USFS Team Envelopes 2024-25 Updated

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So, I just noticed the USFS has updated the Team Envelopes for the upcoming season - https://www.usfigureskating.org/skate/scholarships-and-funding/team-usa-funding

Team A​

WOMEN

Amber Glenn
Isabeau Levito
Ava Ziegler

MEN

Ilia Malinin

PAIRS

Ellie Kam and Danny O'Shea

ICE DANCE

Madison Chock and Evan Bates

Synchronized

TBA

Team B​

WOMEN

Starr Andrews
Sarah Everhardt
Josephine Lee
Elyce Lin-Gracey
Clare Seo
Lindsay Thorngren

MEN

Jason Brown
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Jimmy Ma
Maxim Naumov
Camden Pulkinen
Andrew Torgashev

PAIRS

Emily Chan and Spencer Howe
Alisa Efimova and Misha Mitrofanov
Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard
Katie McBeath and Daniil Parkman
Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez

ICE DANCE

Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville
Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons
Leah Neset and Artem Markelov
Eva Pate and Logan Bye
Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik

SYNCHRONIZED

TBA

Team C​

WOMEN

Logan Higase-Chen
Keira Hilbelink
Mia Kalin
Cleo Park
Bradie Tennell
Sherry Zhang

MEN

Aleksandr Fegan
Lucius Kazanecki
Daniel Martynov
Yaroslav Paniot
Jacob Sanchez
Taira Shinohara
Beck Strommer

PAIRS

Sydney Cooke and Matthew Kennedy
Nica Digerness and Mark Sadusky
Olivia Flores and Luke Wang
Ellie Korytek and Timmy Chapman
Naomi Williams and Lachlan Lewer

ICE DANCE

Oona Brown and Gage Brown
Isabella Flores and Ivan Desyatov
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Olivia Ilin and Dylan Cain
Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal

SYNCHRONIZED

TBA

Team D​

WOMEN

Annika Chao
Jasmine Clarke
Jiaying Ellyse Johnson
Hannah Kim
Emilia Nemirovsky
Angela Shao
Elena Wilson
Zhiqi Zhang

MEN

Ryan Azadpour
Nicholas Brooks
Lorenzo Elano
Caleb Farrington
August Perthus
Marlo Rosen
Ryedin Rudedenman
Alek Tankovic

PAIRS

Saya Carpenter and Jon Maravilla
Jolena Grohne and Reede Lunt
Sofia Jarmoc and Luke Witkowski
Reagan Moss and Jakub Galbavy

ICE DANCE

Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry
Michelle Deych and Ryan Hu
Anaelle Kouevi and Yann Homawoo
Caroline Mullen and Brendan Mullen
Jasmine Robertson and Cooper Cornwell

SYNCHRONIZED

TBA

I've got some questions, based upon the announced criteria -

Team A - shouldn't Jason Brown and Carreira/Ponomarenko be in Tier A2?

Team B - Looks like USFS decided to bump Tomoki Hiwatashi up from Tier C1; but at the same time demoted Flores/Wang (should be Tier B1) and Brown/Brown (should be Tier B2) down to Team C...

Team C - Neither Lucas Broussard nor Michael Xie are listed for any team envelope funding even though they met the criteria for Tier C1; Hawayek/Baker have been assigned to Team C so is there some chance they might compete after all? And Mullen/Mullen (should be Tier C1) were demoted to Team D...

Team D - clearly someone hasn't been told that Bland/Sperry are done and don't need team funding after all.

YukiNieve

Neither Lucas Broussard nor Michael Xie are listed for any team envelope funding even though they met the criteria for Tier C1;
What are the criteria they met?(I am not questioning, just curious)

ETA I think I got it. It is based on 2023-24 World Standing (Junior), I guess?
Is it so unclear if they mean which WS they are based on.

Last edited:

ice coverage

... Team B - Looks like USFS ... demoted Flores/Wang (should be Tier B1) ...

Team C - Neither Lucas Broussard nor Michael Xie are listed for any team envelope funding even though they met the criteria for Tier C1 ...

My two cents:

I think the criteria could be written more clearly, but for the last criteria listed for Tiers A2, B1, B2, and C1, USFS has been using the same language going back for years -- long before the advent in 2023 of ISU's junior-only version of world standings.
I believe (ETA: for the criteria of this type) USFS is basing all four tiers on the original (what I will call "big") version of world standings (combination of senior and junior), and not the new junior-only version of world standings. And basing all four tiers on the one list of season's best scores for both senior and junior.
I think changing the word order to what I have written below would better convey what I believe USFS always has had in mind (ETA: for the criteria of this type).
For Tier A2: for senior athletes and teams, Top 1-6 in season’s best scores or world standings for the 2023-24 season
For Tier B1: for senior athletes and teams, Top 7-12 in season’s best scores or world standings for the 2023-24 season
For Tier B2: for senior athletes and teams, Top 13-24 in season’s best scores or world standings for the 2023-24 season
For Tier C1: for junior athletes and teams, Top 1-24 in season’s best scores or world standings for the 2023-24 season​
So for USFS envelopes, I don't think it counts that in junior-only version of world standings, Flores/Wang are #6; Broussard #8; Xie #24. In the "big" version of world standings: F/W are #40; Broussard #52; Xie #93.
Season's best scores: F/W #22; Broussard #49; Xie #74. But because F/W were a junior team in 2023-24, I don't think they meet Tier B2 criterion.

