British Skating News, 2022 and beyond

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Double post because I’m failing at quoting on my phone.

Would Edward’s senior men’s score qualify him under the criteria for Junior Worlds?
The latest version of the criteria specifies that skaters have to compete at the highest level they’ve qualified for at the British Championships but are still eligible for international assignments at a lower level. That’s not specifically in the context of selection for championship teams but if it doesn’t, much as I like Freddie’s skating, this would seem like an obvious opportunity for selection committee discretion to override the specifics of the criteria.
I’m guessing Lydia and Harry will get another international to try to get the SP mins for the 2nd world spot. Were they anywhere close to it?
I think there are pairs at Bavarian Open and Challenge Cup before the deadline, so they should have another chance to get the minimum. I think their main problem (aside from the fact the the minimum has gone up 2 points which seems generally bizarre given the decimated pairs field this season) is that this year’s SP lift is the one they have the most trouble with. If it was still last year’s requirements they’d probably have squeaked it. They’ve improved a lot over the last year though - no more invalid elements! - so I hope with a couple more months they can tidy everything up a bit, get a few positive GOEs and fingers crossed for a trip to Worlds.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Euros team announced:

Natasha McKay
Reserve: Nina Povey

Graham Newberry
Reserve: Edward Appleby

Anastasia Vaipan-Law / Luke Digby

Lilah Fear / Lewis Gibson

I guess Nina got the reserve spot by selection committee discretion, since according to the published criteria Kristin Spours is the second ranked woman (albeit not by much).

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the FISU World University Games thread in GSD:
Elliott Thompson (GBR) posted on Oct. 26 (https://www.instagram.com/p/CkLc_i_oXeT/) that he has been selected to compete but "As this event is purely self funded" he has a GoFundMe to help him with the expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/f/elliott-thompson-winter-university-games
South Pasadenan News article on California-raised Henry Privett-Mendoza (coached by Yebin Mok :)) that mentions at the end that he will compete in Lake Placid next month (Dec. 12): https://southpasadenan.com/local-ic...a-gets-bronze-medal-at-british-championships/
Excerpt:
In addition to his skating, Privett-Mendoza is studying History [as a 2nd year student at University of Sheffield] with a keen interest in the era of Great Migration while also producing/hosting a podcast on classic movies and culture. His hobbies include cooking, music and languages – he is currently learning Welsh and Korean, having studied Mandarin and Spanish in high school. “It’s been a real challenge going to school full-time and training,” he says. “I’m glad I was able to perform well enough and I hope to improve as the season moves on.”
Privett-Mendoza will soon be returning to South Pasadena to train for his next competition, the 2023 World University Games in Lake Placid, New York January 10-24, 2023.
Link to his website with skating, podcast info & more: https://www.tigresden.com/henryskates

Trivia: Henry placed 7th in the Novice Men's event at 2019 U.S. Nationals in Detroit.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Published by BIS today: https://www.iceskating.org.uk/post/junior-worlds-figure

BIS Selections for 2023 Junior Worlds Figure Skating Championships – Calgary, Canada 27 February -5 March 2023

The Great Britain team to compete at the 2023 ISU Junior Worlds Figure Skating Championships comprises of the following skaters:

Women
Alexa Severn (score pending) - she needs the Junior FS minimum of 38 (currently 37.38)
Reserve – Arabella Sear-Watkins

Men
Edward Appleby
Reserve – TBC (score pending)

Ice Dance
Phebe Bekker & James Hernandez
Ashlie Slatter and Atl Ongay-Perez

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Fingers crossed that Alexa can get her FS minimum!

For the men's reserve spot, Freddie Leggott, Jedidiah Lincoln and Connor Bray all have the SP minimum and have come within 1 point for the FS. Freddie leads the qualification criteria but Connor might have the best chance of getting it, if he can jump like he did in the FS at the British Championship in front of an international panel.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Fingers crossed that Alexa can get her FS minimum!

For the men's reserve spot, Freddie Leggott, Jedidiah Lincoln and Connor Bray all have the SP minimum and have come within 1 point for the FS. Freddie leads the qualification criteria but Connor might have the best chance of getting it, if he can jump like he did in the FS at the British Championship in front of an international panel.
Wonder where they will be competing for the TES mins - none of them are entered at EduSport or Bavarian Open...

Sylvia

TBD
Wonder where they will be competing for the TES mins - none of them are entered at EduSport or Bavarian Open...
Volvo Open Cup in Riga? (Entries are not yet published when I checked earlier today.)

ETA:

Skate Helena (Jan. 18-22) - Connor Bray (Jr. Men) and Kristen Spours are listed in the preliminary entries - will create a competition thread in Kiss & Cry.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Volvo Open Cup in Riga? (Entries are not yet published when I checked earlier today.)

