2025 U.S. Nationals in Wichita, KS & Skate America returns to Allen, TX in 2024

Sylvia

TBD
NBC news station in Wichita has the story+video:

This 5-minute video (embedded at the bottom of the article) shows USFS CEO Tracy Marek making the announcement in Wichita today: https://www.ksn.com/video/wichita-to-host-u-s-figure-skating-championships/9631293/

ETA:

CBS' local station in Wichita also had a TV news report today with Tracy Marek speaking in the arena:

ABC station in Wichita: https://www.kake.com/story/50703139/wichita-to-host-us-figure-skating-championships
Jason Brown visited Wichita and the KFDI FM radio station (5th photo in his set) - his photos from around town: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6J3gtyutCy/
Article:
Excerpt:
The U.S Figure Skating Championships have the potential for a significant economic impact on Wichita, as past events have generated an estimated $8 million in host markets. Additionally, NBC has provided more than 40 hours of live coverage across its networks.
Susie Santo, president and CEO of Visit Wichita, said in a press release, “It has been an honor to host four figure skating events over the last seven years, facilitating a strong relationship with U.S. Figure Skating and giving us the chance to gain the trust and experience needed to host U.S. Figure Skating’s most prestigious event. This is an incredible opportunity for Wichita to showcase our energetic and welcoming city to figure skating athletes and fans from around the country.”
Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of Commerce David Toland said, “U.S. Figure Skating’s selection of Wichita to host this prestigious competition is an honor for the entire state. While these elite athletes showcase their talent on the ice, Kansas will be on full display to the skating community around the world.”
ETA that Josh Howell (Visit Wichita's VP of Sports Development) shared Jason's X post/photos with this message: "It was so exciting to spend time w/ @jasonbskates this week during our announcement of the @Prevagen @USFigureSkating Championships! His energy & excitement was contagious & we joked that he is now a walking billboard for our city! Come see the best skaters in the US this Jan.!" https://twitter.com/JoshTHowell/status/1783212989182603637

Last edited:

CassAgain

If you are planning to rent a car, Tulsa is an easy drive to Wichita—flights might be more reasonable.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Is it possible that something fell through and so they had to find a different venue?
Urgh. That just gave me flashbacks from the 2023 Four Continents debacle when Ice Skating Australia couldn't get their ducks in a row and secure a venue in either Sydney or The Gold Coast.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Wichita and its suburbs have a population well over half a million people, so it's not really as remote as people would believe considering it's "flyover country" for coasters. Most exciting city I've ever visited? No, but being home to McConnell Air Force Base, I found some diversions there. :saint:

Pizza Hut and White Castle were both founded in Wichita too... so maybe that's a preview of the arena concessions? :lol:
I'm not saying the city itself may not be exciting. (This is coming from someone who went to Detroit in 1994. That town was an experience in itself!)

Just extremely difficult to consider visiting from o/s. I checked travel options from my home city of Melbourne in Australia, and it would take at least three connecting flights and 43 hours to get there!

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking
I'm not saying the city itself may not be exciting. (This is coming from someone who went to Detroit in 1994. That town was an experience in itself!)

Just extremely difficult to consider visiting from o/s. I checked travel options from my home city of Melbourne in Australia, and it would take at least three connecting flights and 43 hours to get there!

Even people in the US will likely need flight connections as Wichita isn't a major hub. :respec: to you for considering flying all the was from Australia to middle America for a skating comp though.

ChillSkate

I'm thrilled Skate America will be back in Allen, TX! This was nearly a perfect venue for the event:
  • Good sized arena with excellent site lines
  • Close to a major international airport
  • Several hotels within walking distance
  • Many restaurants and stores directly outside the arena
  • Pleasant weather in the Fall
  • In a major metropolitan area with an enthusiastic local skating community

I'm really excited and look forward to being back in Allen this year!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I'm thrilled Skate America will be back in Allen, TX! This was nearly a perfect venue for the event:
  • Good sized arena with excellent site lines
  • Close to a major international airport
  • Several hotels within walking distance
  • Many restaurants and stores directly outside the arena
  • Pleasant weather in the Fall
  • In a major metropolitan area with an enthusiastic local skating community

I'm really excited and look forward to being back in Allen this year!

