Slate | The Once Unthinkable Revolution Coming to Figure Skating

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
If you want to know what will get more and younger people to watch skating, let me tell you about the hype that Papadakis/Hubbell is getting right now. People I know who have never watched skating are spreading this around their socials even before I get a chance to show them.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Not to be a downer, but many a skater has gone viral and then dropped off the radar. (Do you know how many people sent me James/Cipres videos?) We'll have to wait and see if this pairing has any more staying power with the general public than the others.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’m laughing that I saw this because I follow Emily Nussbaum on Twitter and she retweeted it. She’s a famous TV critic, not a skating fan (AFAIK).

I think it’s just gorgeous and I’m nothing if not heteronormative. :p

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Not to be a downer, but many a skater has gone viral and then dropped off the radar. (Do you know how many people sent me James/Cipres videos?) We'll have to wait and see if this pairing has any more staying power with the general public than the others.
You are conflating two things. Stuff like this can bring interest to the sport independently of whether or not it brings interest to this particular pairing.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
No, that's not what I meant. I'm talking about the effect on the sport. I think every time a skater or team goes viral (the Browns are another example), there's been a little flare of hope that maybe THIS will be The Thing That Finally Draws the Kids to Skating. I've just gotten cynical about the power of skaters going viral. It's nice that they do, but it never seems to have any lasting benefit for the sport, unfortunately.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
No, that's not what I meant. I'm talking about the effect on the sport. I think every time a skater or team goes viral (the Browns are another example), there's been a little flare of hope that maybe THIS will be The Thing That Finally Draws the Kids to Skating. I've just gotten cynical about the power of skaters going viral. It's nice that they do, but it never seems to have any lasting benefit for the sport, unfortunately.
I understand the cynicism but considering Skate Canada's rule change and the fact that this is something already being considered by the ISU I think this might have more of an impact.

It's showcasing for people that two women, Olympic and World medalists with their male partners no less, can skate at that level and be good. The fact that Madison and Gabriella were going to do this anyway and had been planning it before SC's rule change just makes it really good timing, and for me anyway, a lot more fun.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Why does this keep getting repeated? Haven’t the stats, every time this idea floats around, shown that USFS membership is up to the biggest numbers ever? Interest in the sport around the world is much higher than it was in the VCR days, thanks to social media and streaming. Countries that never dreamed of having many top skaters are now fielding skaters in almost every segment at Worlds. South Korea is in contention for a team medal.

Putting skating on broadcast TV in the US is not going to bring a massive amount of attention to it. People with children are in a generation where they probably don’t watch much broadcast TV anymore.

TikTok and even Instagram haven’t been big enough for long enough to see a long-term ‘did this get new stars into the sport?’

The Hubbell and Papadakis thing may encourage skaters to go a new direction in the sport. It might get more people involved. But what’s the problem if there’s exposure to begin with? All the bigoted fans don’t wanna watch anymore? Well.. bye. They’ve been threatening long enough and yet still manage to stick around.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
The idea of getting to dance or skate with someone of the same sex since that is my orientation would be such a sigh of relief to actually be myself ….. would be so totally cool. Not sure if I want to chuck another guy into the air lol, but I would love to ice dance with him.

👬

MsZem

I see the sea
Practice footage of Hubbell and Papadakis, courtesy of On Ice Perspectives (thanks @Jay42 for sharing)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Crp0G1RO0jX/
And now I will say something that will get me no likes whatsoever: I wasn't a fan. Not because they're two women - both Hubbell and Papadakis are spectacular skaters! But they are very different skaters in terms of style and movement, and for me, at least at the moment, it doesn't quite mesh together yet.

That said, I'm glad they're having fun and trying new things; it's good for skating.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

But they are very different skaters in terms of style and movement

lol well, at this moment they are the only two stepping forward… So let’s take what we can get. It’s not like as of today there’s a long line of same-sex dancers filming their programs lol.

👭

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

you know I live in Hollywood and there’s been talk for the last two years for the Oscars just having best performance lead and best performance supporting taking actor and actress away. I wonder if ice dance sometime down the road could go the same way.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
And now I will say something that will get me no likes whatsoever: I wasn't a fan. Not because they're two women - both Hubbell and Papadakis are spectacular skaters! But they are very different skaters in terms of style and movement, and for me, at least at the moment, it doesn't quite mesh together yet.

That said, I'm glad they're having fun and trying new things; it's good for skating.
I agree. I think Papadakis and Chock would look better together than Pap/Hub. They are just too different.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I would love to see Karina Manta come back, she is magnetic

Who could you imagine seeing her with and for that matter who could you envision seeing Johnson with? Being that they were the first LGBT couple even though opposite sex

sap5

Hmm, to me they are not so different that they cannot come together to create a new style together. Just like many new partnerships.

On My Own

You got 3 likes!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Well, if I'm wrong, I will happily eat crow. :)

The first time I saw adults compete in real life - real adults, not "older" elite athletes at Worlds/Olympics - I was totally blown away. I had no idea that adults could do those things and do them very well. And that's what inspired me to get on the ice myself as an adult. So even if viral videos are here today and gone tomorrow, someone might see that Pap/Hub video and be inspired. The video might not change the sport (not right away, anyway) but it could make a really big difference in someone's life.

Sylvia

TBD
Tweeted by The Future of Figure Skating podcast (Anna Kellar) - "Episode out today [July 10, 2023] with Talia Barrington - we discuss her article in Slate looking at the potential for teams of any gender in ice dance, and what the skating world can learn from Ballroom. Listen on your favorite podcast app or at"

Gris

不做奴才做公民

Sylvia

TBD
I only just realized I meant to post these 2 clips in this GSD thread and not the Skate Canada one...

Collaboration during the French team tour (April 2024): https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6BUC3-o3ny/

Clip of Karina Manta & Gabriella Papadakis spinning together at NYC's Wollman rink in Central Park, filmed by Joe Johnson (March 11): https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4YWQ4yRoy8/

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

I only just realized I meant to post these 2 clips in this GSD thread and not the Skate Canada one...

Collaboration during the French team tour (April 2024): https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6BUC3-o3ny/

Clip of Karina Manta & Gabriella Papadakis spinning together at NYC's Wollman rink in Central Park, filmed by Joe Johnson (March 11): https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4YWQ4yRoy8/

Wowwwww

I love both of these clips, and I’m so glad to see Karina once again. Karina looks fabulous no matter what look she serves. Thank you for posting these.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information