2025 U.S. Nationals in Wichita, KS & Skate America returns to Allen, TX in 2024

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I don't know. Maybe common sense prevailed that no one was going to go to Peoria, IL in January for Nationals as it's hardly the easiest destination to reach!?!?
I don't think you're the only one who had sources pointing at Illinois for both events. Of course, maybe it was the same person lying to everyone on FSU and pointing us in the wrong direction!

peibeck

Simply looking
I don't think you're the only one who had sources pointing at Illinois for both events. Of course, maybe it was the same person lying to everyone on FSU and pointing us in the wrong direction!

It's not a huge deal to me, but I was seriously contemplating volunteering if it was Peoria. Ironically, with the first tips I got I believed it was going to be Wichita though. Should have stuck with my gut. :lol:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Not that US Nationals is located for the benefit of people outside the US, but I took a look at the airfares from Western Canada to Wichita :scream: I could probably go hang out with @Aceon6 in Sheffield for cheaper.

No insult to our FSUers in Texas, who are all wonderful people, but I didn't go to SA in Texas last year, and I won't go this year, because of the pro-gun laws and the high gun violence rate in the state.

livetoskate

Too bad it looks like it'd be a hassle to get to Allen from DFW without a car. Wichita in January doesn't sound like a fun place to visit. I'll probably go to Skate Canada & Worlds in Boston instead.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

When I heard that US Nationals are going to be in Wichita, Kansas, getting to such a remote location gives me the same level of buzz as a bus and truck tour stop from Rose Louise and her Hollywood Blondes.

Last edited:

Debbie S

I'm not terribly excited about Wichita either, but I just checked weather averages...avg temp in Jan is 45, which is 2 degrees warmer than where I live. Average snow per winter is also less, only about 12 inches. It might not be too bad.

Now, having written that, it will probably snow every day and be colder than Montreal. :lol:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Too bad it looks like it'd be a hassle to get to Allen from DFW without a car. Wichita in January doesn't sound like a fun place to visit. I'll probably go to Skate Canada & Worlds in Boston instead.

Uber and Lyft are easy to get at DFW. i’m not sure where you’re flying in from, but I would think that airfare to Dallas would be cheaper than airfare to Halifax. I went to Halifax a few summers ago and airfare was very pricey (all Canada airfare from my airport is ridiculous).

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Not quite where I thought it was going to be next year but I have no problem visiting a new state so Kansas it is for me in January. Kind of excited to cross off another state in my attempt to visit all 50 of them! :cheer:

peibeck

Simply looking
When I heard that US Nationals are going to be in Wichita, Kansas, getting to such a remote location gives me the same level of buzz as a bus and truck tour stop from Rose Louise and her Hollywood Blondes.

Wichita and its suburbs have a population well over half a million people, so it's not really as remote as people would believe considering it's "flyover country" for coasters. Most exciting city I've ever visited? No, but being home to McConnell Air Force Base, I found some diversions there. :saint:

Pizza Hut and White Castle were both founded in Wichita too... so maybe that's a preview of the arena concessions? :lol:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Too bad it looks like it'd be a hassle to get to Allen from DFW without a car. Wichita in January doesn't sound like a fun place to visit. ….

Hence, I’m grateful for Peacock! 🦚

If I were still traveling widely, to see skating in the most beautiful places, Halifax would be my goal. If it’s just to see skating, regardless of locale, turn on the 🦚.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Not that US Nationals is located for the benefit of people outside the US, but I took a look at the airfares from Western Canada to Wichita :scream: I could probably go hang out with @Aceon6 in Sheffield for cheaper.

No insult to our FSUers in Texas, who are all wonderful people, but I didn't go to SA in Texas last year, and I won't go this year, because of the pro-gun laws and the high gun violence rate in the state.

No insult to our FSUers in Canada, but your assumption that this is only in certain US states is inaccurate. You may need to consider extending your boycott to anything below your border.

As for me, I did a quick check and decided that I wasn’t going to Wichita. I’d rather spend my time going to Boston and I can watch Wichita television or something I hope.

I may consider skate America, but honestly, I tend to find that that it suffers from being so early in the season. You can tell programs and skaters aren’t 100% ready.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
No insult to our FSUers in Canada, but your assumption that this is only in certain US states is inaccurate. You may need to consider extending your boycott to anything below your border.

As for me, I did a quick check and decided that I wasn’t going to Wichita. I’d rather spend my time going to Boston and I can watch Wichita television or something I hope.

I may consider skate America, but honestly, I tend to find that that it suffers from being so early in the season. You can tell programs and skaters aren’t 100% ready.
I don't understand why I'm quoted here :confused: my comment is about the petition for Deanna and Maxime.

Carolla5501

I don't understand why I'm quoted here :confused: my comment is about the petition for Deanna and Maxime.
For reasons I don't understand either... when I tried to respond to this it randomly threw in another quote that I KNOW I had never tried to quote. (I removed the text and will do that for your's too) Not sure what my laptop is doing!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
For reasons I don't understand either... when I tried to respond to this it randomly threw in another quote that I KNOW I had never tried to quote. (I removed the text and will do that for your's too) Not sure what my laptop is doing!
It's ok. I was just puzzled.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
Wichita and its suburbs have a population well over half a million people, so it's not really as remote as people would believe considering it's "flyover country" for coasters. Most exciting city I've ever visited? No, but being home to McConnell Air Force Base, I found some diversions there. :saint:

Pizza Hut and White Castle were both founded in Wichita too... so maybe that's a preview of the arena concessions? :lol:
The problem with Wichita is that it is expensive to fly into (at least it was IME).

Reactions: jkl

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
That may be, but if a city takes eight hours to drive to, I don't consider it part of "my area."
Hey, for anyone in the western US or flyover country as long as it is within a day's driving distance then it's close enough to be in your general "area"!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm sure they were, but reading it from the D.C. area, it came off sounding pretty weird. Something like "We're trying to distribute events around the country, and Boston Worlds is our East Coast event for that season" would have made more sense.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'm sure they were, but reading it from the D.C. area, it came off sounding pretty weird. Something like "We're trying to distribute events around the country, and Boston Worlds is our East Coast event for that season" would have made more sense.
or they should have just let people whine because it is sometimes hard to get people to take these events and they will never make everyone happy

also this is why i'm not allowed to do social media unless they just want memes

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Just trying to catch up now as I have been away for a little bit. Wow, so the Peoria, Illinois and Hoffman Estates, Illinois rumors…. how did those go like wildfire?

Is Allen,Texas where skate America was this year? If so, I love love love it. What a great crowd. Even Loena was saying the crowd was crazy. I am all for that.

sk8pics

Sheesh, if USFS was going to go to Kansas, they should have just gone to FL. I mean, it's January. No direct flights, connecting city for SW is either Denver (which seems a tad inefficient) or St. Louis.
There are nonstop flights from Regan airport to Wichita.

I have a friend who lives in Wichita, who I have not seen in quite awhile. Will have to ponder.

AnnM

Getting to and staying in Wichita would actually be considerably cheaper than my recent skating trips. But due to some current health issues with my uterus, I don't feel comfortable traveling to either KS or TX due to the uncertainty of access to appropriate care should the need arise and fear of false accusations. If I get a hysterectomy this summer I might consider Wichita.

Debbie S

Getting to and staying in Wichita would actually be considerably cheaper than my recent skating trips. But due to some current health issues with my uterus, I don't feel comfortable traveling to either KS or TX due to the uncertainty of access to appropriate care should the need arise and fear of false accusations. If I get a hysterectomy this summer I might consider Wichita.
KS did pass the pro-choice referendum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information