Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

Cachoo

Tubi is showing the Stieg Larsson trilogy starring the wonderful Noomi Rapace (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.) I enjoyed binging them especially as the last two are really like one long film.

PeterG

I'm not sure why Blended was on my To See list, especially as it stars Adam Sandler (generally not a favourite of mine). But I'm glad it was. Yes, it's a stupid comedy, but I gotta admit, it made me laugh. Sandler and Drew Barrymore make a great screen couple. Their blind date starts off the movie and everything goes horribly wrong, even though they have the fine dining of Hooters to enjoy. :lol: The lives of these two continue to intertwine until they end up in Africa together. (It does all make sense in the movie, I swear!) Could love blossom? The odds are good! :D Blended has a great supporting cast that includes Kevin Nealon, Bella Thorne, Joel McHale, Wendi McLendon-Covey (TV's The Goldbergs), Terry Crews...and Shaquille O'Neal (why not?).

Blended made 128 million on a 45 million budget. 50 First Dates (their second movie) made almost 200 million on a 75 million budget. And their first movie, The Wedding Singer, made 123 million on an 18 million budget. I have no idea why they haven't made more movies together. Thoughts??

Trailer for Blended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6cKLTmDB-k

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I want to see Oppenheimer in a theater. I have not been to a movie since early 2020 but I can't wait to see this. I wrote a long post about this on my Facebook to explain why but it won't let me post it. I hate iPad. Too many problems.

Last edited:

Allskate

I want to see Oppenheimer in a theater. I have not been to a movie since early 2020 but I can't wait to see this. I wrote a long post about this on my Facebook to explain why but it won't let me post it. I hate iPad and Facebook both.
I saw it in a theater tonight and definitely recommend the movie. It's nothing like Dunkirk, where I was so glad that I saw it in the theater instead of on my tv. Sure, you get to see the test bomb in Los Alamos on a big screen (and the noise is really loud in a couple of parts) and there are short visual sciency interludes at the beginning, but I don't think it would have been a major loss if I didn't see it in the theater. I might even have liked to pause and rewind a few times because there are a lot of characters and so much going on to keep track of. I think I would follow it better from the beginning watching it a second time. Prior to seeing the movie, I wasn't aware of what happened to Oppenheimer after the war and therefore was a bit confused at the beginning of the movie and it took me a little while to figure out what the various hearings were and when they took place and why. (The movie is not entirely chronological and jumps around a bit in the timeline, which also makes it more difficult to understand how Oppenheimer's thoughts about the bomb and nuclear weapons changed and developed over time.)

There weren't very many people in the theater. I wonder if that's because the strike has limited promotion of the film. Or, maybe there simply aren't that many people interested in it. It's not a typical summer movie. I hope it gets an audience. It's rated R because of the sex and nudity (which seemed unnecessary to me and not the reason for including Pugh's character in a long film that crams in a lot). I hope the rating doesn't turn off parents from taking some older kids to the movie.

IMO, this is a great movie to provoke discussion. I think it raises a lot of thought-provoking questions, and not just about the bombing of Japan and the creation and proliferation of nuclear weapons. It raises issues about abuse of power to chill speech and get revenge and it raises issues of McCarthyism. Plenty of issues that resonate today.

I don't think Nolan does a great job writing Oppenheimer's relationship with Emily Blunt's character, but Emily Blunt is great in the scenes at the end of the movie. IMO, the standout performance is from Robert Downey, Jr. I think this is the best performance I've seen from him.

Last edited:

honey

I agree @Allskate Robert Downey Jr was fantastic.

