Canadian figure skating

puglover

I went to several eastern Canadian nationals with Dash Tours. Perfect for me! I believe they are gone and not sure if there are viable replacements??

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Why can’t Uber or Lyft or any other ride share be an option though? These events are all held in bigger cities where I’m sure the supply is plentiful, not in the middle of nowhere. If the price of parking is so expensive at the venue or on the streets/garages near the venue, surely an Uber (especially if you find other fans in your hotel or near you) can potentially be cheaper.

Judy

Judy

As a certified bike-riding left-wing pinko (to quote former hockey pundit Don Cherry), I hate this attitude. I don't have a car because I live in a downtown condo near a subway stop (and we don't have parking). When my other half and I borrowed my father's car to drive to SOI in Ottawa, we found the parking and traffic situation terrible. We almost missed the opening because the westward traffic to the ridiculously inaccessible arena was so terrible.
Which arena? Lansdowne? Traffic is always kinda congested in Ottawa but I guess I’m more used to it too living here. Especially Lansdowne and the Glebe but not limited to that arena.

Former Lurve Goddess

Why can’t Uber or Lyft or any other ride share be an option though? These events are all held in bigger cities where I’m sure the supply is plentiful, not in the middle of nowhere. If the price of parking is so expensive at the venue or on the streets/garages near the venue, surely an Uber (especially if you find other fans in your hotel or near you) can potentially be cheaper.
In the bigger cities, these are definitely good options. If Skate Canada ever holds an event in Mississauga again, I will definitely Uber. But Uber and Lyft aren't everywhere. It's too bad Skate Canada has never held an event at Toronto's Coca Cola Coliseum - it's not too big and is accessible by transit. But maybe it's impossible to book.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
In the bigger cities, these are definitely good options. If Skate Canada ever holds an event in Mississauga again, I will definitely Uber. But Uber and Lyft aren't everywhere. It's too bad Skate Canada has never held an event at Toronto's Coca Cola Coliseum - it's not too big and is accessible by transit. But maybe it's impossible to book.

Also, some people (like me) don't use Uber or Lyft because they exploit their gig workers, and their apps scrape personal data off the phone you use to make the booking.

Former Lurve Goddess

Also, some people (like me) don't use Uber or Lyft because they exploit their gig workers, and their apps scrape personal data off the phone you use to make the booking.
Yeah, I'm technically opposed to Uber but occasionally have found it to be the only option. I use proper taxis whenever I can. ETA: and just after I posted this, Uber sent me a promo offer😲

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
The Canadian Tire Centre is also a full NHL-size arena, and is too large for Skate Canada at this time. The Lansdowne arena has serious structural issues, including a leaking roof. Unfortunately there isn't another option for Ottawa at this time.
I mean with the size of the crowds at this Nationals they could use some of the arenas in the suburbs that have 2-3 ice surfaces :D

skatingguy

decently
I mean with the size of the crowds at this Nationals they could use some of the arenas in the suburbs that have 2-3 ice surfaces :D
Well, in that case Smiths Falls has two arenas - one full size, one smaller on the same property. The main arena has nice seating, and a walking track around the top of the rink so people can't stretch their legs during ice resurfacings. We don't have public transit, but it's a very walkable town.

Former Lurve Goddess

Well, in that case Smiths Falls has two arenas - one full size, one smaller on the same property. The main arena has nice seating, and a walking track around the top of the rink so people can't stretch their legs during ice resurfacings. We don't have public transit, but it's a very walkable town.
And Smith Falls is on the Via Rail line.

Judy

The Canadian Tire Centre where the Senators play. Lansdowne is fine.
Oh yah way out In the boonies (for me since I’m in the east end) You basically have to leave early to escape the traffic jam.

The new owner of the Sens is kinda making plans to build a new arena near downtown on Lebreton Flats although .. there’s no major roads leading to that location either. It’ll probably take a long time regardless.

Parsley Sage

I went to several eastern Canadian nationals with Dash Tours. Perfect for me! I believe they are gone and not sure if there are viable replacements??
I was thinking of that last night. I did a quick search and couldn't find much about a similar tour operator for skating events.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Oh yah way out In the boonies (for me since I’m in the east end) You basically have to leave early to escape the traffic jam.