ETA:

Skate Helena (Jan. 18-22) - Connor Bray (Jr. Men) and Kristen Spours are listed in the preliminary entries - will create a competition thread in Kiss & Cry.
Bray also entered at Volvo Open Cup (same week of Skate Helena). Kind of "let's enter both in case one in cancelled" strategy.
Appleby is also entered in Riga there but not Leggott or Lincoln.

Last edited:

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Connor also on the entry list for Nordics/Reykjavik International Games. Guess he's been picked as the hopeful reserve.

Ed too - probably good for him to have a couple of junior outings before junior worlds. But still no opportunity for Alexa to get her LP minimum.

Two competitions apiece for Nina Povey and Kristin Spours by early Feb. So the senior ladies spot at Worlds remains in competition.

LoisAGOEs

Connor also on the entry list for Nordics/Reykjavik International Games. Guess he's been picked as the hopeful reserve.

Ed too - probably good for him to have a couple of junior outings before junior worlds. But still no opportunity for Alexa to get her LP minimum.

Two competitions apiece for Nina Povey and Kristin Spours by early Feb. So the senior ladies spot at Worlds remains in competition.
Alexa is on the entry list for Skate Helena

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Alexa is on the entry list for Skate Helena
Great :) She wasn't on the initial list (though that site is not he most straightforward) so glad to see she's been added.

Semi-relatedly, is there any news on Lowenna Prigg? She seemed fairly promising last season and had a fun style, but then had a nightmare competition at her JGP and hasn't competed since.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Kristen got 115 in the free, which is a PB by 10+ points for her. Popped the lutz, but great height on most of her jumps. Nina had a couple of falls, but still a decent score over 100 points.

Barring a miracle skate by Natasha at Euros to get the minimums, Kristen must have the Worlds spot sewn up?

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Kristen got 115 in the free, which is a PB by 10+ points for her. Popped the lutz, but great height on most of her jumps. Nina had a couple of falls, but still a decent score over 100 points.

Barring a miracle skate by Natasha at Euros to get the minimums, Kristen must have the Worlds spot sewn up?
I would say so. I feel sorry for Tash not making it even with clean performances and consistent level 4s, but she just doesn’t do the difficult jumps in the SP. Maybe she should have risked a lutz somewhere, maybe she still will but I can’t see it, I think she’d want to finish with clean performances. Anyway whatever happens she went to the Olympics, a Grand Prix event, and she didn’t lose her national title. I’m sure she’ll be pretty satisfied with her career. :cheer2:

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Yes, I think Kristin should have the spot too. By my tally she's now solidly ahead on the selection criteria, and she's beaten Nina in both of their recent head to heads. They've each got another competition before the deadline but it seems unlikely Nina can best her new PB by another 10+ points, even with cleaner skates and an equally generous judges.

1. Kristen Spours 506.99 = 176.69 (EduSport Trophy 2023) + 162.34 (Triglav Trophy 2022) + 167.96 (British Championship 2022)
2. Natasha McKay 499.34 = 167.75 (Tayside Trophy 2021) + 162.54 (Finlandia Trophy 2021) + 169.05 (British Championship 2022)
3. Nina Povey 488.97 = 166.06 (EduSport Trophy 2023) + 160.44 (Skate Celje 2022) + 162.47 (British Champioship 2022)

Anyway whatever happens she went to the Olympics, a Grand Prix event, and she didn’t lose her national title. I’m sure she’ll be pretty satisfied with her career. :cheer2:
It's been said plenty of times before but worth saying again: it's amazing how much Tash has achieved in recent years as a skater who didn't have get any triples until she was already in seniors. There's more than one path to success.

Andrea82

Published by BIS today: https://www.iceskating.org.uk/post/junior-worlds-figure

BIS Selections for 2023 Junior Worlds Figure Skating Championships – Calgary, Canada 27 February -5 March 2023

The Great Britain team to compete at the 2023 ISU Junior Worlds Figure Skating Championships comprises of the following skaters:

Women
Alexa Severn (score pending) - she needs the Junior FS minimum of 38 (currently 37.38)
Reserve – Arabella Sear-Watkins

Severn achieved the FS minimum at Skate Helena.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Severn achieved the FS minimum at Skate Helena.
:cheer: I hope junior worlds is a great experience for her.

In other B event news this weekend, Ed Appleby had another strong short programme and his best free skate this season to win the junior competition at Volvo Open.

Less positively, Conor Bray was well short of the junior worlds minimum - looks like the competition was much more like his other internationals this season than the great jumping he showed at the British. He's no longer on the entry list for Nordics/Reykjavik International Games. But hopefully a hypothetical since Ed is clearly the strongest junior-eligible man.

