From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Tarasova/Morozov and Mozalev practicing synchronized jumps (at Novogorsk training camp).

Davydenko's skater and Trankov's team are sharing ice time (since each group is so few).

Sylvia

TBD
Medvedeva is quarantining in Moscow right now:

starrynight

Random question. I remember in a few years ago, it was frequently mentioned that Russian male skaters were completing national service (albeit through an elite athlete stream). I remember seeing photos from training and graduations etc. All the top men did this.

I remember reading about the drama of Sinitsina allegedly packing up and leaving her partnership with Ruslan Zhiganshin while he was away at army training.

Are the skaters still doing this?

Medvedeva is quarantining in Moscow right now:

Medvedeva has probably spent about 6 weeks or more in post-travel quarantine throughout this whole thing. Sounds awful.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Medvedeva has probably spent about 6 weeks or more in post-travel quarantine throughout this whole thing. Sounds awful.
She had to leave Japan because her 90 day tourist visa to Japan was about to expire (on July 02) and this was her chance to take Aeroflot citizens recovery flight to Moscow. She could not go to Canada, as Canada is now allowing entry to only the citizens and legal residents. Medvedeva only has a work/study type of visa.

Mr. Kogan/RFFS said that after Medvedeva finishes her two-week quarantine, it will be determine at which rink she will be able to practice (last time in Moscow she practiced at CSKA with some training help from Tarasova).

B. Orser confirmed that Medvedeva will resume training in Toronto once she can enter the country.

starrynight

Is there any word on how the girls are going at Novogorsk? Are they still permanently there or have things relaxed enough for them to go home on the weekends?

I've seen that Team Mishin seem to be on quite an idyllic looking team camp - feeding animals at a petting zoo, swimming in lakes etc. Looks fun.

Mr. Kogan/RFFS said that after Medvedeva finishes her two-week quarantine, it will be determine at which rink she will be able to practice (last time in Moscow she practiced at CSKA with some training help from Tarasova).

B. Orser confirmed that Medvedeva will resume training in Toronto once she can enter the country.

That amount of running around the world looking for accomodation gives me anxiety. I wonder if they packed up home in Toronto or if that is just sitting there empty?

Tinami Amori

Is there any word on how the girls are going at Novogorsk? Are they still permanently there or have things relaxed enough for them to go home on the weekends?
The training is going well. Novogorsk camp is also hosting R. Gymnastics team and Averyn sisters and other gymnasts visited Tutberidze's team practice session, and the skaters visit the gymnasts. Both sides are very impressed. I did not save the links just a photo.

The athletes do not go home on weekends. That's the whole point to be isolated in a training camp during the xxxxxxxxx. They were all tested, came out "negative", and can only interact among themselves, the coaches and the service crews who was also tested. This is the rule for all training camps now.

Novogorsk training camp grounds is a lovely area out in nature, and the facilities are very comfortable. Each athlete has his/her own room and access to various amenities.

I've seen that Team Mishin seem to be on quite an idyllic looking team camp - feeding animals at a petting zoo, swimming in lakes etc. Looks fun.
Mishin, Mishina and his skaters were expecting for St. Pete's rinks to open anyday so they were taking it easy while waiting. But that did not happen. Tomorrow they are going to Kislovodsk training camp.

That amount of running around the world looking for accomodation gives me anxiety. I wonder if they packed up home in Toronto or if that is just sitting there empty?
Medvedeva and her mother still have the Toronto apartment.

Susieqq

She had to leave Japan because her 90 day tourist visa to Japan was about to expire (on July 02) and this was her chance to take Aeroflot citizens recovery flight to Moscow. She could not go to Canada, as Canada is now allowing entry to only the citizens and legal residents. Medvedeva only has a work/study type of visa.
Do you know when the said citizen's recovery flight was?
I know there were one or two flights in the beginning of June but didn't notice the one in the end of June.

greenapple

Medvedeva did not take an Aeroflot flight to Moscow because there are none. She had to take a flight to a city in Europe and then drive to Moscow.

mjb52

There was a cute video of some soccer (?) players who first flew and then rode bicycles from the Finnish border to get back into Russia to train. This was a little while ago so I don't remember all the details.

