U.S. Men 2023-24 news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Aleksandr Fegan, 13 (born in 2010 so too young for 2024 YOG) will make his debut in the final JGP in Yerevan. He now has the 4th highest NQS total score in the Junior men's standings - 196.34 total and 126.74 in the FS at Middle Atlantics 2 weekends ago (he kept his POTO music from last season - Mids FS Bolero SP video shared by him): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxRoDw0LrkI/
... It [Mids] was a very competitive event (Patrick Blackwell in 5th place landed 3A cleanly in both programs) -- Aleksandr "Sasha" Fegan, who will make his JGP debut at #7 in Armenia, shared this reel video of podium photos (""Proud to have taken home the Silver in a hard fought NQS Middle Atlantics this weekend. Scored my Personal Best of 196.34."): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxCUdcuO056/
Bronze went to "Happy Kirk" Haugeto (189.67) and 4th place to Lucius Kazanecki (181.88), both of whom debuted on the JGP last year.
Sasha's younger brother, Filip, won Juvenile Boys group B at Middle Atlantics, and is pictured with Sasha in the final 2 podium pics of the video.
The funny podium pic of an upside down Kirk -- with his legs being supported by Jacob and Lucius -- also can be seen here (shared by a Japanese fan with Sasha's permission): https://twitter.com/kote1102/status/1700720191343309173

Last edited:

moonvine

Anna spoke with Jimmy Ma at Cranberry Cup International last month - this article was timed to be published before he competes at CS Autumn Classic this week in Pierrefonds, Quebec:
My man!

Sylvia

TBD
19 Senior men have competed in an NQS and/or a non-qualifying comp. (Cranberry Open FS only by Naumov - he is scheduled for CS Nepela). Yet to compete: Brown (has a bye to Nationals), Hiwatashi, Matthew Nielsen and Mitchell Friess have, AFAIK, not competed yet of those who were at 2023 Nationals and have not retired (such as Joonsoo Kim who has started medical school at Johns Hopkins).

moonvine

19 Senior men have competed in an NQS and/or a non-qualifying comp. (Cranberry Open FS only by Naumov - he is scheduled for CS Nepela). Yet to compete: Brown (has a bye to Nationals), Hiwatashi, Matthew Nielsen and Mitchell Friess have, AFAIK, not competed yet of those who were at 2023 Nationals and have not retired (such as Joonsoo Kim who has started medical school at Johns Hopkins).
Thank you. I'm glad Mitchell has not retired. He had such a rough go at Nationals last year after doing fairly well the year before.

Sylvia

TBD
I don't know if Friess plans to compete this season. We'll know by early October in the coming weeks (when entries become known for the final 3 4 NQS comps for singles).

Last edited:

ice coverage

Is Dinh Tran another one who has not competed yet this season, even in non-NQS event?

I know he was a full-time college student when he was competing last season, but AFAIK, he has not made any public announcement of retirement -- or did I miss something?

I will be sad if he is not at Nats again.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Is Dinh Tran another one who has not competed yet this season, even in non-NQS event?

I know he was a full-time college student when he was competing last season, but AFAIK, he has not made any public announcement of retirement -- or did I miss something?

I will be sad if he is not at Nats again.
The other one I'm wondering about is Robert Yampolsky. He could compete either junior or senior, but he hasn't competed at all yet and I'm wondering if we'll see him this season.

ice coverage

Speaking of missing someone at Nats ... now seems like an appropriate time for me to give thanks to (and for) the inspiring Sebastien Payannet ❤️, a lovely performer who was one of my favorites from Nats in previous years -- most recently in 2022.
He had continued to compete even after starting a full-time career some years ago in a field completely unrelated to skating.

I'm in tears again as I re-read his heartfelt retirement post from a few weeks ago, and look through the accompanying photos/videos.

ETA:​
A sample of Sebastien's movement quality from his 2019 Nats FS can be seen at link below.​
(Although the video is low-res, it still "speaks" to me. 👏
And I like that the commentary [from Michael Weiss, I think?] is about Sebastien's passion for the sport.)​

Last edited:

mtnskater

Thanks for posting this about Sebastien!! I have skated with him on the same freestyles during the holidays at my rink in Denver when he comes to visit his parents. I love telling him what a fan I am and what an amazing skater he is. He is always so friendly and gracious. He will be missed at Nationals, but I hope he will still skate when he comes to Denver.

