As the Page Turns (the Book Thread)

sk9tingfan

Just finished a three book series called The American Gilt Series by J.D. Peterson which covers th life of Sara Swan Whiting, member of The Four Hundred in New York and Rhode Island during the Gilded Age from the 1880's through the first decade of the 1900's.

- Debut

- Absinthe

- Scandal

This is a fictionalized account of her life from her debut and courtship by Oliver Belmont, fourth child of the Belmonts (think the the Belmont Stakes in The Triple Crown) and ultimate scandals that transpired as well as the documented and fascinating dynamics within society. Also making appearances are Mrs. Astor, Alva and William Vanderbilts/others and the opulence and over-consumption that occured during that period. What fascinated me is that all major events are real and that fact is stranger than fiction. From an editorial perspective, these could have been tightened up, but they are stiil very interesting

Since these were published in 2015, if you are going to purchase the trilogy, I would pick up a used copy. However, if purchased at the triology level, Amazon offers it on a Kindle basis.

Finnice

Elizabeth Strout, anyone? She is touring Europe, and I had an honour to meet her here in Finland. I love and admire her books, because she lets so much unsaid and trusts to the reader. Her characters are many-sided and the language (I am not a native English reader) is sharp and beautiful. The Finnish translations are also excellent.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I see that there is a film being made from Andrew McCarthy's autobiography BRAT that I read on @Jenny 's recommendation. The film includes a lot of the other brat packers (preview showed Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Rob Lowe, Demi Moore and even some peripheral pack-adjacents like Timothy Hutton. And Emilio Estevez!) and looks like fun. We see McCarthy calling Judd Nelson...but Anthony Michael Hall isn't mentioned at all. Hmmmmm...

It's going to premiere on Hulu in a couple of weeks.

Desperado

I see that there is a film being made from Andrew McCarthy's autobiography BRAT that I read on @Jenny 's recommendation. The film includes a lot of the other brat packers (preview showed Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Rob Lowe, Demi Moore and even some peripheral pack-adjacents like Timothy Hutton. And Emilio Estevez!) and looks like fun. We see McCarthy calling Judd Nelson...but Anthony Michael Hall isn't mentioned at all. Hmmmmm...

It's going to premiere on Hulu in a couple of weeks.
Interesting. He was my favourite Brat :biggrinbo and I enjoyed his book a lot. Demi’s too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information