Tinami Amori

Medvedeva did not take an Aeroflot flight to Moscow because there are none. She had to take a flight to a city in Europe and then drive to Moscow.
There are no commercial SU/Aeroflot flights, but there are "citizen recovery" charter flights and SU is the contracted party. Last departure ex Japan i think was at the end of the 2nd week in June. I have no idea it Medvedeva was on it, but her arrival to Moscow is said (in some social media) to be "middle of June", so it corresponds.

How do you exactly picture any Russian citizen "driving from a city in Europe to Moscow"? :)
  • first she needs a Schengen visa..... unless it is Minsk, and there are no flights to Minsk ex Tokyo, not lately... :D
  • which european car rental agency would rent a one-way car to Moscow in the current situation?
  • even if it is a direct flight on Finnair to Helsinki (there are some ex TYO) there are still border crossing/visa issues if people get out of the airport to take ground transport.

Anywhoo..... she is in Moscow now.

----

(for those who understand Russian). Charming and informal video-interview with Artur Daniielian.
Few fyi's:
  • he started skating at 3-1/2 years, broke his arm immediately, and returned to ice when he was already 4 years of age.
  • after his first rink and coach he was directed to Moscow to further his skating career.
  • he started with Kudryavtzev's training camp, then visited CSKF/Buyanova (because he noted her as a coach during 2014 Olys), Buyanova tested him and accepted into the group. At the time he had all 3x's but not in combo.
  • He is keeping his SP, and will have a new FS, not naming the music just yet, it will be an "oriental/middle-eastern" theme.

Last edited:

Hindernisse

I don't know the entry requirements for Canada, but if Medvedeva has a residence permit there (which I assume she has) she can be allowed outside Russia even with the border closed. How to get to Toronto with limited flights out of Moscow is another question.

Tinami Amori

I don't know the entry requirements for Canada, but if Medvedeva has a residence permit there (which I assume she has) she can be allowed outside Russia even with the border closed. How to get to Toronto with limited flights out of Moscow is another question.

I understood Medvedeva had a study/work type of visa. She had to declare a purpose of her stay in Canada, and had to put down "skating lessons/training".... that's an educational purpose.

Tinami Amori

a little bit of old history in the life of Alina Zagitova, recaped from an old tape.

• (when i was little) i broke my arm (on the ice), then later at a spartakiad competition broke my leg. then i had to learn all over how to walk, then had to learn now to skate all over.
  • now i know my goal in life (turns away crying). but i know one thing, by accomplishing something in figure skating i am helping my parents (financially).

-----
Alina Zagitova makes the Forbes list of "40 most successful celebrities in Russia under the age of 40" (Alina is number 31).
Her annual income from 2019 is 1.1 mil USD according to Forbes

------
New video from Shiseido: Behind the Scenes on SHISEIDO Transcend Boundaries | Alina Zagitova
(has some nice skating moments)

Ka3sha

Alexei Erokhov (former JWC) switched from Tutberidze to Victoria Butsaeva

And Tatiana Mishina commented on Kolyada’s coaching change - apparently, the Fed asked Mishin to take Kolyada and it didn’t take long for him (Mishin) to make a decision since he knows that Mikhail isn’t done yet and he can help him

Tinami Amori

Alexei Erokhov (former JWC) switched from Tutberidze to Victoria Butsaeva
The talk of the "insiders" is that Erokhov has the same condition as Enbert, which affected his performance last couple of years, including a sudden withdraw after a warm-up at the Russian Cup Finals. It was Team Tutberidze that held a discussion with him about his future and released him to skate in a less demanding Volchkova-Butsaeva's group.

Volchkova-Butsaeva said the following over the telephone to the reporter:
"Alexei started to work in our group. I spoke with Daniil (Gleikhengauz - a coach on the Team Tutberidze), the athlete himself and Eteri Tutberidze's team had a discussion, and the issue (of this transfer) they decided among themselves and agreed upon (brought it to a closure).