Sylvia

TBD
Thank you for posting about Sebastien Payannet, @ice coverage! I enjoyed watching his skating and expressiveness on the ice. His final Nationals (plus 5 more at the senior level, 2015-2019) was Nashville 2022 where he placed 13th.
He talked about balancing skating, his personal life, and professional career as a lighting designer in a July 2022 podcast episode (available on other platforms) - worth listening to, IMO :):
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be an athlete competing at the international level against Olympic champions? Now imagine living that dream — while ALSO climbing the career ladder as a rising star in the field of lighting design. That sums up a day in the life of Sebastien Payannet, international [Sylvia's note: he never competed internationally] men's figure skating superstar and senior lighting designer at Oculus Light Studio. Join us as Sebastien talks about the similarities and differences between these two major parts of his world, and gives us his take on the mindset and discipline it takes to achieve big dreams.

Last edited:

moonvine

@moonvine I heard back from Mitchell Friess who said he is not planning to compete this season. He is "finishing up a Master's degree right now [and is] still skating and recently started coaching at the Yorba Linda rink in California."
Thanks for letting me know, I guess I can hope to see him skate another season? He's leaving the door open?

I believe you had interviewed him a few years ago and he said that going to school and skating at the same time had made both things worse/harder?

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Anna Kellar's article on Lucas Broussard (she spoke with him at Cranberry Cup last month), published before he makes his ISU Challenger Series debut at Nebelhorn Trophy tomorrow where his goal will be “to showcase the components of my new programs to the best of my ability.”:
Excerpts:
Unusually for an elite skater, Lucas still goes to school full-time in a regular high school, and skates before or after classes. “I just make sure to do all my homework. Really, I just sit there and I tell myself, ‘If I don’t do this homework, the world is going to collapse,’ basically. I really can’t get behind. And thus far, it’s been fine. And I hope in junior year it’ll be okay too. I’ve been doing my SAT stuff over the summer, too. Hopefully, that’ll be done before starting junior spring.”
Lucas shared later that, since school started, he’s found that his junior year, being more academically rigorous, has been challenging. “I find myself feeling a bit overwhelmed. The balance I’ve kept between school, skating, and my health will be challenging to keep up this year, so I’m also aiming to continue skating while maintaining my school life and health.”
Re. his first Champs Camp experience:
However, because it was my first time being in a training environment with the senior Team USA athlete team, I was pretty intimidated. Overall, the experience was very helpful, and one thing I’ve learned is to take everything with a grain of salt.”
He also received feedback on his jump content, and will be scaling back a little for his next competition. “We thought it would be best to remove one quad toe in the long for the time being. Additionally, at Champs Camp, one piece of feedback I received was to just do a double axel in the short and focus on the quad toe, so that’s the plan for now.”
ETA that Absolute Skating's Instagram stories show clips of Broussard landing 4T+2T 3 times in practices on Wednesday in Oberstdorf. He drew first to skate in the SP.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Excerpt from informative new article on Ilia Malinin by @clairecloutier, reporting from Autumn Classic in Montreal:

"... Malinin is now taking college classes at George Mason University in Virginia. This semester, he has an online math class and an on-campus dance class.​

“It’s thirty minutes away from my house, so it’s pretty convenient for me,” Malinin said. “I go to school in the morning. The class I’m taking is a modern and contemporary dance class. So it’s also helping me with skating, learning how to improvise a lot better, and with flexibility, balance, and coordination.” "​

Quick comment on NQS:
... Jordan Moeller ❤️ is competing at this week's Minnesota L'Etoile du Nord Challenge. 👏

For his second NQS this season, Jordan Moeller is listed in starting order for this week's Broadmoor Fall Classic.
Other entries in Senior Men: Joe Klein ♥️; Kai Kovar; Ian Kang.
Entries in Junior Men: Patrick Blackwell; Zachary LoPinto; Nicholas Brooks; Jon Maravilla (also entered in Junior Pairs).

