Ted Barton Interview/Rus. Nat: “I marvel at the work of Tutberidze.."

Tinami Amori

Ted Barton Interview/Rus. Nationals: “I marvel at the work of Tutberidze …”.
(covers Russian ladies, Alysa Lui, quads and others)
Interview of Ekaterina Bespalova/Spor-Express. Dec. 28, 2019-12-29
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...he-voshischeniya-so-storony-ostalnyh-1626876/

------
(my comments before translations: Ted Barton, as a commentator for Russian Nationals, was a great alternative to the “yapping Tarasova with her agenda and biases”, not just for English-speaking foreign audience, but for many Russians who for several years now demanded such alternative: a calm, friendly, commentator who is quiet during skates and then only analysis the actual performance.

As one of such “Russian-speaking audience” who sent many complaints about Tarasova to the Federation and the Media sources that hired her, I am thrilled to have Ted, and no longer having to listen to Tarasova. Ted did a great job, very respectful towards Russian cultural specifics this time, without pushing too hard “one must smile” issues. He recognized and mentioned many times that it was an honor to be there, that it was a privilege and rightly confirmed that Russian Nationals is one of the best and strongest figure skating events there. The best part – he was perfectly neutral, commenting only the actual performances and elements of the skaters. Great job Ted!

Another commentator for consideration at such events is Chris Howarth, and he gave an interesting interview on a popular Russian-language FS video-forum and has fascinating insides on the world of Figure Skating since 1950’s.
Maybe the Russian FS events become popular enough so that both, Ted Barton and Chris Howarth can commentate jointly. The more, the merrier. But now we know what proper commentating is, and no longer stuck with “agenda driven and paid-by-interested parties” local Russian commentators. Thank you, Ted!)
-------

Interview Translation:
Famous Canadian commentator/journalist Ted Barton, who commented the Russian Nationals for the whole world, in an exclusive interview with Sport-Express shared his opinions why Eteri Tutberidze’s training methods are fully justified, why Quad jumps will not kill Ladies figure skating, and how Alina Zagitova won her Olympic Gold-2018 absolutely fair and square.

1. Trusova’s Smile.

Q: Alexandra Trusova is planning to include five quad jumps in her free skating, and you’re one of the first people to see her attempt to do a 4S in August 2017..
T: Yes, I remember that day. It was in Brisbane at a dark and cold ice rink, a typical condition for a Junior Grand Prix event. Right then I though “O good God, this is the next step in Figure Skating”. Although, back then Sasha did not always land it clean, often on two legs. Yet Trusova was the first one who tried it, which meant – others will follow her and try it. Sasha proved it was possible. But what impressed me the most, is that there is always a joy on her face, no matter how she performs. This feature charms and attracts one towards Trusova, on a personal level.

Q: At the same time, there is an opinion, that she is too concentrated on the jumps and her skating needs more expression….
T: I’ll say this: each skater has an aspect in his/her skating which needs improvement. Sasha devotes a lot of time to develop the quad jumps. At this same time, her programmes this season are filled the elements/movements and connections. Perhaps slightly less attention is given to skating skills, because she mostly concentrates on the technical elements. But to say that her skating skills are bad… Absolutely not! She skates great and confident, and will easily add to her jumps better blade work. And that’s when her competitors will really have to watch out!

Q: What do you think of an opinion that quads will kill the “real ladies skating”?
T: No-no! As you see, I am not a young person, and in my life-span watched many generations of skaters. The talk of something ruining the figure skating comes up from time to time…. The same stuff happened for example when the new judging system was introduced. And now there are quads, and the idea that quintuples are possible.. Just take a look at the technique of the quads and how well they are executed! The quads are not killing figure skating, they making it current. This is something incredible, and I think that people don’t quite realize the value of it. Quad jumps for ladies in combination with colorful presentation and other elements! I never imagined before that I will ever witness something like it.

2. Zagitova and Medvedeva.

Q: And do you remember Evgenia Medvedeva as a Junior?
T: Yes, it was in Courchevel in 2014, when we just started live broadcasts of Junior events and were quite nervous about it. Evgenia back then produced fantastic both programmes and made us follow her every move, and two years later won the World championship.

And I also remember when I first had an opportunity to see Alina Zagitova, also in France but in Saint Gervais in 2016, she was wearing her bright red ballet dress. Alina skated simply ideally, with lightness on every jump, and it did not matter which jump it was – 3F or 3S. And two years later – she was an Olympic champion.

Q: Have you thought even for a second that at the Olympics 2018 it will be Alina who wins?
T: No, not even before they stepped out to perform there, since until then Evgenia was in the leading position. Yet later I came to conclusion that it does not matter what period of time you’re in the lead before this, and how old you are. On a given day one shows all one can do and the judges simply judge.