I felt this wasn’t Emily Blunt’s best performance, but also agree she was great in some of the scenes later in the film. Her accent is, um,…a bit wandering throughout lol

Overall the movie was good though. I appreciated seeing it on the big screen. Though I admit I’m now so used to watching at things at home with subtitles on that there were multiple times near the beginning where I was feeling slightly lost because I didn’t hear what the character said properly. Perhaps I need to get my millennial ears checked :lol:.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I saw Barbie in an advanced screening tonight. I hadn’t read any plot summaries or reviews so I didn’t know what to expect. Fantastic, 10/10 and the whole cycle of emotions throughout. Some great music, too.
Got to see the opening night matinee and agree, agree, agree! :love:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw it in a theater tonight and definitely recommend the movie. It's nothing like Dunkirk, where I was so glad that I saw it in the theater instead of on my tv. Sure, you get to see the test bomb in Los Alamos on a big screen (and the noise is really loud in a couple of parts) and there are short visual sciency interludes at the beginning, but I don't think it would have been a major loss if I didn't see it in the theater. I might even have liked to pause and rewind a few times because there are a lot of characters and so much going on to keep track of. I think I would follow it better from the beginning watching it a second time. Prior to seeing the movie, I wasn't aware of what happened to Oppenheimer after the war and therefore was a bit confused at the beginning of the movie and it took me a little while to figure out what the various hearings were and when they took place and why. (The movie is not entirely chronological and jumps around a bit in the timeline, which also makes it more difficult to understand how Oppenheimer's thoughts about the bomb and nuclear weapons changed and developed over time.)

There weren't very many people in the theater. I wonder if that's because the strike has limited promotion of the film. Or, maybe there simply aren't that many people interested in it. It's not a typical summer movie. I hope it gets an audience. It's rated R because of the sex and nudity (which seemed unnecessary to me and not the reason for including Pugh's character in a long film that crams in a lot). I hope the rating doesn't turn off parents from taking some older kids to the movie.

IMO, this is a great movie to provoke discussion. I think it raises a lot of thought-provoking questions, and not just about the bombing of Japan and the creation and proliferation of nuclear weapons. It raises issues about abuse of power to chill speech and get revenge and it raises issues of McCarthyism. Plenty of issues that resonate today.

I don't think Nolan does a great job writing Oppenheimer's relationship with Emily Blunt's character, but Emily Blunt is great in the scenes at the end of the movie. IMO, the standout performance is from Robert Downey, Jr. I think this is the best performance I've seen from him.

Is it worth seeing in Imax or is standard good enough?
It is easy to get Standard tickets. IMAX near me seems filling up.

Allskate

I agree @Allskate Robert Downey Jr was fantastic.

I felt this wasn’t Emily Blunt’s best performance, but also agree she was great in some of the scenes later in the film. Her accent is, um,…a bit wandering throughout lol

Overall the movie was good though. I appreciated seeing it on the big screen. Though I admit I’m now so used to watching at things at home with subtitles on that there were multiple times near the beginning where I was feeling slightly lost because I didn’t hear what the character said properly. Perhaps I need to get my millennial ears checked :lol:.

I was wondering about her accent. I looked it up, and her character supposedly spent much of her childhood as a German-American growing up in affluent Pennsylvania and also spent time in England and Germany, so maybe Blunt was trying to come up with an accent based on that. Or, maybe her own accent crept in?

I think the real problem was that Blunt's character (and her character's interaction and relationship with her husband) was poorly written. Most of what we learn about her is the marriage history that she recounts to him. She was a biologist. We learn about this only with a passing reference to this fact. In real life, she spent some of her time working in a lab at Los Alamos, which might have worked better in the movie. She also supposedly was Oppenheimer's confidant, but you get little sense of this except in the most oblique way.

I don't think Nolan did much better with Pugh's character, who was a rare female psychologist in the 1940s as well as a communist party member. Other than the very brief interaction regarding communism when she meets Oppenheimer, we learn very little about this, but do learn that she gets turned on by being read Sanskrit and doesn't like flowers. (Maybe these last parts really were in the 700-page book that was the basis for the 3-hour movie, but if Nolan was going to include her character on screen, IMO he should have made better choices with the adaptation.)

Although Robert Downey Jr. gave a great performance, I think his is the part that should have been more curtailed, cutting out the Congressional hearing. IMO, Nolan was trying to ram multiple movies into one and everything suffered. Even if he hadn't cut back and forth between dates, it still was too much packed in there to process well.