So I think USFS did follow its intended criteria in placing Flores/Wang in Team C (Tier 1). I'm not seeing at all why you think they should be as high as Tier B1?
And sadly, I think USFS did follow its intended criteria in not listing Broussard or Xie in any envelope.

... And Mullen/Mullen (should be Tier C1) were demoted to Team D...

I think Mullens do belong in Team D (Tier 1). They placed 5th in junior at Nats.
I like them a lot, but I'm not seeing at all why you think they should be Tier C1? Or Tier C2, for that matter.
Even in junior-only world standings, Mullens are #33. On season's best list, #82.

Last edited:

ice coverage

So it's world standings, not Worlds placements, that are used? ...

Can't tell whether my post above prompted your initial question?
I was not suggesting that world standings are the only criterion -- I wrote a lot about world standings only because I was responding about Flores/Wang, Broussard, and Xie. I have gone back to add a few words that I hope will help.

... Like Karen, I'm confused as to why Jason and. C/P aren't in A2.

Yes, I agree that Jason and C/P belong in Tier A2. (y)
They met the A2 criterion of: "Placements 4th – 10th at the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships."

I guess this confirms that N/M are moving up to seniors?

Why exactly would N/M's envelope be confirmation of moving up??

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So Josephine Lee is on team B senior list? Age eligible this coming season? Good news.

farahfan

Can't tell whether my post above prompted your initial question?
I was not suggesting that world standings are the only criterion -- I wrote a lot about world standings only because I was responding about Flores/Wang, Broussard, and Xie. I have gone back to add a few words that I hope will help.

Yes, I agree that Jason and C/P belong in Tier A2. (y)
They met the A2 criterion of: "Placements 4th – 10th at the 2024 ISU World Figure Skating Championships."

Why exactly would N/M's envelope be confirmation of moving up??
I thought B was for seniors. But on second look the WJC can be there too.

Karen-W

Where are Wolfkostin /Tsarevski? Did I miss a breakup announcement?
No, they simply didn't meet the Team Envelope criteria.

@ice coverage - the B2 criteria specifically states Top 13-24 on the Season’s Best or World Standings - Flores/Wang are #22 on the Season’s Best list (which is a sr/jr combined list), likewise the Browns are #19 on the Season’s Best list. I don't see any valid reason why either team is only getting Team C funding when they both clearly meet the Team B criteria.

The last bullet point of the C1 criteria specifically states 1-24 on the Season’s Best or World Standings for junior athletes and seems explicitly separate from the wording used for B2 which states senior skaters/teams. If the intent is to use the combined World Standings lists for ALL Team Envelope criteria then why have the final bullet points read as follows:

Team B2 - Top 13-24 in season's best or world standings for the 2023-24 season for senior athletes and teams
Team C1 - Top 1-24 in season's best or world standings for the 2023-24 season for junior athletes and teams

By your rationale, there would be no need for the last bullet point in C1 to exist because any junior skater or team that finishes in the Top 1-24 season's best or world standings combined lists (which include all senior and junior scores/points) would have received A or B Envelope status already - their status as a senior or junior skater is irrelevant. It does not make any logical sense to exclude Broussard (Jr WS 8), Xie (Jr WS 24) or the Mullens (Jr SB 18) from Tier C2 since the wording explicitly is using the JUNIOR lists.

ETA - I can see a bit of wiggle room for the Mullens if only because there is not a separate junior-only SB list and the only way to figure out where any skater or team would rank on a junior-only SB is to remove any skaters/teams who only competed in senior events this past season and compile a separate list.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Just a reminder that USFS' International Selection Pool is separate from the team envelopes: https://www.usfigureskating.org/skate/qualify-for-team-usa

"The International Selection Pool (ISP) includes junior- and senior-level athletes and teams who meet criteria approved by the U.S. Figure Skating International Committee. These athletes and teams are eligible to be considered for assignment to international competitions."

ETA:

The ISP is a fluid list and skaters/teams can be added based on monitoring and/or performances in competitions - I previously posted the current lists in the individual discipline threads in early April:

Men (40): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/u-s-men-2023-24-news-updates.110812/page-19#post-6583858

Women (41): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...n-the-dance-floor.111091/page-29#post-6583837

Pairs (11; Reagan Moss/Jakub Galbavy J6 have since been added since he has been released by SVK): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...any-teams-we-have.110747/page-26#post-6583874

Ice Dance (should be 19 with the splits of Hauer/Starr, Carhart/Horovyi, Bland/Sperry-not yet removed from the ISP or D team envelope ): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...3-24-news-updates.110811/page-33#post-6583870

When the 2024-25 news thread by discipline are created (after the GP assignments are published in June?) I can copy over the relevant team envelope & ISP lists like I did last year.