Nina Povey improved her free skate score again in Riga and narrows the gap on Kristin Spours by a few points. Kristin withdrew from Skate Helena - I guess she got the job done last weekend.

1. Kristen Spours 506.99 = 176.69 (EduSport Trophy 2023) + 162.34 (Triglav Trophy 2022) + 167.96 (British Championship 2022)
2. Natasha McKay 499.34 = 167.75 (Tayside Trophy 2021) + 162.54 (Finlandia Trophy 2021) + 169.05 (British Championship 2022)
3. Nina Povey 494.49 = 166.06 (EduSport Trophy 2023) + 165.96 (Volvo Open 2023) + 162.47 (British Champioship 2022)

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Wheee! :cheer2: Congrats to Lilah and Lewis on their euros 🥈! Earlier in the week BIS and Team GB were touting them as the most successful British dance team since Torvill and Dean earlier in the week - and now it's true. :D

Also, three spots for next year! Bekker/Hernandez should be safe for one of them, assuming no unforeseen circumstances, so picking up the speculation of who Sasha Fear could team up with to take the third here rather than in the PBP thread.

We’ve had a few split teams too - any chance anyone is forming a new team from them? I am so out of the loop I have no info at all.
My first choice would be that she persuade Corey Circelli to come back to ice dance and switch to GB. Seems like wishful thinking...

Bruce Waddell also has a British passport and no ice dance partner, but if that was going to happen it would have last spring. Plus if I'm the ice dance match maker he'd be skating with Olivia Smart.

Alex Lapsky has shot up so he's now tall enough. That would be a huge skills mismatch, but he's shown he's a quick learner in getting base value, and some Montreal polish in place of Philip Poole cheese could go a long way.

Billy Wilson French is too short for Sasha. And he hasn't competed for so long that I've now given up expecting anything for him.

Adam Bouaziz has more potential than his recent results suggest - he was skating with Bella Flores before the pandemic got in the way. But I don't know if he's tall enough for Sasha. Or even if he's still skating after splitting from Liza Lowe.

Non-Sasha options -

Sophia Bushell could skate with any of these guys, and I suspect is looking internationally too. Another year in juniors would be a better bet though.

Layla Karnes too. She had some pretty good results at lower levels in the US (dual citizen) with partners including Jeffrey Chen and Kirill Aksenov, and is now training in fake London and has indicated she wants to switch to GB. Surely some US or Canadian dance guy wants to get international opportunities, train with Moir and make lots of trips to Sheffield?

A couple of former senior competitors (Jessica Marjot, Brienne Reher) were on IPS at least as of a few months ago. Tech minimums could be difficult - but Luke Russell managed them, so never say never.

Plus lots of solo dance girls, of course. Though again, minimums could be difficult.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
In that case… I wonder if Layla has tried out with Alex or Billy? It would be better to have a guy with UK citizenship as her goal is Olympics.

I like Corey, I thought maybe he should try pairs now, I never thought of him coming to UK though! Is there anyone else we can pinch? :lol: Talking of wishful thinking, I was hoping Olivia could bring Mark H out of his very long retirement ;)

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
In that case… I wonder if Layla has tried out with Alex or Billy? It would be better to have a guy with UK citizenship as her goal is Olympics.
That would be ideal! Though mostly I just hope everyone is able to find a partner they're happy with and we get more teams competing. We have some great teams at the moment, but behind them the fields are so small and thin.
I like Corey, I thought maybe he should try pairs now, I never thought of him coming to UK though! Is there anyone else we can pinch? :lol: Talking of wishful thinking, I was hoping Olivia could bring Mark H out of his very long retirement ;)
If no new teams step up, perhaps John and Sinead can be persuaded to come back. :lol:

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Ice Dundee have posted and it sounds like Natasha is carrying on for another season! :eek:
She has ruled herself out of consideration for Worlds (she is competing again before the TES deadline).

I’m really surprised but it’s nice we’ll get to see her skate again next season!

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
From her comments in the mixed zone at Euros I thought she was done - but glad she's continuing! More domestic competition is always a good thing, and she does seem like she still really enjoys skating.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
:cheer: Lydia Smart / Harry Mattick scored 29.01 TES in the short programme at the Bavarian Open this evening, meeting the Worlds minimum with 0.01 to spare. They already have the free skating minimum, so looks like they can book their tickets to Saitama!

They have improved so much since the start of last season and I'm thrilled that they should get this opportunity.

Aurelija Ippolito posted a clip of their reaction to the score on her IG:

morqet

rising like a phoenix
I didn't realise that Zoe & Chris (and Ruth?) were coaching Lydia & Harry. Their pair elements are pretty solid. Level 3 on the twist (I know it's just a double), level 3 on the death spiral, level 4 on the lifts and spins.

Might not be the worst idea for Ana & Luke to spend some time in Swindon!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information