I know that I'm coming across as critical, but I really do think that this movie is well worth seeing.

Is it worth seeing in Imax or is standard good enough?
It is easy to get Standard tickets. IMAX near me seems filling up.
I didn't see it in IMAX, but if you'd like to see it in IMAX and it's an option, why not? Just know that the majority of the movie takes place indoors, largely in offices, classrooms, etc.

ETA: A piece on Oppenheimer and IMAX: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/only-19-u-theaters-show-132627130.html

Going into the movie, I think it helps to know that Robert Downey Jr.'s character doesn't meet Oppenheimer until after the war and that the movie includes scenes from a 1958 Congressional hearing on RDJ's character's nomination to be Secretary of Commerce and also includes a 1953 hearing to revoke Oppenheimer's security clearance.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I was wondering about her accent. I looked it up, and her character supposedly spent much of her childhood as a German-American growing up in affluent Pennsylvania and also spent time in England and Germany, so maybe Blunt was trying to come up with an accent based on that. Or, maybe her own accent crept in?

I think the real problem was that Blunt's character (and her character's interaction and relationship with her husband) was poorly written. Most of what we learn about her is the marriage history that she recounts to him. She was a biologist. We learn about this only with a passing reference to this fact. In real life, she spent some of her time working in a lab at Los Alamos, which might have worked better in the movie. She also supposedly was Oppenheimer's confidant, but you get little sense of this except in the most oblique way.

I don't think Nolan did much better with Pugh's character, who was a rare female psychologist in the 1940s as well as a communist party member. Other than the very brief interaction regarding communism when she meets Oppenheimer, we learn very little about this, but do learn that she gets turned on by being read Sanskrit and doesn't like flowers. (Maybe these last parts really were in the 700-page book that was the basis for the 3-hour movie, but if Nolan was going to include her character on screen, IMO he should have made better choices with the adaptation.)

Although Robert Downey Jr. gave a great performance, I think his is the part that should have been more curtailed, cutting out the Congressional hearing. IMO, Nolan was trying to ram multiple movies into one and everything suffered. Even if he hadn't cut back and forth between dates, it still was too much packed in there to process well.

I know that I'm coming across as critical, but I really do think that this movie is well worth seeing.

I didn't see it in IMAX, but if you'd like to see it in IMAX and it's an option, why not? Just know that the majority of the movie takes place indoors, largely in offices, classrooms, etc.

ETA: A piece on Oppenheimer and IMAX: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/only-19-u-theaters-show-132627130.html

Going into the movie, I think it helps to know that Robert Downey Jr.'s character doesn't meet Oppenheimer until after the war and that the movie includes scenes from a 1958 Congressional hearing on RDJ's character's nomination to be Secretary of Commerce and also includes a 1953 hearing to revoke Oppenheimer's security clearance.

Just got back from seeing 'Oppenheimer' on a standard screen. Decided against the IMAX, partly because that theatre seemed crowded, while the standard one was showing less than half full. My thinking was that I could see it on the IMAX next week if I wanted to.

For this movie the IMAX is not important. Not really a giant screen movie (Dunkirk was meant for the giant screen) other than for the bomb test (very well presented) and some landscapes of New Mexico. Both were only a small part of the movie.

This movie has quite a cast. So many top actors!

I thought the movie was overall good but not the masterpiece I had anticipated. I had read a lot about Oppenheimer while in college. My favorite book was 'Brighter than a thousand suns' by Robert Jungk. It was the story of the first atom bomb. This movie is a biopic which goes way beyond the first bomb.

I didn't care much for the play 'The case of J. Robert Oppenheimer', which was About the security clearance hearings. The movie was much more interesting in that regard.

In school and college I loved reading stories about famous scientists, for inspiration. It was fun to see actors playing roles of Bohr, Bethe, etc. (and of course Einstein). Understanding the science was easy. For the movie they really simplified it. I had studied Quantum Mechanics, but I didn't know that it was Oppenheimer who first pushed it. At least the movie created that impression. Not sure if it was true.

