Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir named Canada’s flag-bearers for Olympics in PyeongChang

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
An incredible, well-deserved honor for Tessa and Scott. They are such amazing representatives of Canada and their comments during the presentation today and in interviews afterwards underscore this.

Also, Justin Trudeau should ask them both to run for Parliament for the Liberals at the next election. Just parachute them into whatever open marginal seats they each want and it should be a slam-dunk win. :sekret:

Sylvia

TBD
Sportsnet Q&A by Kristina Rutherford (January 17): Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir on their careers and chemistry
(Subtitled: Olympic flag-bearers Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir talk about putting down their beers, returning to competition, and Canada's chances in Pyeongchang.)
Excerpts:
A lot of people think you’re married.
M: Yeah. Maybe that means we’re doing our job? We’re always telling stories, we’re supposed to be reacting, a man and woman on the ice, it’s romantic. What we have is such a cool relationship. It’s more about a friendship, our working relationship is so strong. We take so much pride in that.
V: It comes with the territory and that’s part of the storytelling we do on the ice. If that’s the by-product of having a great longstanding partnership, then we can deal with it.
Scott, let’s hear your scouting report on Tessa.
M: Top of the list would have a little star and it would say, “Brilliant.” She’s creative, from the beginning of time. She can move like nobody I’ve ever seen. She’s very, very selfless; she’s a people pleaser. But my favourite things I think have really just gotten even better in the last couple of years and that’s her drive, that’s her commitment to being an athlete. I mean, this is gonna be a long scouting report, we’re going to have to type through a lot of pages.
V: [Laughs.]
M: I’m motivated every single day to go to the rink because of what she brings. I know that she brings her best every day. With brilliant people, with being so creative, it’s hard to imagine you’d just be so steady. That last thing, that’s the consistency.
That’s a tough act to follow. Tessa, let’s hear your report on Scott.
V: It is a tough act to follow, for sure. As I’m hearing him talk through some of the things I’m realizing why our partnership works, because we both think the world of one another. Scott is the most disciplined, driven athlete I’ve ever met. There’s a fierce competitor deep within and the passion and the raw talent that is there — the ability to move and hear music and interpret it — is unlike anyone else I’ve ever seen on the ice. And I think because he wears his heart on his sleeve people feel so drawn in and captivated by his performances. He’s generous, thoughtful and extremely insightful. He’s able to understand the glide of the blade differently.
How about for you two: Will this be your last Olympics?
M: I’d say there’s a pretty good chance that this is the end.
V: There’s a pretty good chance, yes. Imagine I was like, “What? No!” [Fake cries.]
M: [Laughs.] It’s done, it’s over. No, that’s a decision that we’ll make after the Olympics. That’s one thing that our experience has taught us is that you don’t really know, and it’s a feeling. Right now, we’re just excited and focused on this experience ahead. Being so fortunate to have another opportunity, we just can’t wait.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information