Wildlife in Your Own Backyard

rfisher

Let the skating begin
There's a fight going on between two mockingbirds, a Cardinal and a huge male Blue Jay at my feeders. While the big birds are trying to run each other off, a tiny black capped chickadee is eating all he wants.

I haven't had mockinbirds at the feeders before, but apparently they really like the new suet blocks I put out. Together with the Blue Jay, they are actually keeping the big mama squirrel from access to the feeder with the suet (it has peanuts and sunflower seeds that the squirrel wants). It's rained too much to put corn in the ground feeder for the doves and crows, but hopefully I can get it refilled today before the next little spurt of cold rain/snow mix moves in.

I'd love to see a merlin come and check things out, but haven't seen one so far. I love sitting in my office watching the rodentia (squirrels and chipmunks) and birds. It will be time to fill the hummingbird feeder in about a month.

easilydistracte

Geezette
Not really in my backyard, but saw a small mixed flock of grackles and RUSTY BLACKBIRDS(!!!) in the parking lot of a Walgreen's (that I had stopped at on my way home from an appointment this morning). The birds were foraging food scraps that humans had just thrown into the landscaping. Was so pleased to see the rusty blackbirds, since their numbers have declined so much in the past few years.

On my street before I got to my house, I saw a few Northern Flickers in the yard of a house across the street from our house. Always enjoy seeing those birds, too.

The crows and the red-shoulder hawk family (3 birds) have been especially active in the neighborhood the last couple of months.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I have a big jerk of a mockingbird who comes to my feeders. He doesn't actually eat anything but suet as they don't eat seeds, but he roosts on the feeder hanger and chases away all the smaller birds just because he can. But, they are pretty clever. While he's chasing one away, the rest will flock to the feeder. He spends a lot of energy flying around trying to guard the feeder and isn't actually eating from the feeder. And, he doesn't seem to recognize that when the squirrels are using the platform feeder, they knock a lot of seed on the ground. While Jerkbeak is flying around showing how big he is, the other birds are under the squirrel eating. :lol:

SkateSand

Cat Servant
There's a herd of elk that wander through the neighborhood of our new home. I've seen them twice before and then today. I'm looking forward to seeing them from the kitchen window or dining room sliding door once we get moved in. I better consider what plants we use for landscaping to make sure they are elk-proof, if there is such a thing. :lol:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Today I saw a tiny bird in a tree in my backyard. It looked like a hummingbird but I've never seen a hummingbird not flying so I don't know.

The bird could tell I was there and wasn't happy about it but also didn't fly away so I could get fairly close to it. It had a reddish head and light gray breast and dark gray back.

skatingguy

decently
I got into bed tonight, and heard some animal noises from the backyard. I got up to look, and I could see the silhouettes of several animals running around. I came downstairs to have a better look, and when I stepped outside I could see that it was a few raccoons, and one of them was clearly about 5 feet off the ground in a tree. Then I realized that there was another one at the bottom of the steps, and several others approaching the porch with no signs of any fear of humans. I, on the other hand, was not interested in a really close encounter with them, and went back inside & closed the door, and suddenly I had five mid-sized raccoons on my porch. They still weren't afraid, and were scratching at the door to get in, and me yelling at them didn't deter them. They finally gave up when they realized I wasn't going to feed them.

Judy

I got into bed tonight, and heard some animal noises from the backyard. I got up to look, and I could see the silhouettes of several animals running around. I came downstairs to have a better look, and when I stepped outside I could see that it was a few raccoons, and one of them was clearly about 5 feet off the ground in a tree. Then I realized that there was another one at the bottom of the steps, and several others approaching the porch with no signs of any fear of humans. I, on the other hand, was not interested in a really close encounter with them, and went back inside & closed the door, and suddenly I had five mid-sized raccoons on my porch. They still weren't afraid, and were scratching at the door to get in, and me yelling at them didn't deter them. They finally gave up when they realized I wasn't going to feed them.
Imagine if one got into your home. You open door to see what is happening and one zips in. 😳

Vagabond

Owl Update:

I missed last year's hottest, but the pair did mate. I have been hearing them and their nesting for several days now, and I saw one of them under the viaduct this morning. 🦉

Vagabond

That was meant to be hootfest. :duh:

Months can go by here without much sign of the owls, but two or three have been hooting away the past couple of evenings. One of them, probably the breeding male, has been perched on the roof, in a pine, and in a redwood, and another, either its mate or one of the owlets, has been responding from farther up the hill. 🦉 🦉

gkelly

Looking out my bedroom window, I saw a small bird (sparrow?) sitting on the corner of the balcony above mine. Over the course of a minute or two, another bird of the same species would climb on top of it and flap its wings for a few seconds, then get off, then come back a few seconds later. Eventually it didn't come back, and then a little while later the original bird left.

Mating? Nurturing? Attacking? I have no idea.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I was camping this weekend. The campground was full of bluejays and on the last day, there were some woodpeckers. They weren't tame but they weren't afraid of us either. Also, I'm pretty sure one of the jays tried to each my nuts. I found them on the ground with the ziplock bag pecked open one day. :lol:

Today, a very small brown bird that looked like a miniature jay (same shape but smaller and no blue) flew by me and brushed my cheek. That was kind of cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information