2016 Rio Olympics: Water unsafe for sailing/rowing sports?

Skittl1321

Aren't there open water swimming events? That sounds way more disgusting than rowing/sailing (where at least you only are fully immersed in the water if you make a mistake...)

And yeah- they have known about this for a long time. This is truly disgusting.

ilovepaydays

Wasn't there similar concerns about the water and quality in Beijing? I think a number of medal favorites in the marathon withdrew because they were asthmatic and didn't want to take the risk. But I believe things were "relatively" cleaned up for the Games.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
IIRC, the rowing worlds were held there earlier this year and both the Australian and USA teams came down sick from the water. I remember something about it because the actual rowing team was very pissy with the AOC who had their bigwigs up there proclaiming that nothing was wrong while the rowers were all quite ill.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
I got an ESPN notification on my phone yesterday that said this:

IOC member Anita DeFrantz blames ice cream, not Rio's water for U.S. junior rowers' illness in August.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I'm more concerned about the generators o_O.

That seems... odd, and potentially quite polluting, though I don't know how much 'green' energy power companies in Brazil can supply.

I still can't get over the fact that one of the reasons Oslo retracted the winter bid was the demands of the IOC officials for special cars and lanes and everything.

I love the Olympics for the athletes, but the whole 'olympic movement' thing has soured a little for me.

Seerek

Not that this will likely help matters at all, but there appears to be no water events on the Rio Test Event schedule until next April.

(Last weekend was the slalom canoe/kayak Test Event in Rio, but that was held in a self-contained man-made whitewater stadium)

barbk

I'm more concerned about the generators o_O.

That seems... odd, and potentially quite polluting, though I don't know how much 'green' energy power companies in Brazil can supply.

I still can't get over the fact that one of the reasons Oslo retracted the winter bid was the demands of the IOC officials for special cars and lanes and everything.

I love the Olympics for the athletes, but the whole 'olympic movement' thing has soured a little for me.

Watching what the IOC demanded when they took over our office building for their headquarters at the 88 Olympics, I could not agree more.

A more entitled group of snobs would be harder to find.

misskarne

Not that this will likely help matters at all, but there appears to be no water events on the Rio Test Event schedule until next April.

(Last weekend was the slalom canoe/kayak Test Event in Rio, but that was held in a self-contained man-made whitewater stadium)

I would not blame the outdoor water athletes in the slightest if they refused to compete in these conditions. And I wish the national bodies would have enough balls to say, "No, it was your bloody water making our athletes sick, DO something about it!"

jiejie

Wasn't there similar concerns about the water and quality in Beijing? I think a number of medal favorites in the marathon withdrew because they were asthmatic and didn't want to take the risk. But I believe things were "relatively" cleaned up for the Games.

Air quality was the concern in Beijing, not water quality. The endurance swimming and the triathlon event took place at a pretty clean reservoir outside the city. The rowing and canoeing events at a purpose-built, self-contained facility. The sailing events were held in open water at Qingdao on the coast, quite far away from Beijing. Qingdao actually had problems with green algae blooms around the sailing venue in the weeks leading up to the 2008 Games (a seasonal problem there), but it was cleaned up in time for the events. Rio seems to have much more serious water issues at their venues, but the physical setup is different.

jersey1302

They way its being put.. Its like they are holding the olympics in a third world country. I know Brazil has many many poor parts and the gap between rich and poor is monstrous but Brazil realistically is not a poor country government wise.. is it?

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
New article on the polluted waters that aren't likely to be entirely cleaned up in time for the Games:
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...pic-training-competition-sites-rio-de-janiero

Outside the Lines obtained a confidential U.S. Olympic Committee planning document written in October 2015 that states, "The USOC has ongoing concerns over possible existing viral and bacterial contaminants in the water. ... The USOC remains hopeful, but we do not expect to anticipate major reductions [italics are the USOC's] in bacterial or viral pathogen levels at the competition venues.

misskarne

So the water-based athletes must now choose between their own health and competing in the biggest event of their lives. Way to go, IOC.

barbk

I wonder whether the physicians for the Olympic teams will advise sailing, rowing and kayaking competitors to shower and wash up with Hibiclens before and after venturing onto the water. It apparently provides about 6 hours of protection against some bacteria (such as MRSA) and some viruses (like influenza) from sticking to the skin:

"Clinical studies have shown that a 4% CHG solution, such as HIBICLENS, can help reduce facility infection rates, resulting in a significant economic gain.1 This antimicrobial antiseptic skin cleanser can be an effective defense for preventing the spread of MRSA2 and other staph infections in your facilities. Its active ingredient, chlorhexidine gluconate, works in a unique way - it kills germs on contact3 and bonds with the skin4 to keep killing microorganisms even after washing."

It wouldn't do anything for inhaled or ingested pathogens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information