I thought the first hour (about one third of the movie) seemed disjointed. Florence Pugh was good as Jean Tatlock, but it was a very small role. I had read about most of the characters, but I dont recall reading about Lewis Strauss (played very well by Robert Downey Jr). Cillian Murphy was very believable as Oppenheimer. I never cared about the real life Kitty Oppenheimer. Emily Blunt was just ok playing that character, which was not a strong one.

The movie picked up after the Manhattan project (and Matt Damon) entered the screen. What followed - the atom bomb work, public reactions, scientists' reactions, the hearings about his security clearance were interesting, but I may need to see it again to understand it better. I do remember reading how the hearings ended.

I do feel that a chronological story would have been more effective than the multiple flashbacks. Christopher Nolan produced, directed and wrote the screenplay For this movie. That is commendable but I would give the screenplay only a B plus.

I thought the background music sometimes overpowered the dialogues. The stars, etc. were overdone in the first part of the movie.

I didn't care much about the way Einstein was used in it- not very effective. I would have liked to hear more protests from Einstein and other scientists after the US bombed Japan.

This was my first movie in a theatre in three years! I wore the mask throughout. What made me go there was the subject matter. In college I was totally fascinated by Oppenheimer's story and used to look for books about him in the library.

7.5-8/10 for now. It could change after I see it again.

Allskate

I saw Barbie in an advanced screening tonight. I hadn’t read any plot summaries or reviews so I didn’t know what to expect. Fantastic, 10/10 and the whole cycle of emotions throughout. Some great music, too.

I thought Barbie was so funny and so much fun! I literally laughed out loud at points. I'll definitely watch it again.

There is tons of Barbie merchandise. I want to see a guy walking down the street wearing an "I'm Kenough" hoodie. :lol:

PeterG

Went to the movies today to see the new Mission Impossible movie. As we had our tickets checked by staff, they mentioned that over 2,000 people had been through their doors that day and it wasn't even 4pm yet. I think he also said that Barbie was selling about twice as many tickets as Oppenheimer. But on tonight's news, two film critics reviewed the two movies and both said Oppenheimer was the better movie. So it sounds like Barbie will win at the box office, but Oppenheimer will win out come awards time.

So while we're talking about these two movies, I am wondering of Tom Cruise will dominate the movie world again this year, pretty much just like he did last year. The new Mission Impossilble movie was pretty fantastic. It's two hours and 45 minutes long and the only time I noticed how long the movie was happened only for five to ten minutes with about one hour left to go. Two minor characters has out some plot points and I think they could have done that quicker. But the rest of the movie is amazing with some brilliant action scenes and some really nice connections between characters. A few good funny moments. But the final action sequence had me jumping in my seat and squirming in my seat and making me gasp. Cruise certainly knows how to surround himself by the most genius people in the movie business to come up with movies that just do everything right. And I think his acting is still improving with each project.

One thing I mentioned to my friends after the movie was about how there were a lot of actors who hit that 20 million dollar paycheque mark around the same time. John Travolta, Julia Roberts, Eddie Murphy, Sandra Bullock, Will Smith, Jim Carrey, Tom Hanks. And now, all these years later, none of them can bring people to the theatres anywhere near what Cruise can do. Pretty amazing.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I thought Barbie was so funny and so much fun! I literally laughed out loud at points. I'll definitely watch it again.

There is tons of Barbie merchandise. I want to see a guy walking down the street wearing an "I'm Kenough" hoodie. :lol:
I want to buy an I'm Kenough hoodie honestly. Particularly before Halloween because it would solve a very specific problem for me regarding the costume contest at work.

I really loved Barbie. It was so much fun, the acting was great, I love seeing America Ferrera in things that are good, she's been a favourite of mine since Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, it was a great way to spend an evening and I definitely want to see it again before it leaves the theatre.
Went to the movies today to see the new Mission Impossible movie. As we had our tickets checked by staff, they mentioned that over 2,000 people had been through their doors that day and it wasn't even 4pm yet. I think he also said that Barbie was selling about twice as many tickets as Oppenheimer. But on tonight's news, two film critics reviewed the two movies and both said Oppenheimer was the better movie. So it sounds like Barbie will win at the box office, but Oppenheimer will win out come awards time.

