2018 Minto Summer Skate (July 26-29, Gloucester ON) & free, live streams to watch

cygnus

I just looked at results in group 3.... wow, looks like 2nd and 3rd place in this group would not medal if they skated in groups 1 and 2.... what a strange competition arrangement.

Not really. There were over 80 Junior Ladies entered, (and over 250 at the Pre-Novice level!). It would have been impossible to use the same judging panel for each discipline, and no way except random draw to seed each section. I guess they could have used the scores to determine an overall winner, but that could be problematic. It's a summer comp- it's fine the way it is.

mag

Not really. There were over 80 Junior Ladies entered, (and over 250 at the Pre-Novice level!). It would have been impossible to use the same judging panel for each discipline, and no way except random draw to seed each section. I guess they could have used the scores to determine an overall winner, but that could be problematic. It's a summer comp- it's fine the way it is.

With three groups, taking the top four and having a final (LP only) would have been a good idea. I believe they did this a Glacier Falls.

euterpe

One of the problems with the Junior ladies event was that several of the more competitive skaters withdrew, mostly from Groups 2 and 3. In Group 2, none of the medalwinners had a proper lutz or flip. In Group 3, the winner had only 3t and 3s, and the other two medalwinners had mostly double jumps.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
I stand by my belief that Emy should give pairs a try so she only has to jump twice in a freeskate.

Catherine, I recall way back when, usenet? Udel? you were the first to say Jamie Sale needs to ditch the singles and pair up with David? I forget what the website was. So, let us watch and wait. Your predictions are usually right. Though some, not. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dFGmvCmw_mk

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

With three groups, taking the top four and having a final (LP only) would have been a good idea. I believe they did this a Glacier Falls.
I agree..... I wonder how the Gold medalist in Group 2 feels knowing that 2 other girls (in groups 1 and 3) were awarded same Gold medals in the same competition with MUCH lower scores.... and had the scores been combined, Gold winner in Group 2 would have stood above all. and now her Gold is lessened with 2 others given same reward (Gold) "for less results"..

Sylvia

TBD
Canadian club comps have been doing this for a long time now and fans previously have suggested having a Final round free skate like many larger U.S. club comps do (more ice time costs more for the organizing club and there could be scheduling issues as well). Having more than 1 qualifying group always leads to some groups being deeper/more competitive than others because groups are not seeded based on previous season's results. ETA: Also, even if the national level skaters were seeded, withdrawals are so common in the summer that the groups would likely still be uneven.

Some U.S. club comps now use a mixture of top x advance to the Final round plus the next x highest total scores across all groups (Skate Detroit) but Glacier Falls did not and I noticed that 1 junior lady who had a higher total score in 7th in one group did not make the FR over the 6th place skater in the other group.

Last edited:

euterpe

If 'final round' was restricted to just Novice and Junior Ladies, it wouldn't affect scheduling all that much, since it would mean only two more events of just 12 skaters per event.

Sylvia

TBD
I saw that the link to this YT account was posted in the Canadian Men's thread in GSD; I've linked directly to the FS videos that were captured from the live stream (8 of the top 10 below):

Junior Men final standings (top 10):
1 Stephen Gogolev Toronto CS & CC ON 80.74 (1) 146.85 (1) 227.59 [Short Program] [Free Skate] (blocked in USA due to music copyright)
2 Conrad Orzel Toronto CS & CC ON 74.36 (2) 134.61 (2) 208.97 [Free Skate]
3 Joseph Phan CPA Laval QC 65.90 (4) 127.35 (3) 193.25 [Free Skate]
4 Iliya Kovler Richmond Training Centre ON 63.70 (5) 127.11 (4) 190.81 [Free Skate]
5 Corey Circelli Toronto CS & CC ON 67.13 (3) 113.57 (6) 180.70 [Free Skate]
6 Beres Clements Champs International Skating Centre BC/YK 60.01 (6) 112.76 (7) 172.77
7 Aleksa Rakic Champs International Skating Centre BC/YK 56.23 (7) 115.48 (5) 171.71
8 Koen Kucher Skate Regina SK 50.51 (10) 102.53 (8) 153.04 [Free Skate]
9 Alec Guinzbourg Richmond Training Centre ON 55.66 (9) 96.25 (10) 151.91 [Free Skate]
10 Shingo Nishiyama Japan 44.17 (14) 98.34 (9) 142.51 [Free Skate]

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information