Chinese skating news & social media updates pt. 5, 2023 onwards

otisgear

Team China's JGP and GP selection criteria has been announced.

For JGP:
Pairs spots will be determined at the 1st Interclub competition in Shaanxi (Jul 7-12)
Singles and Ice dance spots will be determined at the 4th Interclub competition in Jiaxing (Jul 29-Aug 2)

Those who place first in the junior category at the selection will have priority choice of JGP spots. If any skater/team achieves top 4 at their JGP they will automatically get a second spot (so those who finish 3rd for pairs and 4th for singles/ice dance at the selection are not guaranteed JGP assignment).

For GP:
Selection will be done at the 5th Interclub competition in Sichuan (Aug 14-18)
Skaters who placed top 20 in last season's world rankings automatically qualify and are exempt from the selection trial (only Jin Boyang and Peng/Wang fit this criteria if I'm not mistaken)

Edit: Links to the official selection announcement for JGP and for GP

All in all, fairly sensible selection procedure for once?? I'm pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

On My Own

What is the point of holding these many interclub competitions though? Maybe I've already asked and maybe someone has already said, but it's so baffling.

Still, happy to see skating getting attention, with the announcements of foreign coaching, and Pang/Tong roping in Richaud. Someone even managed to rope in Kolyada to relocate and teach (good choice, easily the best of the Russians from the last quad).

On My Own

Not sure? They weren't eligible for the GP so I didn't have them on my list.
Mind you that there's the newly formed Shi/Wang in Ice Dance now.

Also, the disbanded ID teams don't contain Wang/Liu, so here's hoping the rumours of Wang trying to pair up with a Russian are false altogether.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Mind you that now there's the newly formed Shi/Wang in Ice Dance now.

Also, the disbanded ID teams don't contain Wang/Liu, so here's hoping the rumours of Wang trying to pair up with a Russian are false altogether.
Yeah, Wang/Liu are still listed - way down at 109. Maybe the CFSA is just going to let them drop off after next season???

But... let's celebrate! This WS update means we are SOOOOO close to GP assignments coming out!

On My Own

Yeah, Wang/Liu are still listed - way down at 109. Maybe the CFSA is just going to let them drop off after next season???
I'm happy CFSA seems to have stood its ground. The rumours (apparently) had more credence than I'd thought, so I am hoping this is a dead end to their careers. Not that there was any doubt Liu at least was done, but I didn't have any interest in seeing Wang around either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information