2025 U.S. Nationals in Wichita, KS & Skate America returns to Allen, TX in 2024

ice coverage

If you are buying mid-range or cheaper tickets, could you wait until you arrive in Wichita and buy at the box office to save fees? I've done that at many events. ...

Sometimes in the past, it has been possible for me to save fees by purchasing in person at the box office.
I think this approach is worth keeping in mind, but I have found that it is not foolproof. :(
ETA:​
I do not have any guess whether or not it would work for Wichita Nats. 🤷‍♀️

I don't know whether it was a Canadian thing, but when I bought single-session tickets in person at 2023 Skate Canada International in Vancouver, I still was required to pay the same fees as for an online Ticketmaster purchase. (It was not a mistake; when I was in person at the box office, I questioned the in-person fees, and was told that I was required to pay them.)
And in reply to my e-mail before I arrived in Montreal for 2024 Worlds, Bell Centre wrote:
"The prices will be the same (including the fees) whether you purchase your tickets online or at the box office."​

At 2024 U.S. Nats in Columbus, I asked in person at the box office at Nationwide Arena whether I would have to pay the same fees for an in-person purchase of a single-session ticket that I would have to pay for an online purchase.
I ended up not making the purchase at all, but IIRC, the answer was that an in-person purchase would have the same fees as an online purchase.

As for what is or is not "typical" for fees, excerpts from a 2018 U.S. GAO report (pp. 20-21), FWIW:

We conducted our own review of ticketing fees for a nongeneralizable sample of a total of 31 concert, theater, and sporting events across five primary ticket sellers’ websites:
• In total, the combined fees averaged 27 percent of the ticket’s face value, and we observed values ranging from 13 percent to 58 percent.
• Service fees were, on average, 22 percent of the ticket’s face value, and we observed values ranging from 8 percent to 37 percent.
• Fourteen of the events we reviewed had an additional order processing fee, ranging from $1.00 to $8.20.
• Five of the events we reviewed had an additional facility fee, ranging from $2.00 to $5.10.

Additionally, we noted that the 6 sporting events we observed tended to have lower fees than the 16 concerts and 9 theater events we observed. Specifically, sporting events had total fees averaging roughly 20 percent, compared to about 30 percent for concerts and theater.​

(And if anything, I imagine that the trend since 2018 would have been an increase in fees?)

Local coverage of Boitano's visit to promote ticket sales: ...

One more: Boitano also sat down for an interview with the local ABC station:

Last edited:

Carolla5501

I just received an (unsolicited) “explanation” email from Robert at USFS regarding the fees, and I am speechless. The suggestion that “convenience fees” of 25-35% of the ticket value are “typical” for this type of event is not borne out by my experience.

Nationals in Wichita KS in January already seems like kind of a tough sell—we don’t need this on top of it. I feel sorry for the athletes, who may not be able to compete in front of the large, enthusiastic audiences that they deserve.

Yep, I got that email and saw that 25 to 30% typical and went it also means I’m not buying. I’m sorry you’re ripping me off

I bought a ticket for an concert just last week and it was not a 30% markup

I have in the past bought almost all my tickets with the exception of one or two events at box offices at skating events, just to save on these fees. I know I did that at San Jose. (I didn’t go last year)
looking at these fees I probably would do it here every thing but men’s long to see if I could save on the fees. Not to mention that that means they don’t get their money now to make money off of it while they’re being so greedy .

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I'm going with a friend to see Wanda, and saw Kathy two weeks ago. But Kathy has a show on 9/18 at the Wiltern in L.A. you could get tix to if you aren't traveling.

OMG

That’s the theater where me and my Bestie, saw Madonna, Madame X tour, front row seats can you believe it?

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I mean it shouldn't be a surprise at this point but the hotel information was sent out today and checking the Drury Plaza rates and indeed the "special rate" from USFSA is higher than what is available just going to Drury's website without any codes for the same room and the same dates. Room total for January 21-27 992.03 and "special rate" it is 1,106.82. The other two hotels are cheaper at least...

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Anyone familiar with the area? Trying to decide between Fairfield Inn and Ambassador Hotel (which is not one of the discounted hotels but looks like the surrounding area might be safer?).
I wish I had just booked that Ambassador Hotel before the rates went up.

YukiNieve

As for the three hotel rates sent by the USFS, I cannot find cancellation polices for Fairfield and Drury. Can you?

Hilton Garden Inn requires to stay 7 nights.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Anyone ever stay at the Wyndham? The reviews are mixed.
That hotel seem very affordable I definitely was considering it! I wouldn't feel comfortable walking under that freeway though and the photos from the reviews show it is rather run down.