"Алексей начал работу в нашей группе. Я поговорила с Даниилом (Глейхенгаузом - тренером группы Тутберидзе), спортсмен тоже поговорил с командой Этери Георгиевны, этот вопрос (перехода) они между собой решили и закрыли".

hanca

Values her privacy
The talk of the "insiders" is that Erokhov has the same condition as Enbert, which affected his performance last couple of years, including a sudden withdraw after a warm-up at the Russian Cup Finals.

It was Team Tutberidze that held a discussion with him about his future and released him to skate in a less demanding Volchkova-Butsaeva's group.
Is the phrase ‘released him’ meant as a polite way of saying ‘kicked him out of her group because she didn’t see any potential in him any more’?

Tinami Amori

Is the phrase ‘released him’ meant as a polite way of saying ‘kicked him out of her group because she didn’t see any potential in him any more’?
She did not kick him out. Erohov was seen helping Dudakov to train younger kids. He was not sure about his next step. If he has same heart condition as Enbert and wants to skate, he should skate more as a recreational activity, not with high level training. A realistic joint assesment (by athlete and coaches) of one's abilities is better than lies or ignoring the condition.

If Team Tuberidze continued to train him and if he had an accident or got hurt further - they would be blamed even more. This way he can still skate but at his own rate and speed. Eteri's group as any training group, either gets government funding or is paid by skaters/federations, they can easily keep a skater for personal gain, they get paid one way or another. Morisi shows mediocre results but stays.

This never makes the news, but Eteri actually did a lot of good for several skaters by advising them to switch to pairs or dance, or to another level of coaching, and even helped to arrange such changes. Pavluchenko (if i remember correctly) started as a single skater in Eteri's group, and Eteri set her up to be a pairs skater when Pavluchenko struggled with some jumps. (i remember it was Pavluchenko, but if it was some other of the top junior pairs skating ladies let me know her name... my recollection that it was Pavluchenko).

Last edited:

DobrinFan

The talk of the "insiders" is that Erokhov has the same condition as Enbert, which affected his performance last couple of years, including a sudden withdraw after a warm-up at the Russian Cup Finals.

The last few years he has had a fracture that he kept relapsing. He said so in this interview last year and that's what prevented him from going to JrW.

“After the final of the Russian Cup, we returned to Moscow, turned to the doctors who said that I had a relapse of the previous injury - a stress fracture of the leg. Because of this, I was forbidden to ride, and it is clear that I could not go to Zagreb, to the junior world championship.

Did not ride a month and a half. He was engaged only in physical therapy and in the gym. It seems to have healed everything. Came out on the ice. Week slipped. I jumped a couple of days. But he felt pain again. Did an MRI. It turned out that the injury did not heal. I had to be treated.

Now I can give a little physical exertion, but jumping is undesirable until June. Just before the start of our camp in Novogorsk. Therefore, so far I am only engaged in sliding and in the gym.

Here, he talks about his relapse. Like 3 times by June of last year:

He also mentioned being injured at last year's JrNats prior to performing there. Only had 1 month to recover his jumps

And there is a fan that said after this year's Cup Final, he relapse the same injury, wouldn't be surprised if that very injury kept him from performing this entire past season as well.

hanca

Values her privacy
If Team Tuberidze continued to train him and if he had an accident or got hurt further - they would be blamed even more. This way he can still skate but at his own rate and speed. Eteri's group as any training group, either gets government funding or is paid by skaters/federations, they can easily keep a skater for personal gain, they get paid one way or another. Morisi shows mediocre results but stays.
It doesn’t make sense though. Erokhov is not well enough to do elite skating in her group, but ‘together’ they agreed that he is well enough to do elite skating in a group of another elite coach? That’s like saying that someone is not well enough to train with Tutberidze, but let’s send him to Orser! You said that Erokhov has the same heart condition as Enbert; have you noticed that Enbert was not allowed to skate? No one suggested that he should continue skating with another coach.