Last edited:

ice coverage

... Tier C2 since the wording explicitly is using the JUNIOR lists. ...

No, the exact USFS wording never says, "junior lists". That was the crux of my point above.

... @ice coverage - the B2 criteria specifically states Top 13-24 on the Season’s Best or World Standings - Flores/Wang are #22 on the Season’s Best list (which is a sr/jr combined list), likewise the Browns are #19 on the Season’s Best list. I don't see any valid reason why either team is only getting Team C funding when they both clearly meet the Team B criteria.

The last bullet point of the C1 criteria specifically states 1-24 on the Season’s Best or World Standings for junior athletes and seems explicitly separate from the wording used for B2 which states senior skaters/teams. If the intent is to use the combined World Standings lists for ALL Team Envelope criteria then why have the final bullet points read as follows:

Team B2 - Top 13-24 in season's best or world standings for the 2023-24 season for senior athletes and teams
Team C1 - Top 1-24 in season's best or world standings for the 2023-24 season for junior athletes and teams

By your rationale, there would be no need for the last bullet point in C1 to exist because any junior skater or team that finishes in the Top 1-24 season's best or world standings combined lists (which include all senior and junior scores/points) would have received A or B Envelope status already - their status as a senior or junior skater is irrelevant. It does not make any logical sense to exclude Broussard (Jr WS 8), Xie (Jr WS 24) or the Mullens (Jr SB 18) from Tier C2 since the wording explicitly is using the JUNIOR lists.

ETA - I can see a bit of wiggle room for the Mullens if only because there is not a separate junior-only SB list and the only way to figure out where any skater or team would rank on a junior-only SB is to remove any skaters/teams who only competed in senior events this past season and compile a separate list.

I hope you will go back and re-read my first post, where I already addressed everything that you are saying here.
(I never have mentioned Oona/Gage Brown in this thread, because I always have agreed that USFS should have put them in Tier B2.)

To recap what I said before with respect to to F/W, Broussard, Xie, and Mullens:

Even well before 2023, when the ISU created the junior-only WS list, earlier versions of USFS criteria going back numerous seasons already used the same language -- including word order -- of:​
(for C1) "Top 1-24 in season’s best scores or world standings for the 2023-24 season for junior athletes and teams"
(for A2, B1, B2) "Top X-Y in season’s best scores or world standings for the 2023-24 season for senior athletes and teams"​
(The criteria for earlier seasons of course referred to the correct preceding season at the time, not to 2023-24.
But otherwise, the criteria for earlier seasons used the exact same language and word order.)​
ETA: For example, I have added link to USFS criteria for 2019-20 to the bottom of this post.​

USFS obviously could not have intended to use the junior-only WS list before it even existed.
With USFS invoking the exact same language to this day, I do not think USFS is using the junior-only WS list now either.

For this type of criteria (involving WS and SB), the USFS language was not well-written to begin with (even before the junior-only WS list existed) -- and better writing definitely is needed now.
As I said before, it would help to change the word order.
Especially if USFS going forward wants to continue to use only the "big" WS list that combines junior and senior, I think it would help to move "for junior athletes and teams" to the beginning of the WS/SB criterion for C1; and to move "for senior athletes and teams" to the beginning of the WS/SB criterion for A2, B1, and B2.​

ETA:​
I looked up the USFS document re envelope criteria for 2019-20 season, for example.
From Tier C1 criteria:​
"Top 24 in season’s best scores for the 2018-19 season for junior athletes and teams
Top 24 in world standings for the 2018-19 season for junior athletes and teams"​

Last edited:

Karen-W

For this type of criteria (involving WS and SB), the USFS language was not well-written to begin with (even before the junior-only WS list existed) -- and better writing definitely is needed now.
As I said before, it would help to change the word order.​
Especially if USFS going forward wants to continue to use only the "big" WS list that combines junior and senior, I think it would help to move "for junior athletes and teams" to the beginning of the WS/SB criterion for C1; and to move "for senior athletes and teams" to the beginning of the WS/SB criterion for A2, B1, and B2.​

ETA:​
I looked up the USFS document re envelope criteria for 2019-20 season, for example.​
From Tier C1 criteria:​
"Top 24 in season’s best scores for the 2018-19 season for junior athletes and teams​
Top 24 in world standings for the 2018-19 season for junior athletes and teams"​
Okay, that makes more sense. I do agree, though I sort of feel like any and all junior skaters who finish 2nd or 3rd at Jr Worlds or medal at the JGPF should be eligible for Team B funding - especially if they, like Flores/Wang, are also in the SB Top 24. That seems at least equal to winning Jr Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
Ice Dance (should be 19 with the splits of Hauer/Starr, Carhart/Horovyi, Bland/Sperry-not yet removed from the ISP or D team envelope ): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...3-24-news-updates.110811/page-33#post-6583870
Bland/Sperry's names were removed today from both the Team D envelope and the Ice Dance ISP list (ETA that teams and/or their coaches have to notify USFS officially of their respective splits for this to happen): https://www.usfigureskating.org/skate/qualify-for-team-usa#IceDance

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information