The new owner of the Sens is kinda making plans to build a new arena near downtown on Lebreton Flats although .. there’s no major roads leading to that location either. It’ll probably take a long time regardless.
But a short uber from Centretown and all the hotels in that area. And an OC transpo hub although the O-Train in winter is a whole other can of worms :lol:

Parsley Sage

Coca Cola Coliseum is currently being turned into an indoor lake for the Toronto International Boat Show which is held every year at this time. Skate Canada is around the time of the Royal Winter Fair when it is used for the horse shows.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
It really is a pain in the ass to get to. I don't know what # of years they are now on with the discussion to move it to LeBreton Flats but have real doubts it will happen in my lifetime :lol:
I lived in Ottawa from 1984-1988 and they were talking then about developing LeBreton Flats... (too many stakeholders spoil the stew)

The arena in Kanata is not bad to get to, but it is a pain to get out of. (ETA via car)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Coca Cola Coliseum is currently being turned into an indoor lake for the Toronto International Boat Show which is held every year at this time. Skate Canada is around the time of the Royal Winter Fair when it is used for the horse shows.

Skaters dodging speedboats or prancing horses might just be the thing to increase viewer numbers for Nationals. Get on it, CBC!

pat c

They 100% do. A few years back, I was travelling from Calgary and my flight got diverted due to weather. I ended up having to take a cab from Kelowna to Penticton in the middle of a snowstorm. They aren't used to (or in any way equipped for) snow there and I still look back at that cab ride thinking OMG... I'm lucky to be alive. It was scary stuff.
Been there done that. I've had too many white knuckle drives in Jan. so it has to be damned convenient and I really, really want to see the comp live.

Canada is a really big country (que Arrogant Worms). So many great places to see, but in January to get to where cdn nats might be is a problem. Hockey schedules conflict, and even in smaller venues you have to deal with those teams. The bigger the venue, the harder it is. The smaller the venue, the more stops there is. Skate Canada used to have TSET, that used to do all the planning etc for cdn events. I think it disbanded a long time ago.

eusebius

Does anyone know why competitions are never held in Hamilton anymore? We had 1997 GPF (Champions Series Final as it was known then), 2002 Nationals and 2004 4CCs, all of which I attended. But there’s been nothing since. (And there are 2 new hotels in walking distance from the arena now.)

honey

Does anyone know why competitions are never held in Hamilton anymore? We had 1997 GPF (Champions Series Final as it was known then), 2002 Nationals and 2004 4CCs, all of which I attended. But there’s been nothing since. (And there are 2 new hotels in walking distance from the arena now.)
My first guess is because it’s a 20,000 seat venue? After 2004 it’s been on few and far between occasions that a venue that large was chosen for an event run by SC that was not worlds.

Even in the early 2000s Copps was already getting too large for skating and its level of popularity. I remember the comments about the upper deck being curtained off for 2002 nationals.

Yyzskater

I think the reality is streaming is here and not going away. More people watch online than on tv. So let’s take it to the next stage and improve the quality of the streaming and make it more professional.

The YouTube ISU events have had better quality, and good viewership. Growing the sport means attracting younger viewers and I think skate Canada is doing a good job with their social media. The number of people attending events live is dwindling and is primarily the older demographic who have greatly reduced attending due to costs and health (since Covid). So I think this is a transition time.

Canskate attendance is at its highest all over Canada this winter, we need to attract those parents to attend live? That should be the target market, not my generation.

My five cents!
Considering Skate Canada knew well ahead of time that ticket sales were abysmal, they should have offered free tickets to all the local skating clubs to entice aspiring figure skaters to come watch Nationals live. Not only would it have filled the arena, but it would have given much needed support for the skaters. I can't imagine it feels good to come out and skate at Nationals to an empty rink. The Juniors were particularly hard to watch with literally bare stands.

It also doesn't help that Skate Canada insists of charging a ridiculous amount for entry to Nationals. To charge $75 for only 2 events (Men's long & Pairs free OR Women's long and Dance Free) is definitely a deterrent for the average person, nevermind forking over more for Short programs or Juniors. So what you are left with is family and friends, plus some die hard fans. I think when you add up the cost of all the
days, it almost ends up being more expensive than an all event pass at Euros which I think started at $250 Euros (per the Facebook post). Even Worlds all event pass started at $574.

Skate Canada did no one any favours by pricing it so high. It was a missed opportunity to get younger skaters and parents excited about figure skating and find new skaters to look up to while providing a much needed audience for the skaters as well.

Parsley Sage

My first guess is because it’s a 20,000 seat venue? After 2004 it’s been on few and far between occasions that a venue that large was chosen for an event run by SC that was not worlds.

Even in the early 2000s Copps was already getting too large for skating and its level of popularity. I remember the comments about the upper deck being curtained off for 2002 nationals.
The First Ontario Centre, as it is now called, is supposed to be renovated starting soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information