Tutberidze seems to have some soft spot for Kvietevashvilli. He is the only one who is forgiven not getting results. Other male skaters (Pitkeev and Voronov) described that when they did not have the results, she sort of gave up on them.

hanca

Values her privacy
This never makes the news, but Eteri actually did a lot of good for several skaters by advising them to switch to pairs or dance, or to another level of coaching, and even helped to arrange such changes. Pavluchenko (if i remember correctly) started as a single skater in Eteri's group, and Eteri set her up to be a pairs skater when Pavluchenko struggled with some jumps. (i remember it was Pavluchenko, but if it was some other of the top junior pairs skating ladies let me know her name... my recollection that it was Pavluchenko).
Tutberidze frequently gets rid of students ‘who are not good enough’ by sending them do another discipline. You are right, it was Pavliuschenko to whom she advised to go to pairs. From her group, Tarasenko also moved to pairs (but did not like it and gave up after one season). Pitkeev tried ice dance (but was too injured to do it seriously). Her daughter Diana moved to pairs. Kunitsa moved to pairs. Kanysheva moved to ice dance. Skirda moved to dance and then disappeared. And that’s just a few out of my head. I am sure there is more of them.

ETA: Didn’t Frolov also change discipline? Or am I mistaken?

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

The last few years he has had a fracture that he kept relapsing. He said so in this interview last year and that's what prevented him from going to JrW.
he does have this too, poor guy. i also read a comment on a russian chat that he also has a lower back problems, which started as early as novice when he was with Klimkin and continued up to now. Anywhoooo..... hopefully a different regime of training at Butsaeva's group will work better for him.

Butsaeva's group has many young men Erohov's age and level (and 12-13? guys in total) and only 3-4 young girls. Erohov will be in good company. Photo of Butsaev's skaters who went to the training camp.

Alexey wrote a beautiful open letter-post to Team Tutberidze, and posted in his IG.
"I don’t want to say a lot, but I will say a huge human thanks to these people who made me not only an athlete, but also a person. You have raised a sporty character in me, I am very grateful to you for all the warm years of working with you. But, unfortunately, in life it happens that the ways of people diverge and in sport this is no exception. You remain very close people to me and I want to thank you once again and also want to say thanks to everyone I worked with on your team."

Tinami Amori

Ka3sha

Evgenia Medvedeva will be training in CSKA with Elena Buyanova while she is in Moscow. Brian Orser is still her coach and they will be constantly in touch

(that doesn’t mean anything, she usually trains at that rink when she is Moscow)

DobrinFan

International figure skating competitions may not take place this year. Russia is preparing for the Cup and the national championship

As two sources familiar with the situation told SE, it is highly probable that the ISU will not be able to hold a single international competition until the end of the year. The main obstacle is not even the coronavirus pandemic, but the legal norms that states have introduced to curb the spread of infection.

ISU is making efforts to find countries that are ready to accept competitions with open borders, but there is no certainty that all athletes will be able to come to them and return to their places. The Russian Figure Skating Federation has already notified Russian athletes that with a high degree of probability the 2020/21 season will consist of the stages of the Russian Cup and the Russian Championship. Control rentals and special “challengers” will also be held, but the season will be at least until the end of the year domestic. Sources estimate the likelihood of such an outcome at 80-90 percent.

https://m.sport-express.ru/figure-s...ovitsya-k-kubku-i-chempionatu-strany-1688085/

hanca

Values her privacy
Well, if we don’t have JGP, GP and challengers, at least Russians are going to have the Russian cups and then the nationals around Christmas. I know that safety must be the priority, but it would suck not having any skating at all between September and December. If the way to qualify for the nationals will be only through the Russian cups (because no one will be able to get to the nationals by having a GP event or getting into JGPF), the cups will be attended even by the top teams, unlike other years. So if there will be five events and all skaters or teams have to attend two, it will be pretty decent level in all competitions.

Bigbird

Well, if we don’t have JGP, GP and challengers, at least Russians are going to have the Russian cups and then the nationals around Christmas. I know that safety must be the priority, but it would suck not having any skating at all between September and December. If the way to qualify for the nationals will be only through the Russian cups (because no one will be able to get to the nationals by having a GP event or getting into JGPF), the cups will be attended even by the top teams, unlike other years. So if there will be five events and all skaters or teams have to attend two, it will be pretty decent level in all competitions.

As long as they don't get sick along the way.
This is a time to gently improve and work at your leisure since there's no pressure to compete. Silver lining maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information