As the Page Turns (the Book Thread)

sk9tingfan

Just finished a three book series called The American Gilt Series by J.D. Peterson which covers th life of Sara Swan Whiting, member of The Four Hundred in New York and Rhode Island during the Gilded Age from the 1880's through the first decade of the 1900's.

- Debut

- Absinthe

- Scandal

This is a fictionalized account of her life from her debut and courtship by Oliver Belmont, fourth child of the Belmonts (think the the Belmont Stakes in The Triple Crown) and ultimate scandals that transpired as well as the documented and fascinating dynamics within society. Also making appearances are Mrs. Astor, Alva and William Vanderbilts/others and the opulence and over-consumption that occured during that period. What fascinated me is that all major events are real and that fact is stranger than fiction. From an editorial perspective, these could have been tightened up, but they are stiil very interesting

Since these were published in 2015, if you are going to purchase the trilogy, I would pick up a used copy. However, if purchased at the triology level, Amazon offers it on a Kindle basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information