Slate | The Once Unthinkable Revolution Coming to Figure Skating

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
A 3-turn or a C-step are the accepted ways to enter this jump and have been for decades. You have no common sense, so on ignore you go.

Yes, and I'm aware of several coaches who pretty much stopped teaching the 3-turn entry some time after figures were eliminated. They felt that most kids who hadn't done figures didn't have a strong enough 3-turn to get a good reliable takeoff for the jump.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I learned my flip both ways, from a mohawk and from a 3-turn. What I find interesting when watching today is that I learned toe loops from a right inside 3-turn, and most people now do a left outside 3-turn and then step onto their right foot before picking.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I learned my flip both ways, from a mohawk and from a 3-turn. What I find interesting when watching today is that I learned toe loops from a right inside 3-turn, and most people now do a left outside 3-turn and then step onto their right foot before picking.
I learned flip (up to double) from a 3-turn only, and my basics were nothing to write home about. I felt it was easier to go around a little bit of a curve into it (a la Eldredge) than a straight line, but I practiced both entries. I also did toe loop from a right inside 3-turn, but my first clean double toes were actually landed on the end of a single Axel. I think I'd have real trouble doing the 'new'(er) technique you speak of, having to shift the body weight and reset as they do.

VGThuy

Is that why some of Michelle Kwan’s triple toe loops were called “Walleys”?

tony

Yes, it was considered a 'different' jump for a while in the history of skating based on the entry edges, and I know Christopher Bowman was sure to point out every single instance of them. I think Dick Button did it every once in a while, too, but Bowman did it every time.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
No, a [toe] walley is technically a different jump. It's like the difference between a flip/lutz: right picking foot with one on inside edge, and other one on outside edge. Toe loop is back outside edge and [toe] walley is back inside edge to left picking foot. The scoring system considers them the same jump (and hardly anyone does Walleys [toe or otherwise]).

Didn't Zayak's program full of 3ts include [toe] Walleys as some of them?

Last edited:

On My Own

To illustrate.

vs

There are indeed 3 turn flips currently, and always have been. And I think it's true most are taught with both, and depends on preference? At least you always see the Japanese women attempting it off a mohawk, while I think most Korean skaters do it with 3 turn.

On My Own

I learned flip (up to double) from a 3-turn only, and my basics were nothing to write home about. I felt it was easier to go around a little bit of a curve into it (a la Eldredge) than a straight line, but I practiced both entries.
Right, because it probably depends on your coach, and also your body type, personal preference, timing, spring, etc, for you to determine what's best for you. And because "technique" doesn't magically mean everything and isn't one-size-fits-all. And no coach in the world is reading from the same "textbook" which doesn't actually exist in the first place.

A strange thing that we really need to mention on a skating forum, apparently. Not aimed at you, but yeah.

gkelly

Yes, it was considered a 'different' jump for a while in the history of skating based on the entry edges, and I know Christopher Bowman was sure to point out every single instance of them. I think Dick Button did it every once in a while, too, but Bowman did it every time.

No, a walley is a different jump. It's like the difference between a flip/lutz: right picking foot with one on inside edge, and other one on outside edge. Toe loop is back outside edge and walley is back inside edge from left picking foot. The scoring system considers them the same jump (and hardly anyone does Walleys).

Didn't Zayak's program full of 3ts include Walleys as some of them?

For all of the above mention of "Walleys," please correct the usage to TOE Walley.

The relation between toe walley and walley is the same as the relation between toe loop and loop. You wouldn't refer to toe loops as "loops" for short, probably not even in the context of discussing the difference between toe loops and toe walleys, so please do not refer to toe walleys as walleys for short.

Walley is an edge jump that takes off the back inside edge. We see single walleys now and then as a connecting move -- it is not a "listed jump" in the IJS scale of values.

Toe walleys, like toe loops, are toe jumps.

Toe walley would generally be done by turning a FO three and then putting the other foot down onto an inside edge rather than an outside edge as for a toe loop from the FO three entry. In either case, the skater would then pick with the now-free foot.

However, most examples we see in competition the skater actually did step onto a back outside edge, so it really was a toe loop after all.

Hence the decision early in the history of the Zayak rule to consider toe walley and toe loop the same jump for purposes of allowed repetitions.

I don't know offhand of a good example of a true triple toe walley.

Here is a clear example of a single toe walley off an obvious inside edge, without a turn preceding.

And here is a video showing half toe walley, single toe walley (with the preceding three turn and change of foot, but shallow/unclear takeoff edge), and single walley, to show the difference between toe walley and walley.

On My Own

And here is a video showing half toe walley, single toe walley (with the preceding three turn and change of foot, but shallow/unclear takeoff edge), and single walley, to show the difference between toe walley and walley.
Always thought walleys look terrible, but also, how did you find it? She calls it "wallie", did it really turn up in the search?

gkelly

Always thought walleys look terrible, but also, how did you find it? She calls it "wallie", did it really turn up in the search?

It's correctly spelled "walley" after the inventor, Nathaniel Walley.

If you search youtube for "walley jump" you can find several videos demonstrating the (single) jump.

When I have more time, maybe in a more relevant thread, I could find some good examples of single walleys in elite programs.

tony

Sylvia

TBD
New thread :):

VGThuy

For all of the above mention of "Walleys," please correct the usage to TOE Walley.

The relation between toe walley and walley is the same as the relation between toe loop and loop. You wouldn't refer to toe loops as "loops" for short, probably not even in the context of discussing the difference between toe loops and toe walleys, so please do not refer to toe walleys as walleys for short.

Walley is an edge jump that takes off the back inside edge. We see single walleys now and then as a connecting move -- it is not a "listed jump" in the IJS scale of values.

Toe walleys, like toe loops, are toe jumps.

Toe walley would generally be done by turning a FO three and then putting the other foot down onto an inside edge rather than an outside edge as for a toe loop from the FO three entry. In either case, the skater would then pick with the now-free foot.

However, most examples we see in competition the skater actually did step onto a back outside edge, so it really was a toe loop after all.

Hence the decision early in the history of the Zayak rule to consider toe walley and toe loop the same jump for purposes of allowed repetitions.

I don't know offhand of a good example of a true triple toe walley.

Here is a clear example of a single toe walley off an obvious inside edge, without a turn preceding.

Sorry; didn’t mean to hit a nerve.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Yes, and I'm aware of several coaches who pretty much stopped teaching the 3-turn entry some time after figures were eliminated. They felt that most kids who hadn't done figures didn't have a strong enough 3-turn to get a good reliable takeoff for the jump.
@overedge I didn't clean up the quote well, I was responding to the other person, not you! You are fine!

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
😒 👎 🤮 😒 👎 🤮 😒 👎 🤮
Dear Lord, noooooo!…especially the lifting part.
Conservatives are allowed to express their opinions. I want skating to thrive, not flop.

tony

😒 👎 🤮 😒 👎 🤮 😒 👎 🤮
Dear Lord, noooooo!…especially the lifting part.
Conservatives are allowed to express their opinions. I want skating to thrive, not flop.
Your ideas of skating thriving, as constantly evidenced by your posts, are by considering what was popular almost a half-century ago and sticking with it. Skating is thriving all over the world and it has a much bigger fan base internationally than ever before. This is not an opinion.

We’ve seen Anissina and Faiella and several other women over the years become the lifting partner, to much acclaim, and there wasn’t an issue. Why make it one now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information