This review sealed the deal: My husband and I booked a room over the weekend and this hotel was not what I was expecting. The pictures online are not accurate AT ALL, mutiple homeless people approached us, and our hotel door did not lock properly. We didn’t feel safe staying there so we ended up leaving. I would absolutely not recommend staying at this hotel.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
As for the three hotel rates sent by the USFS, I cannot find cancellation polices for Fairfield and Drury. Can you?

I was able to edit the dates at Hilton but the rate ends for a Sunday checkout. I have only attended one nats gala in all of the times I have had tickets to it so I am not sure I will want to stay Sunday anyway.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

I emailed Robert about the cancellation policy for the Fairfield but haven’t heard back yet. It has good reviews so it would be a good option at the rate they’re offering.

ice coverage

As for the three hotel rates sent by the USFS, I cannot find cancellation polices for Fairfield and Drury. Can you? ...

What I saw as Drury policy for USFS rate on the Payment Info page -- before it is necessary to provide a credit card number:

"Payment information is collected at this time to reserve your room. You'll be charged $0.00 today and will owe $XYZ.

If your plans change and you need to cancel, please do so by 12:00p.m. the day prior to arrival to avoid being charged one night's room and tax."​

I noticed that USFS rate at Drury was more favorable :) than public Drury rates for at least one specific combination of room type and dates of stay, as I was playing around with options.
But as mentioned already, USFS rate at Drury sometimes was less favorable than public Drury rates for other combinations of room type and dates of stay.
For anyone potentially interested in the Drury, comparison shopping of different Drury rates would be a good idea.

Last edited:

Poptarts

That hotel seem very affordable I definitely was considering it! I wouldn't feel comfortable walking under that freeway though and the photos from the reviews show it is rather run down.

This review sealed the deal: My husband and I booked a room over the weekend and this hotel was not what I was expecting. The pictures online are not accurate AT ALL, mutiple homeless people approached us, and our hotel door did not lock properly. We didn’t feel safe staying there so we ended up leaving. I would absolutely not recommend staying at this hotel.
I knew the price had to be too good to be true! Definitely glad I was able to cancel it.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I'd be also grateful if someone who is familiar with the area can tell us if there are any areas we should be more careful.

It has been around 10 years since I’ve been but generally this area is ok: North of 400, South of 2nd St. The transit center is near the arena, southeast of there. I wouldn’t stay somewhere where you have to walk by that. River area by downtown was nice. Google maps is good for getting an idea of an area. Click on the place you are interested in, select Directions and then click on the photo in the left lower corner. You can move around the area to see what it is like.

Some of the hotels use public parking garages and it sounds like there is a large homeless population in them. I will be driving, keeping an eye on garage reviews as there are reviews of vehicle break ins. I am booked at a few places and will decide closer to time where I am staying based on reports of break ins.

Edited above info.

Last edited:

YukiNieve

but generally North of 400, South of 2nd St. The transit center is near the arena, southeast of there.
Thanks! But most hotels, such as Hyatt, Drury, Fairfield and Intrust Bank Arena are north of 400.
Transit center is near Ambassador.

Does this mean that you should avoid walking to the arena from these hotels?

Debbie S

Thanks! But most hotels, such as Hyatt, Drury, Fairfield and Intrust Bank Arena are north of 400.
Transit center is near Ambassador.

Does this mean that you should avoid walking to the arena from these hotels?
The transit center is south of the arena, opposite direction from Ambassador.

But yes, the arena and all official hotels are between 400 and 2nd St. So basically, we'll be in a war zone for a week?

YukiNieve

The transit center is south of the arena, opposite direction from Ambassador.

But yes, the arena and all official hotels are between 400 and 2nd St. So basically, we'll be in a war zone for a week?
On my Google map, transit center is located between Ambassador and the arena (southeast of Ambassador). Are there more than one transit centers?

Spikefan

So basically, we'll be in a war zone for a week?
I clearly should not post before my coffee. The areas I mention are fairly safe, outside of that not so much.

:duh:
The Greyhound station is near Ambassador but Greyhound stations in cities generally have security. The city bus transit center is by the railroad tracks, southeast of the arena. It does not appear there are hotels that direction so everyone should be fine. I wouldn’t do an Air BnB that direction.

Spikefan

So I think Spikefan is saying that 777 East Waterman also is city bus hub, and we should avoid it?
Do I have that right?
From what I remember there are warehouses, railroad tracks and I was thinking a bus hub. There are no hotels that direction, on the other side of the railroad so just avoid rentals that way.

Edit: I want to see the Frank Lloyd Wright house, which is closed in January. Think I will make a weekend trip before or after the summer Olympics. Will scout everything out, present day, and report back.

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Skate America:
Thursday, June 6: All-session tickets
Thursday, Aug. 1: Single-session tickets
I was checking on dates when talking to my kids I just noticed that it says on the USFS page that all-session skam tickets will be going on sale June 13th now. The single session ticket date remains the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information