So while we're talking about these two movies, I am wondering of Tom Cruise will dominate the movie world again this year, pretty much just like he did last year. The new Mission Impossilble movie was pretty fantastic. It's two hours and 45 minutes long and the only time I noticed how long the movie was happened only for five to ten minutes with about one hour left to go. Two minor characters has out some plot points and I think they could have done that quicker. But the rest of the movie is amazing with some brilliant action scenes and some really nice connections between characters. A few good funny moments. But the final action sequence had me jumping in my seat and squirming in my seat and making me gasp. Cruise certainly knows how to surround himself by the most genius people in the movie business to come up with movies that just do everything right. And I think his acting is still improving with each project.

One thing I mentioned to my friends after the movie was about how there were a lot of actors who hit that 20 million dollar paycheque mark around the same time. John Travolta, Julia Roberts, Eddie Murphy, Sandra Bullock, Will Smith, Jim Carrey, Tom Hanks. And now, all these years later, none of them can bring people to the theatres anywhere near what Cruise can do. Pretty amazing.
Honestly I don't think Tom Cruise can, Barbenheimer coming the week after Mission Impossible kind of kills that for him. Especially because Oppenheimer kicked Mission Impossible out of the IMAX screens.

Just driving through the parking lot of our theatre to get to the restaurant for supper before seeing Barbie we could see the parking lot was pretty much full and that was just for the matinees, I've never seen it so full that early in the day. Our screen for Barbie was also packed, I don't think I've been in a theatre that full since Avengers: Endgame.

Allskate

I want to buy an I'm Kenough hoodie honestly. Particularly before Halloween because it would solve a very specific problem for me regarding the costume contest at work.

I really loved Barbie. It was so much fun, the acting was great, I love seeing America Ferrera in things that are good, she's been a favourite of mine since Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, it was a great way to spend an evening and I definitely want to see it again before it leaves the theatre.
There are "I am Kenough" hoodies for sale. If you want one, you might want to buy it soon. They're sold out in most sizes on the Mattel website, but you probably can find one elsewhere. Pair it with some pink Birkenstocks!

Greta Gerwig wanted America Ferrera to be in the movie. America said she didn't play with Barbies growing up and didn't see herself in Barbie world, but she wanted to read the script because it came from Greta. I thought America did a great job, especially with that monologue. Another fun fact: Greta and Kate McKinnon went to college together.

Last edited:

Allskate

I think he also said that Barbie was selling about twice as many tickets as Oppenheimer. But on tonight's news, two film critics reviewed the two movies and both said Oppenheimer was the better movie. So it sounds like Barbie will win at the box office, but Oppenheimer will win out come awards time.
I was far more interested in seeing Oppenheimer than Barbie, but ended up thinking that Barbie was the better movie.

MSNBC has been promoting Oppenheimer heavily this week, not just in ads, but in their shows. (I just watched the MSNBC documentary on Oppenheimer and preferred it to the movie. I thought it was easier to understand and more focused. I found that it packed more of an emotional punch than the movie did and did a better job dealing with the moral issues surrounding the use of the bombs on Japan. It also did a better job discussing the women in Oppenheimer's life. I highly recommend it.)

But, I think that Barbie has done more marketing overall and is selling far more tickets than Oppenheimer this weekend. I'd be surprised if this difference doesn't widen even more over time. IMO, word of mouth will help Barbie, but the opposite will be the case for Oppenheimer. Yes, the anti-woke folks may refuse to see Barbie and many will presume incorrectly that it is for girls and women because Barbies historically have been targeted to girls or because there is an anti-patriarchy message in the movie. But, there will be lots of people going to see Barbie and I think there will be a significant number of people who see it multiple times.

OTOH, Rotten Tomatoes given Oppenheimer slightly higher reviewer scores than Barbie. 94 v. 90. I don't think Barbie will get many major nominations at awards time other than the Golden Globes which has a comedy/musical category. Barbie probably isn't the type of movie that generally is seriously considered for awards.

