2023 Skate America Men FS - Texas TES Score Massacre

Jammers

He IS paying attention. Look, he's a technical phenom who is now working hard on other things (his spins are already great). I can see a significant difference even between his first competition and here. And he's only 18, and the family is obviously aware that he needs to continue to work on them. If there's a problem, it's that the judges are not creating an appropriate spread on the presentation marks. But then Kevin should get dinged for a pretty empty 2nd half program when he runs out of gas.
I love how people keep saying Ilia is just a jumper but just check out Nathan at the Olympics in 2018 at the same age Ilia is right now he was no more of a performer at the time then Ilia is perhaps even less so. It was just jump jump jump.

peibeck

Simply looking
I know they were looking at some of his jumps but maybe they were scared of the rabid crowd idk. Deniss had like every pass reviewed once again, but I don't care he had such ease of movement and charisma. It was a great program, much better then o thought it would be.

His TES would have slightly dropped, which no one in the audience would know, and he still would have easily held onto the second spot. Not calling an obvious UR is just one of those things that pisses off serious fans of the sport.

skateboy

It's just 2023. Ilia, to my eyes, is looking wonderful. His artistic presentation has improved by leaps and bounds. And, as someone who used to compete and understands how difficult these elements are, I am in awe at his athletic achievement. He's a phenomenon.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
His TES would have slightly dropped, which no one in the audience would know, and he still would have easily held onto the second spot. Not calling an obvious UR is just one of those things that pisses off serious fans of the sport.
Yeah, as a massive Aymoz fan I still don't know how it didn't get anything. I just went back to rewatch to make sure I wasn't crazy and his foot landed forward. Definite << territory. There's no excuse for the panel to look the other way, especially on something that was obvious in real-time.

mtnskater

Ilia…just beyond, beyond amazing!!!! :encore::summer::cool::40beers:

He has everything going for him. If he keeps improving his artistry by leaps and bounds like he is…look out! I’ve never seen such ease in jumping ever. And I never thought it would be this soon we would see someone as good a jumper as Chen. Thought it might be a decade or more. How lucky we are in the U.S. to have both of them on our skating team. He’s so adorable and charming to boot!

A million poxes on Peacock for once again chacking the men’s medal ceremony at Skate America when the home team guy wins :mad::mad::angryfire Well kept the feed on and what do you know it pops back in after the medalists are on the podium 😂

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Malinin's 4S looked a bit tight. Some of the other quads were just glorious, the 4Lz+Eu+3S in particular.

The choreography is 'good', but I don't think the music itself lends to a very artistic performance, even when the music changes towards the end for the Chen-esque remix finish. I still think overall he's right around an 8 PCS.
Malinin does not at this point have the intellectual maturity to give a Chen-esque performance, nor the dance or the musical background that Nathan had at the same age. He's a work in progress, so let's see how and if he evolves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information