Keeping Track of Criminal Cases & SafeSport Suspensions in Skating

Sylvia

TBD
This is the first mention I've seen in an article re. John Dunn, Monica MacDonald's husband and coaching partner at the Macquarie rink:
Wide World of Sports understands that Kerry coaches at Macquarie Ice Rink in Sydney.
The NSW Ice Skating Association (NSWISA) provided a statement to Wide World of Sports.
"We are very concerned about the issue and have reached out to SafeSport USA to receive a copy of the ruling which is reported on their website and is under appeal," NSWISA said.
"We only became aware of the matter today [Wednesday].
"We will investigate the matter and take appropriate action to protect all our athletes. The current athletes he is training are greatly affected and their ongoing wellbeing is a priority.
"We are in contact with the Australian Professional Skaters Association and are seeking an update on their position."
Kerry's mother, Monica MacDonald, who competed in figure skating at the Calgary 1988 Olympics, was the president of the Australian Professional Skaters Association (APSA), but stood down when her son was banned.
Kerry's step father, John Dunn, was an Ice Skating Australia (ISA) board member [link: https://isa.org.au/general-info/governance/#overview], but has been suspended.
ETA that this is posted on the New South Wales Ice Skating Association's website: https://www.nswisa.com/ice/

Dear Members,

You may have become aware that the US Centre for SafeSport has issued a sanction against Australian figure skater, Brendan Kerry, for sexual misconduct involving a minor. NSWISA had no prior knowledge of the investigation and only became aware of this sanction upon its release today.

NSWISA is very concerned about the matter and have reached out to the US Centre for SafeSport for a detailed copy of the decision, which is on their website, and under appeal. NSWISA is deeply committed to the safety and wellbeing of all athletes and considers this matter to be of the utmost seriousness.

We understand Brendan will not be coaching during this period. Brendan's tenure on the NSWISA Board concluded at the NSWISA AGM yesterday. We will investigate the matter and take appropriate action to protect all our athletes. The athletes that Brendan currently trains will be impacted by these developments, and their ongoing wellbeing is a priority. We are in contact with the Australian Professional Skaters Association and other relevant authorities to take all necessary steps to secure the ongoing safety of all our athletes.

Sincerely,

NSWISA Board

Last edited:

Trillian

And that's before we get into the issue of plying her with alcohol ...

I didn’t think it was clear from the ESPN article whether he admitted to that in the SafeSport investigation. The hardest things for him to explain with his “I didn’t do it” stance will be the things he already told them he did. He can and probably will lie about all the rest of it.

Willin

It sounds like he did a lot of emotional abuse and alienation to separate her from people that would object to their relationship. He really has no excuse, and that shows that he knows what he was doing is wrong.

I think that's why he's changing his excuses - he's grasping at straws. And while the whole "I didn't know the age of consent" excuse is dumb and not an actual excuse, it's certainly more reasonable given that "I didn't do it" is obviously not viable in the least with the evidence they collected. But he likely has to resort to "I didn't do it" if he has any hopes of a career in skating. Given even his parents seem to not be in a position to help him (his mom stepping down and step dad suspended) he's in a bad spot. Who knows if he has any career prospects other than skating - and even those will be limited by a simple google search of his name.

It's refreshing to see someone like Brendan actually get their comeuppence when SafeSport so often seems inadequate.

LoisAGOEs

Not know what? He was under investigation in the US for events that happened in the US and the outcome was only just announced.
Brendan says he spoke to SafeSport as part of the investigation 3 years ago. No one on the Australian side knowing anything about the investigation is a little hard to believe when Brendan’s family is so powerful in the sport there. Either he kept it all to himself or potentially his family chose not to disclose it.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Brendan says he spoke to SafeSport as part of the investigation 3 years ago. No one on the Australian side knowing anything about the investigation is a little hard to believe when Brendan’s family is so powerful in the sport there. Either he kept it all to himself or potentially his family chose not to disclose it.
Many of us figured it out from Gracie’s book, looking at list of competitors at SA that year. In the tiny gossipy world of skating I find it hard to believe no one in Oz knew about this.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Are you saying that Brendan said three years ago that he talked to SafeSport, or that he now says that three years ago he talked to SafeSport?

I don't know who's telling the truth in this situation, but children don't tell their parents everything, even when the children are adults. I'm not defending the Australian federation or Brendan's parents, but it's not completely implausible that neither of them knew.

can'tsk8

Not know what? He was under investigation in the US for events that happened in the US and the outcome was only just announced.
I would imagine his family knew he was under investigation, if so John Dunn did not disclose this to ISA as a board member, or Brendan didn’t tell his family, which is difficult to believe, considering how serious the allegations were, but could also be the case. This is why I question how did ISA not know he was under investigation.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I would imagine his family knew he was under investigation, if so John Dunn did not disclose this to ISA as a board member, or Brendan didn’t tell his family, which is difficult to believe, considering how serious the allegations were, but could also be the case. This is why I question how did ISA not know he was under investigation.

IMO it's very plausible that Brendan might not have told his parents. Especially if he believed that he didn't do anything wrong, or if he believed that his being investigated in the US would affect his parents' employment.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
IMO it's very plausible that Brendan might not have told his parents. Especially if he believed that he didn't do anything wrong, or if he believed that his being investigated in the US would affect his parents' employment.
Or hoped that if he kept his mouth shut and ignored it then it would all just go away. And this would have been reinforced the more time passed.

LoisAGOEs

Are you saying that Brendan said three years ago that he talked to SafeSport, or that he now says that three years ago he talked to SafeSport?
His quote in The Advocate article was this:

"After hearing nothing from the US Center for SafeSport for almost three years ... I received their decision with no advance warning whatsoever, sanctioning me for alleged violations that I did not commit," Kerry said in a statement.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
So if he only stated now that he was interviewed three years ago, it's possible that he didn't say anything to anyone at the time he was actually interviewed. Especially if he believed, and apparently still believes, that the accusations were false.

can'tsk8

I mean’t that if Brendan’s family were aware, then John would have known and potentially should have informed ISA, which is why I asked how did ISA not know. However, I also appreciate that the family may not have known and therefore, John would not be able to inform ISA of the allegations.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I mean’t that if Brendan’s family were aware, then John would have known and potentially should have informed ISA, which is why I asked how did ISA not know. However, I also appreciate that the family may not have known and therefore, John would not be able to inform ISA of the allegations.
I think unless you have evidence otherwise, it is best to give people the benefit of the doubt.

can'tsk8

Thank you morqet exactly there is an obligation as a board member, there is reasonable question around the families knowledge and reporting considering their positions in Ice skating within Australia

can'tsk8

I think you are being exactly what damages Australian skating, too many people sitting in high profile positions for far too many years who play politics but will sit on a fence for years in forums but choose not to take a true strand on something that should be dealt with once and for all, does anyone in Australia want to talk about Doug Mather from WAISA who went to jail! Never gets discussed

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Given that Brendan's parents are involved in skating officially, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't tell them about this. This is not a case of a young person not wanting their parents to know they are in trouble. They are all in business together, so to speak, and this situation impacts all of them plus the parents are in a position to give him good advice.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Given that Harley's parents are involved in skating officially, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't tell them about this. This is not a case of a young person not wanting their parents to know they are in trouble. They are all in business together, so to speak, and this situation impacts all of them plus the parents are in a position to give him good advice.
Harley???? You mean Brendan, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information