And since USFSA has finally announced the location of this, they need to call or even hire ANL so I can come in there and do a proper kiss and cry. Let’s get this done USFSA. DM mean!!!!

No more white sofa, no more backdrop advertising something unrelated to figure skating, no more giant sized lotion bottle props, no cut outs.

ice coverage

.... no more backdrop advertising something unrelated to figure skating, no more giant sized lotion bottle props ...

Individual U.S. skaters need all the sponsors that they can get, and USFS as a federation needs all the sponsors that it can get (more than ever).

Given that Amlactin had started a multi-year sponsorship deal with USFS -- plus a one-year paid partnership with Amber Glenn ❤️ -- I think Amlactin was entitled to the giant lotion bottle props.

I wish that Nats branding had been included as part of the Kiss and Cry backdrop in Columbus -- at the same time that a Nats partner from the Columbus area was featured.
It is something good, not something bad, that Columbus Nats received support from a local entity without an obvious connection to figure skating.

Too bad it looks like it'd be a hassle to get to Allen from DFW without a car. ...

Uber and Lyft are easy to get at DFW. ...

And if a budget-friendlier alternative from DFW to Allen is desired, what worked quite easily for me last year was light rail from DFW to Plano, and then Lyft from Plano to Allen. Details here:

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The giant lotion bottles weren't the worst part of the Kiss 'n Cry. It was the really small set, the total lack of branding as this being the premier US figure skating competition, and that it was solely the local partner. The Chinese, Japanese and Finnish event organizers are much better at creating a nice KnC that features the event sponsors but doesn't looked squished or just supremely tacky. Honestly, the only thing we SHOULD have been mocking in the KnC were the giant lotion bottles but there was just so much other stuff about it that screamed "zero budget, thought or care put into this."

ice coverage

Given that Amlactin had started a multi-year sponsorship deal with USFS -- plus a one-year paid partnership with Amber Glenn ❤️ -- I think Amlactin was entitled to the giant lotion bottle props.

ANL doesn’t do tacky

If I were Amber Glenn and I had to choose between additional funding for myself+my federation vs. the absence of giant lotion bottles from the Kiss and Cry, I would choose additional funding. :)

(To be clear: I am saying that I believe Amber also would prioritize funding. I obviously am not saying that Amber is tacky -- I don't think she is.)

ETA:​
I hope it also is obvious that I was not suggesting that Amber herself literally was forced to make a choice.​
My point is that when a sponsor says, "Jump!", USFS perhaps would be in no position to respond with anything other than, "How high?" As a fan of Amber and of USFS events, I am willing to accept the trade-off when promotion of a sponsor takes precedence over aesthetics of the Kiss and Cry.​

Last edited:

Karen-W

When the sponsors are announced, we should use one of those AI image generators and have it design a K&C.
Or start a design contest of our own and source out the furniture/materials needed to create it.

Seriously, the USFS needs to market this as an opportunity for a major retailer like Wayfair or Home Goods to sponsor the KnC.

ice coverage

... Seriously, the USFS needs to market this as an opportunity for a major retailer like Wayfair or Home Goods to sponsor the KnC.

Wayfair once was "the official home furnishing provider of U.S. Figure Skating."
2016 Nats (and 2015 Skate America) had the "Wayfair Lounge" for athletes.
The Wayfair website had a special page (now defunct) where the products seen in the lounge could be purchased -- it also had quite a lot of quotes from Team USA skaters about their personal styles of home decor.

Photo of the Wayfair Lounge at 2016 Nats: https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/690204138899005440

Last edited:

Karen-W

Wayfair once was "the official home furnishing provider of U.S. Figure Skating."
2016 Nats had the "Wayfair Lounge" for athletes.
The Wayfair website had a special page (now defunct) where the products seen in the lounge could be purchased -- it also had quite a lot of quotes from Team USA skaters about their personal styles of home decor.

