Rinks closing permanently or at risk of closure

Sylvia

TBD
2 permanent closures that I know about:

Desert Ice Castle in Cathedral City, CA near Palm Springs (Coachella Valley's only ice skating rink):

Ice-Plex in Escondido, CA (San Diego County):

In danger of closing:

Chavez Community Center ice rink in Santa Fe, NM (home of Santa Fe FSC & Desert Ice FSC):
“Nobody wants to eliminate services and remove the ice rink, but we do have a financial crisis like we’ve not seen before due to the [coronavirus] pandemic,” John Muñoz, the city’s parks and recreation director, said Monday.
Muñoz emphasized no decisions have been made and that repurposing the ice skating rink, which he said is the section of the Chavez Center that loses the most money, is one of several ideas under consideration. Other options on the table include raising rates and creating a fund to which people could donate money “to keep that wonderful program going,” he said.
Muñoz said the ice rink loses on average $336,000 annually, based on five years of data.

Any others?

Last edited:

Rock2

There will be tons. I'm sure here in Canada and in northern half of USA, rinks are holding their breath, praying there will be a plan to get kids onto the ice playing hockey in the fall. US will definitely not be on track for that, and then if you lose the whole season due to the expected wave 2 you will see widespread consolidation of ice time. How permanent this is remains to be seen, because sporting fees will rise exponentially to pay for a re-opening, because funding from municipal sources will be slashed.

All that to say, a huge loss of winter-month revenue will kick off a sporting death spiral. 100% pun intended.

antmanb

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Agreed. In terms of population there are far too few rinks in the UK. Bracknell was the nearest rink to us when we lived in Reading and both my former coaches are still there as far as I know. Chris Howarth was also involved in rink management when Bracknell first opened.

Sylvia

TBD
The Detroit Skating Club ("one of only a handful of clubs in the United States that owns and operates its own facility") has started fundraising via GFM: https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campaign/help-preserve-the-detroit-skating-club-legacy
...However, even through vigilant management no one could foresee a global pandemic coming. This unprecedented Covid-19 pandemic has been devastating to our club. Unfortunately, our current financial situation is dire. We are seeking donations to help us survive this economic challenge and maintain stability so that we can continue our figure skating legacy.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I wonder if DSC's finances/resources have also been affected by the Richard Callaghan affair. I.e. maybe people don't want their kids (or themselves) to skate at a rink where that inappropriate behaviour went on for so long with no repercussions.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ I doubt it. Callaghan left Detroit in 1999. In its heyday there were quite a few international/national level singles skaters, pairs & ice dance teams training at DSC... not in recent years, however.

ETA: Also, Skate Detroit being cancelled this year likely was a big loss of annual revenue.

concorde

Philadelphia Humane Society is another that owns its own rink (I was told that Skating Club of Boston is another). Back in September, members could pay an "all you skate" fee that covered ice from September through June. Members that paid that fee were not given any money back when the rink closed in March.

As of about 3 weeks ago, PHSSC was still planning on holding Challenge Cup in September. We shall see whether that event actually happens.

If an "all you can skate" option is offered again this year, not sure if I will be willing to pay for it.

Sylvia

TBD
The Skating Club of Boston is scheduled to move to a brand new 3-rink facility in Norwood, Mass. later this summer (or early fall?). Their 70-year-old rink on Soldiers Field Road in Brighton will be torn down and could be developed into apartments, condos, commercial space, and a new hotel: https://www.universalhub.com/2020/they-could-call-it-apartments-ice-developer

I'm glad I got to skate a public session at the historic rink once at least.

Last edited:

concorde

PHS&SC is working on obtaining historical status for the rink. Not sure if that will be Federal, State, or local.

Having grown up with friends whose parents owned homes with National Historical Status, I view that as both a blessing and a curse.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
PHS&SC is working on obtaining historical status for the rink. Not sure if that will be Federal, State, or local.

Having grown up with friends whose parents owned homes with National Historical Status, I view that as both a blessing and a curse.

The acronym is PSC&HS, though most of us club members typically use PSCHS. Thank you.

ioana

The Skating Club of Boston is scheduled to move to a brand new 3-rink facility in Norwood, Mass. later this summer (or early fall?). Their 70-year-old rink on Soldiers Field Road in Brighton will be torn down and could be developed into apartments, condos, commercial space, and a new hotel: https://www.universalhub.com/2020/they-could-call-it-apartments-ice-developer

I'm glad I got to skate a public session at the historic rink once at least.

They have a full summer schedule available at the Soldiers Field location until Labor Day weekend and nothing posted about Norwood ice just yet. My guess is they won't open both over the summer and switch to new location will happen for fall ice.

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Quoting myself as I saw on Facebook this morning that the rink is now permanently closed. Someone has started a Go Fund Me to try and buy it but I don't fancy their chances of raising the amount needed.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
All of our rinks will remain closed. Our city hall is trying to deal with a huge budget deficit and people are petitioning to reopen the rinks. I don’t see it happening for a long time as we need staff to ensure people are following safety & cleaning routines

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Quoting myself as I saw on Facebook this morning that the rink is now permanently closed. Someone has started a Go Fund Me to try and buy it but I don't fancy their chances of raising the amount needed.
It’s sad :(
Bracknell was the first ice rink I ever skated at although I roller skated more when I was young.
I do feel though that there are so many other rinks in the close area - Basingstoke, Guildford, Slough... that they must be in competition with each other to a certain extent, especially for public skating sessions. I haven’t been there for years but I do remember public sessions being absolutely dead at Bracknell compared to some of the other rinks.
Very sorry for the rink staff, and I hope all the skaters and coaches can transfer to another rink. I read the hockey team are transferring.

