Olympic General Gymnastics Thread

Carolla5501

Well, I’m already worried about NBC’s coverage because r I watched part of the podium training today,

we can watch Brody breathe. We can watch Asher breathe

because they’re absolutely no other athletes in the whole Arena doing anything. Pathetic.

Karen-W

Well, I’m already worried about NBC’s coverage because r I watched part of the podium training today,

because they’re absolutely no other athletes in the whole Arena doing anything. Pathetic.
We knew the podium training was only going to cover the session where the US men were in the arena. There are live feeds for each individual apparatus, I think, set up already for the qualification rounds. I haven't really dug into the Peacock listings but that's how they did it for Trials and 3 years ago in Tokyo.

Carolla5501

Yes, we knew it was only going to cover the session when the US is in the arena. But we didn’t know that it would cover no other teams. I mean, after all watching Brody breathe is such riveting television.😂
We knew the podium training was only going to cover the session where the US men were in the arena. There are live feeds for each individual apparatus, I think, set up already for the qualification rounds. I haven't really dug into the Peacock listings but that's how they did it for Trials and 3 years ago in Tokyo.

DreamSkates

It will all be in Peacock. Live and on demand.

A.H.Black

Weird - but if someone comes across an image of Brody Malone's knee, I would really like to see it. I am also part of the TPF club. I had 2 tpfs when I was hit by a car going on 4 years ago. I can confirm that Brody's participation at the Olympics is truly remarkable. TPFs are not the normal broken bone injury. About 50% of those who have them never completely heal. Age and general fitness are factors and have helped Brody but with all the ligament damage he had along with it, I can understand that he did have to learn to walk again. I also understand that he really is in pain all the time.

Mine didn't have the ligament damage but I did break all 4 bones. One leg was surgical with a rod, plate and screws. I wonder if he still has his hardware - I bet he does (I had mine removed but not until 15 months). I wonder how hard it was to get back his range of motion. I wonder what type his is - there are 6 types. He had the external fixation - I didn't. He had to wait for his surgery(ies) - I didn't. Mine is strong with full range of motion and I can walk fine - but mine will be stiff for the rest of my life. I would love to compare scars. :)

ETA - I sort of got a look at his during podium training on the vault. He appears to have 2 scars at least, and possibly 3 - on either side of his knee. I assume that 2 of them are for ligament damage, while the other one is for the tpf.

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I start this with sad news. Vera von Pol (NED) has been injured and will be replaced by reserve (I do not know who the reserve is)
That's sad for her and a blow to the Dutch team. Especially after already losing Thorsdottir. Gymnastics Now reported the replacement will be Tisha Volleman.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I actually woke up randomly in time to watch the men's podium training this morning (I usually get up pretty early for work anyway so this wasn't a huge deal) and thought it was really fascinating to see how they warm up and go through routines during this part of the competition. There were a few moments that made me laugh (Asher doing the arabesque on the FX and Frederick hitting that TINY triangle at the end of one of his tumbling passes while not going out of bounds :lol: ). Paul Juda's smile is what I'm going to remember most from training today because you can just tell how HAPPY he is right now and it makes me happy too. :cheer:

And I was never under any impression that the Peacock coverage from today's and tomorrow's podium training was going to cover anyone else other than the two USA teams (they even advertised it that way) so I'm not sure why anyone thought other teams were going to be shown in this coverage. To each their own though I guess, LOL :lol: :huh:

Hedwig

Antique member
That's sad for her and a blow to the Dutch team. Especially after already losing Thorsdottir. Gymnastics Now reported the replacement will be Tisha Volleman.
Why did the lose Thorsdottir? I wondered that she wasn't in the line-up. Injuries as well?

Miezekatze

I'm not sure if this fits in this thread, but since it shows the road to the Olympics too, for German fans I really recommend the new ARD documentary about gymnastics (the 3rd episode is also relatively US centric, covering the Nasser scandal and the US college gymnastics scene a bit):

I saw the first 2 episodes in a special screening in Stuttgart during a documentary festival with a live discussion panels with some German gymnasts, that was very interesting.

Hedwig

Antique member
Is that the one where they diss Helen Kevric and that is very Seitz centric? I have not watched it but that description turned me off.

Miezekatze

Is that the one where they diss Helen Kevric and that is very Seitz centric? I have not watched it but that description turned me off.
It is partially a bit Seitz centric, but only in the first and 4th episode.