3. Unprecedented wave of talent.

Q: At what point did you realize that there is a wave of talented Russian ladies?
T: Exactly when first Sasha, then Aleona, then Anna appeared. It was clear – something amazing is happening right in front of your eyes. Prior to that I also noted talented Russian ladies, but they were not of such level. There was only one question then: can they take their success further? And as we see last year, all three made it to the Junior Grand Prix Finals, and this year the keep on wining in Seniors. Of course, an athlete can’t always win, sometimes there is a down turn. But these ladies have an amazing technique and training, and one can only enjoy it.

Q: And what, in your opinion, is the situation with other talented ladies skaters in other countries?
T: Korea, Japan, USA of course are also very strong. But I would like to note one other girl.. I believe she used to skate for Russia, and now for Poland…

Q: Ekaterina Kurakova…
T: Oh, yes.. her. She is simple a wonderful skater. I also noted another girl from Estonia, too bad I can’t remember her name. Everyone, of course, is looking at the Russian ladies, from their stand upwards and thinking “ok, if you can do these elements, we will try as well”. Back in the days all GPF ladies were Americans, not it is the Russian time. And as example, Canada won Gold in the team-event in the Olympics 2018, and the Canadian K. Osmond won the Worlds 2018.

4. Strict Mother – Tutberidze

Q: Continuing on the subject of quads, what do you think of the 23-year old Elizaveta Tuktamysheva doing it?
T: Incredible. She – is very strong lady. What technique she has! Elizaveta is an example that it’s not really about age, but the technique. And how you set your mind. Tuktamysheva probably thought “if younger ones can do it, why can’t i?”. And that’s great. We are lucky to observe it. Why did Elizaveta not make the GPF? It is simple – the events start middle of October, some athletes don’t have enough time to get ready. Plus, don’t forget, this is the season when Trusova, Kostornaia, Shcherbakova joined the Seniors, thus lowered the chances of other skaters to make it to Finals.

Q: Tutberidze gives interviews very rarely, but a year ago, in Vancouver, during JGPF, you had a chance to interview her. What is your impression of her?
T: It was interesting. I admire her work, and yet some other people don’t share the sentiment. In public Eteri looks very serious, but I had a feeling inside she is a very private person. But when we had the interview, in front of me I saw a beautiful woman and a loving mother.

Yes, she is a strict coach. But you can’t gain success in anything without strictness (go and try yourself to be successful in anything without strictness). You simply won’t be able to. It’s this kind of approach, and many people manage it differently.

I saw the faces of Tutberidze’s skaters, when they look at her and she looks at them, they are smiling. I noticed what warm relationship they have. Right or wrong, that’s what I saw. And I also think that Eteri does not teach them just skating, but how to accomplish goals in general. And the process is always difficult and thorny.

5. Wonderful Valieva

Q: And what did you think of the top three ladies at the JGF, Valieva-Liu-Usacheva, two were left in the shades of the Senior Ladies event?
T: You know, I saw many skates, but in the last years there is a big wave of talented Russian ladies. It’s amazing, they are so talented and not just in jumps. Jumps aside (forget about jumps)! Basic skating skills, colorful presentations coming from such young girls – that’s simply amaizing.

Q: In Russia some skating fans think that exactly those aspects of skating are something Alysa Liu needs to work on…
T: She works a lot! Her performance in Turin, was her very first Junior Grand Prix Final. But the most important part is that Alysa herself knows what she needs to work on and plans to do it seriously.

Q: But don’t you agree that what happened in Turin was quite unique. Valieva won from a competitor who had three 3A’s and two quads in two programmes..
T: I can’t say that I was that surprised by it. I took it at face value. Especially in view of the fact that Alysa had problems with landing the 3A’s, plus not very high GOE’s for the quads. I really like this girl. But Kamila was fantastic: her presentation, her skating skills, the transitions! In her programmes there is not a second of just empty skating – and judges rewarded it. And regarding Daria Usacheva, in terms of skating skills she is a real princess.

Q: And what did you think of Ksenya Sinitsina’s programmes, the originality of which were noted by many?
T: Yes, overall all programmes have something good. It’s just that the fans and the judges have programmes they like more or like less, because of music and choreography preferences. Even people like you and me have them.

All skaters try to do something special – sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. But what is present for sure in any Russian skater – is the quality of skating. And it is worth noting, that the Classical (music) programmes are also very beautiful. Because, as you may agree, for a young skater it is not easy to do something very innovative and creative and still manage to perform high level jumps and spins.

Tinami Amori

Ted Barton posts on IG final day in Krasnoyarsk, says good-bye, and shows the weather outside... :D

Cherub721

YEAH!
Thanks!

If that interview with Chris Howarth has been posted before, I missed it... Would love to read it. I was thinking how a perfect commentary team would have been Ted, Chris for color commentary, and @Eislauffan for the correct pronunciation of names and the more personal anecdotes about the skaters and coaches.

Ted is an innovator, bringing us the Junior GP and now this arrangement for Russian nationals. I loved seeing him get his moment, seeing the Russian fans banners and how he could hardly believe it when the camera cut from TAT to him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information