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
US MEN Top 5 ISU SB International Scores as of 9/23/23

Ilia Malinin 281 Autumn Classic
Andrew Torgashev 233 Lombardia
Lucas Broussard 216 Nebelhorn
Beck Strommer 210 JGP Austria
Camden Pulkinen 210 Lombardia

Still to compete on JR/JGP- Aleksandr Fegan
Still to compete Senior (for ISU SB)- Maxim Naumov, Tomoki Hiwatashi, Liam Kapeikis

Last edited:

ice coverage

US MEN Top 5 International Scores as of 9/23/23

Ilia Malinin 281 Autumn Classic
Andrew Torgashev 233 Lombardia
Lucas Broussard 216 Nebelhorn
Beck Strommer 210 JGP Austria
Camden Pulkinen 210 Lombardia

Still to compete on JR/JGP- Aleksandr Fegan
Still to compete Senior (for ISU SB)- Maxim Naumov, Tomoki Hiwatashi, Liam Kapeikis

It would be more helpful if you labeled your list correctly as Top 5 ISU SBs.

As discussed in other threads, it is inaccurate to label your lists as "Top 5 International Scores."
Jimmy Ma scored 222.49 at Cranberry Cup international.

Sylvia

TBD
Top 5 U.S. men's total scores at Cranberry Cup International in August 2023 (will add NQS top Senior scores later):

3 Jimmy MA USA 222.49 1 3
6 Liam KAPEIKIS USA 193.39 3 9
7 Daniil MURZIN USA 188.40 12 6
8 Maxim ZHARKOV USA 187.01 10 7
9 Will ANNIS USA 186.95 4 13

ETA current top 8 Senior Men NQS total scores:

Kai Kovar 222.97
Yaroslav Paniot 218.87
Maxim Zharkov, 213.91
Goku Endo 213.63
Joseph Klein 212.22
Emmanuel Savary 207.09
Liam Kapeikis 201.46
Eric Sjoberg 196.25

ETA #2 - Good job by Lucas Broussard who improved from 174.31/14th place in his senior international debut at Cranberry Cup last month to 216.10 and 4th place in his CS debut at Nebelhorn Trophy! :) He performed in the Gala today and skated very well to his Tango SP from last season - the audience gave him a nice round of applause afterwards.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Tomoki has been assigned to Budapest Trophy, so one has to assume he'll show up at one of the last NQS competitions in a couple weeks.

FWIW: I just reminded myself that assuming Tomoki really completes the competition at Budapest Trophy (does not withdraw), he will earn a bye to Sectionals.
So it would be safer for him to compete at an NQS, but if for some reason he does not, things still could work out for him to advance to Sectionals and then to Nats.
(I know that regardless of advancement, an NQS also would be a good opportunity to start getting mileage and judging on his programs. Especially since he was not at Champs Camp this year.)

jlai

Question everything
which sectional would that be? It may not be a very deep field there.

Tomoki has been assigned to Budapest Trophy, so one has to assume he'll show up at one of the last NQS competitions in a couple weeks.
Is that a prerequisite for international assignments?

ice coverage

which sectional would that be? It may not be a very deep field there. ...

Assuming Tomoki's long-standing membership in DuPage FSC still is in effect, he would compete at Midwestern Sectionals.

Senior men at last season's Midwesterns included: Daniel Martynov, Matthew Nielsen (who has not competed yet in this season's NQS*), Joe Klein, Maxim Zharkov, Nathan Chapple.
Plus Jordan Moeller has competed in this season's NQS.

ETA:​
*But it's still possible that Nielsen will show up at one of the final NQS events of the year, such as L.A. Autumn Classic.​

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Isabeau Levito and Lucas Broussard are co-listing each other as coaches on their ISU profiles! Really cute! I sense extreme like...

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Isabeau Levito and Lucas Broussard are co-listing each other as coaches on their ISU profiles! Really cute! I sense extreme like...

No, they aren't. Someone's having fun with PaintShop Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information