Make Ice Dance A Real Sport Again: Sign The Petition

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I would think it would be more accurate to say make ice dance ‘real dancing’ again rather than a ‘real sport’. It’s athletic, it has clear required elements and technical difficulty.
I agree it sadly is lacking in dance, and I do miss the compulsory dance.

(I loved the 80’s theme though so I’m not complaining about that) ;)

AquaLady

I would think it would be more accurate to say make ice dance ‘real dancing’ again rather than a ‘real sport’. It’s athletic, it has clear required elements and technical difficulty.
I agree it sadly is lacking in dance, and I do miss the compulsory dance.

(I loved the 80’s theme though so I’m not complaining about that) ;)
I do see your point but “fake sport” allegations are thrown at ice dance on a regular basis due to the overall vagueness of the rules and inconsistent judging. Bringing back the pattern dance would certainly grant more objectivity to the sport.

Also, I have nothing against dance styles outside of ballroom. It’s just that we have not seen proper ballroom in so long. There needs to be more variety in theme.

Former Lurve Goddess

We need to be careful what we wish for. I also loved the 80s RD although I think it should have had much tighter rules. The calls to make ice dance more of sport post 1992 brought us the terribly restrictive "back to ballroom" rules of the mid 1990s. Seems to me the solution is to go back to the earlier IJS rules where levels counted more than vibes and to at least bring back a required pattern in the RD in alternate years (so for instance a "folk" RD wouldn't be restricted by a pattern that didn't fit certain cultures' rhythms) and to also require a waltz rhythm in the RD at least once every four years.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I do see your point but “fake sport” allegations are thrown at ice dance on a regular basis due to the overall vagueness of the rules and inconsistent judging. Bringing back the pattern dance would certainly grant more objectivity to the sport.
Nah, that didn't really help the sport at all in the late 90s or whenever a team won that wasn't the general favorite. It was always supposedly on the cusp of being thrown out of the Olympics for not being 'real' long before this, and the CDs/patterns were present at those points.

peibeck

Simply looking
Nah, that didn't really help the sport at all in the late 90s or whenever a team won that wasn't the general favorite. It was always supposedly on the cusp of being thrown out of the Olympics for not being 'real' long before this, and the CDs/patterns were present at those points.

Wasn't a large part of the sport not being "real" mired into "toe-tapping" and :judge: scandals as well though?

Former Lurve Goddess

If we’re gonna go this route, I would totally love to see all three portions of it brought back. The compulsory dance, original dance and free dance.
If I recall correctly, it was the IOC that pressured the ISU to change Ice Dance to only 2 competition segments so comps would be the same length as the other 3 figure skating disciplines at the Olympics. In other words, we're never getting the CDs back.

snoopysnake

S-L-O-W spins must go! Especially if they have no relationship to the speed of the music! It seemed to be much too common in the men's programs - I don't know specifically how to judge the speed; maybe negative GOE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information