Hmmmm... I wonder why they discontinued the relationship.

Heck, at the minimum, the local event organizers need to approach a home furnishings chain that operates in the Wichita metro area to sponsor it then. It can't be all that expensive to pull something together for the week.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Hmmmm... I wonder why they discontinued the relationship.
Most sponsorships end because the sponsor doesn't think they are getting value for their money.

Heck, at the minimum, the local event organizers need to approach a home furnishings chain that operates in the Wichita metro area to sponsor it then. It can't be all that expensive to pull something together for the week.
It's cheap enough that it doesn't really need a sponsor.

I'm not sure what happened last year but making the signage bigger and including the USFS logo and name of the event shouldn't have cost much at all. Neither would be having a bigger couch.

It's mystifying to me how we got what we got. But I'd be very surprised if the choice was losing sponsors and their money vs. having a decent KnC.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
If I were Amber Glenn and I had to choose between additional funding for myself+my federation vs. the absence of giant lotion bottles from the Kiss and Cry, I would choose additional funding. :)

(To be clear: I am saying that I believe Amber also would prioritize funding. I obviously am not saying that Amber is tacky -- I don't think she is.)

ETA:I hope it also is obvious that I was not suggesting that Amber herself literally was forced to make a choice.
My point is that when a sponsor says, "Jump!", USFS perhaps would be in no position to respond with anything other than, "How high?" As a fan of Amber and of USFS events, I am willing to accept the trade-off when promoting a sponsor takes precedence over the aesthet

Oh my

Is it possible for you to keep it light? Perhaps realize humor from time to time?

I hope you don’t come across any harem conversations in the future. Won’t need lecturing. Humor, yes.

ice coverage

Oh my

Is it possible for you to keep it light? Perhaps realize humor from time to time?

I hope you don’t come across any harem conversations in the future. Won’t need lecturing. Humor, yes.

I think we can agree on one thing: my sense of humor and yours are very different. :lol:
(I generally enjoy most conversations on FSU, but I do not come here for entertainment value.
Or for harem conversations -- when I have come across them, I have kept my mouth shut and just moved on. 😇)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Jason Brown visited Wichita and the KFDI FM radio station (5th photo in his set) - his photos from around town: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6J3gtyutCy/
"Jason Brown stopped by the [KFDI FM] studio to talk about his figure skating life and the big news for Wichita, the U.S. Figure Skating Championships coming in January" with JJ Hayes (5 mins.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0LjPfdc8iI
JJ: "If I'm going to get out there in a unicorn outfit next year you are going to a karaoke bar [Jason: "Deal!"]... It's going to be a really amazing time. My wife was super excited about it when she heard about this yesterday!"

Wichita leaders excited for economic development opportunity with U.S. Figure Skating Championships (1.5 min. video):

ETA:

Article in The Wichita Eagle that I was able to skim quickly before it asked me to subscribe:

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
My son lived in Denver (now lives in Witchia) flew with a friend to Wichita in Dec. It was fairly inexpensive at that time.

I know it's about a 5 hour drive for me.

It's generally not icy or cold (usual Jan low ~35°F). If I recall correctly it's mostly flat or small inclines. My biggest issue is the interstate off ramps - but it's been decades since I drove it. I think it was better when DH and I drive there 5 years ago.

In my view, unless an event is held on the coast(s), everyone bitches about the location.

I'm sad for Wichita because I know what happened to Omaha when a Worlds was held in NA and a Midwest, Smaller city held Nationals. And as I understand it, Wichita did a great job with Adult Nationals.

Sylvia

TBD
I'm sad for Wichita because I know what happened to Omaha [2013 Nationals] when a Worlds was held in NA and a Midwest, Smaller city held Nationals.
Hopefully Nationals will be able to attract casual (or new) skating fans in the Wichita area who want to experience watching live skating in person -- like Columbus did -- and who aren't planning to go to Boston Worlds (diehards like many of us). I've been impressed by the local media "blitz" to promote the event so far!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information