Sylvia

TBD
2 permanent closures that I know about:

Desert Ice Castle in Cathedral City, CA near Palm Springs (Coachella Valley's only ice skating rink - eta: where Frank Carroll often coaches)

Ice-Plex in Escondido, CA (San Diego County)
There may still be hope for Ice-Plex:
Amber Tarrac, Escondido’s deputy director of economic development, said it’s clearly too late to turn back the clock on the roller rink, which closed more than a decade ago. But she hopes to have news soon on the possible reopening of Ice-Plex. One local ice rink manager said many companies are competing to buy the arena, which includes two ice rinks, a fitness club and a large indoor swimming pool.
“I can tell you I’m hoping there will be some exciting news on this in the next couple of weeks,” Tarrac said. “When it closed, we got a a community outpouring of support and we want someone to take it over and retool this community asset and keep it going.”
The closure of Ice-Plex leaves just six other ice rinks in the county, including The Rinks in Poway, Icetown Carlsbad, San Diego Ice Arena in Mira Mesa, the ICE rink at Westfield UTC, the Kroc Center Ice rink in Rolando and the Rady Children’s Ice Rink at Liberty Station.

Sylvia

TBD
Another rink in California :(:
The Promenade Ice Chalet skating rink, a popular destination for families and skaters for decades, abruptly closed its doors on Wednesday, Sept. 16, according to its website, by order of the Los Angeles County Health Department.
“It is with a heavy heart that we announce the official and permanent closure of Promenade Ice Chalet. We closed our doors today at 11:30 a.m.,” read the statement on the website.
The ice rink, housed in the Promenade on the Peninsula shopping center in Rolling Hills Estates, was already slated to close its doors on Sept. 27, according to email communications from Scott Williams, founder of Ice-America, its management company.
The indoor rink, which opened in 1981, was, however, also another victim of the economic woes brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.
At one time, ice skating greats such as Michelle Kwan, a Torrance native and Olympic medalist, and ice skating legend Dorothy Hamill have graced the rink with their talents. But the real importance is the facility’s nearly four-decade impact on families.
Palos Verdes resident Gina Mirigliani, who called the Ice Chalet “the cornerstone of the community,” started a petition on change.org to drum up support. As of Wednesday afternoon, nearly 3,200 signed the petition with a goal of reaching 5,000.

Sylvia

TBD
KOIN / CBS TV affiliate in Portland, Oregon:
The Sherwood Ice Arena is the latest business to announce a permanent closure in the Portland metro area.
In a statement, parent company Oregon Ice Entertainment said Oregon officials “mandated that we close,” and as a result were required to lay off its staff of 17 seven days before Christmas.
“We will therefore not be able to meet our financial obligations, and fully expect this to be the end of any skating activity in the future of Sherwood,” according to the press release for the business.
The Carousel Sherwood Figure Skating Club has posted on their FB page re. this :( news: "We don’t have any more information at this time. I’ll keep you updated as we learn more." and "We have hope that the rink will survive and continue on."

mackiecat

Detroit SC also kept the ice in one rink on the hopes that the shut down would be short.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
KOIN / CBS TV affiliate in Portland, Oregon:

The Carousel Sherwood Figure Skating Club has posted on their FB page re. this :( news: "We don’t have any more information at this time. I’ll keep you updated as we learn more." and "We have hope that the rink will survive and continue on."
Our governor has been really tough on indoor sports venues like bowling alleys and skating rinks in the Tri-Met region. They weren't classified in the same category as gyms and had been shut down until October as a result of Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas counties being lumped together by the governor in June and never moving beyond Phase 1. I don't think the bowling alleys and rinks were open more than 4-5 weeks before the pre-Thanksgiving lockdown happened. I was just talking to a friend last night about the annual convention for the youth group we both work with and we're questioning whether or not the state will be opened up enough to even have a pared down event in June, so things are looking pretty bleak and I can't blame the management company for closing the rink at this time. We will be lucky if any of these kind of venues can open again by next September, would be my guess.

Sylvia

TBD
(Cross-posting from the "USFS Qualifying Season Plans" thread in GSD) I came across this Portland, Oregon area article published earlier this month that details one coach's many challenges this season, including procuring ice in order to film the free skates for her students' virtual Nationals qualifying competition (this was published before the Sherwood Ice Arena announced their closure):

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Nazareth Ice Oasis in Redwood City, CA (Bay Area) closed permanently earlier this year, but the community is trying to explore a way to bring skating back. Local article: https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news...cle_482eeaf0-35ef-11eb-9172-fbbd64247c3d.html

Nazareth operates another rink nearby, but the Redwood City location was very old and needed costly structural updates.
This is the rink where I did most of my skating when I was skating. The ice surface was small and they kept the place freezing so the ice would be good for hockey. But it was a nice place to skate and many of the regulars were a type of family.

I never expected it to close because it seems to be well-run and to constantly be busy. I didn't think about the fact that the equipment was old and probably not up to today's code.

myhoneyhoney

I skated in Redwood City once. I bought my Jackson skates there years ago from Terry (not sure of name spelling). The shop moved to Nazareth's San Mateo rink. Terry actually just mounted my inline frames to my other boots just last month.

Sadly San Mateo is closed now too. Who knows when the rinks here in the Bay Area will open again. 😢

Willin

Sad to see so many rinks in the Bay Area closed. In recent memory: Berkeley, Belmont, Redwood City, and San Mateo. Dublin's at risk of closure as well, given that the family who operates the Iceland franchise is pretty done with it and not too interested in investing in rink upgrades (hence Belmont and Berkeley's closures). The rest are being eaten up by the Sharks and are subsequently jacking up freestyle prices, firing the experienced crews at the rinks in favor of Sharks hockey-oriented people, and cutting back figure skating programs. It's a truly sad time for the Bay Area figure skating community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information