The first episode is mostly about the womens team failed attempt to qualify as a team.

The second episode is mostly about Lukas Dauser and the mens team.

The third episode is mostly about Pauline Schäfer Betzs fight against the training methods in Chemnitz (with the result being quite frustrating IMO, since not much has changed and she now trains in the men's training hall alone with her new coach, which is so "what happens in Germany if someone tries to go against the system) and other gymnastics scandals.

The 4th episode is mostly about the final Olympic decision, following of course the final decision of the women and Lukas Dausers health issues.

In the final episode I got the impression even Elli's coach seemed not surprised that Helen was unbeatable and knew that she had better chances (and I learned that Helen is coached by Ellis coach wife, which is a quite fascinating dynamic
:lol: ).
I also think the 4th episode did a good job at explaining the criteria after the first qualification round and why Helen was leading afterwards.

The only person I think who was a bit anti-Helens nombination in the documentary is Fabian Hambüchen, but he generally seems very opinionated

The panel discussion we saw had Kim Bui, Elli Seitz, Fabian Hambüchen and Emma Malewski and I thought it was very interesting.

The only person who I really didn't like in the documentary is Emma Malewski, but I'll give her her young age and I hope she matures. :shuffle:

I'm impressed by Helen Kevric, but I'm also worried about her. I read Kim Buis book, who had the same coach as Helen and she doesn't sound horrid or anything, but I also don't think she's going to have Helens health as first priority and she looked so frail during the Olympic qualification that Kimmy Repond looks very filled out in comparison. :scream:I hope it's good for her that she gets to go so early in her career.

Generally I'm rooting hard for Pauline and Sarah Voss especially, but the health state of the overall German team is not good IMO. And from a health point of view it probably also is not good that Lukas Dauser competes.

Generally it's a bit hard to enjoy gymnastics when you watch documentaries about it, but then it's probably the same with skating.

just tuned in

I'm watching on delay. Suni is having problems on beam. Fell on her aerial mount. Now they are trying a different mount-- straddle spit. Simone is kind of wobbly, too. Jade (5th spot) looks the sharpest.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Why did the lose Thorsdottir? I wondered that she wasn't in the line-up. Injuries as well?
She had a bad injury at their trials. She posted about it on her instagram. So sad because she had posted a lot of training clips and she looked fantastic.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Suni vaulted after Simone, so I wonder if this means that Suni will not be doing AA.

They all vaulted multiple times, so the initial lineup had Hezly in the non-competing / alternate role there.

From Spencer at Balance Beam Situation:

So all lineups look exactly as expected based on podium training, with Biles, Lee, Chiles doing the AA in qualification.

Karen-W

Suni vaulted after Simone, so I wonder if this means that Suni will not be doing AA.

They all vaulted multiple times, so the initial lineup had Hezly in the non-competing / alternate role there.

From Spencer at Balance Beam Situation:
Here was the order everyone ran through their routines on each apparatus -

Beam - Jordan, Hezly, Suni, Simone, Jade
Floor - Suni, Jordan, Jade, Simone, Hezly
Vault - Jordan, Jade, Simone, Suni, Hezly
Bars - Hezly, Jordan, Suni, Simone, Jade

I'm not sure why Suni would be going last rather than first on vault but it seems pretty clear she'll be doing it and trying for the AA.

honey

Here was the order everyone ran through their routines on each apparatus -

Beam - Jordan, Hezly, Suni, Simone, Jade
Floor - Suni, Jordan, Jade, Simone, Hezly
Vault - Jordan, Jade, Simone, Suni, Hezly
Bars - Hezly, Jordan, Suni, Simone, Jade

I'm not sure why Suni would be going last rather than first on vault but it seems pretty clear she'll be doing it and trying for the AA.
I think in Rio they had Aly go last on floor in qualification because Simone wanted to have a bit more time to rest before vault because she was doing two of them. Maybe it would be something similar here? It would seem weird though to not have Jade be the one going last on vault if that’s what they’re doing so Simone gets a bit more time to rest and get her grips on for bars.

I also think sometimes the podium training orders get a little wonky when some people are doing two vaults. I think it would be unlikely Suni goes last on vault in quals, but you never know I guess.

TheresMaude

I’ve never watched a podium training session before. How significant is their form at the first session?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information