IMO, Oppenheimer is more the kind of movie that tends to be considered for awards and appeal to Oscar voters. But, I kind of hope that Oppenheimer will not win come awards time because that probably would mean that this is not a very good year for movies. I don't think it is a truly great movie, and I don't think it has a lot of truly great performances. I'd be fine if only Robert Downey, Jr. gets nominated, though I wouldn't be surprised if Cillian Murphy gets nominated.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

IMO, Oppenheimer is more the kind of movie that tends to be considered for awards and appeal to Oscar voters. But, I kind of hope that Oppenheimer will not win come awards time because that probably would mean that this is not a very good year for movies. I don't think it is a truly great movie, and I don't think it has a lot of truly great performances. I'd be fine if only Robert Downey, Jr. gets nominated, though I wouldn't be surprised if Cillian Murphy gets nominated.

If Napoleon is as good as the trailer hints at when it comes out in November, it’ll get a lot of nominations and awards. Not interested in the Barbie movie and not sure about Oppenheimer yet. I’ve heard that it has A LOT of flashbacks and I think flashbacks in movies either works great or horribly. There’s typically not a middle ground with flashbacks in movies.

I’ll probably go to the movies tomorrow and see Mission Impossible.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
No interest in Barbie or Indiana Jones and despise Tom Cruise.

I would like to see Oppenheimer in IMAX 70mm but won't be travelling to King of Prussia, PA or Cumming, GA so I will have to settle for regular IMAX if I see it locally.

Allskate

If Napoleon is as good as the trailer hints at when it comes out in November, it’ll get a lot of nominations and awards. Not interested in the Barbie movie and not sure about Oppenheimer yet. I’ve heard that it has A LOT of flashbacks and I think flashbacks in movies either works great or horribly. There’s typically not a middle ground with flashbacks in movies.

I didn't think the flashbacks worked. IMO, they made the movie worse.

I'm looking forward to Napoleon.

I'm really hoping that Boys in the Boat, which is supposed to come out at Christmas, does not disappoint. I loved the book. It's non-fiction that reads like fiction. From the moment I read it, I thought it could make a great movie and the type of movie that Oscar voters would love. I hope they haven't screwed up the adaptation.

Last edited:

Cachoo

I did not see either film but I did watch "They Cloned Tyrone" on Netflix. And I had cheddar cheese popcorn. It was an enjoyable two hours. I was especially impressed with John Boyega.

VGThuy

I can see Barbie get a lot of technical nominations and maybe a screenplay nomination since sometimes the writers’ branch will nominate a movie like Barbie.

For those of you that have seen Barbie, how appropriate is it for a somewhat sheltered 12 year old? Some swearing is okay, most sexual innuendo goes over her head, anything explicitly sexual is a no go with her parents.

Allskate

I can see Barbie get a lot of technical nominations and maybe a screenplay nomination since sometimes the writers’ branch will nominate a movie like Barbie.
Definitely. But, I don't think it's the type of film that gets nominations like best film, best director, and acting nominations. I hope I'm wrong. I would like to see a directing and best film nomination, and I would love to see America Ferrera get a best supporting actress nomination for her performance.

For those of you that have seen Barbie, how appropriate is it for a somewhat sheltered 12 year old? Some swearing is okay, most sexual innuendo goes over her head, anything explicitly sexual is a no go with her parents.
I think it's fine. My 12 year-old niece wants to see it because so many of her classmates are seeing it. She will not get the limited subtle sexual innuendo (and wouldn't want to). There is nothing sexually explicit. I told my sister it was age appropriate but that the kid won't appreciate the movie nearly as much as my sister would. There's lots of camp and fun and great sets and costumes, but it's much more than that. I actually think it's a great vehicle for starting a discussion with a 12 year-old girl about certain topics. Gender roles and power. The meaning of "I am Kenough." Cultural norms about beauty. Inclusivity. My niece is learning about fractured fairytales in school, and I think this movie dovetails with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information