2024 US Nats Mens SP - Malinaguena

Carolla5501

in case anyone is interested let's look at the ranking of skating skills according to the judges:

Ilia Malinin 9.21
Jason Brown 9.11
Camden Pulkinen 8.39
Maxim Naumov 8.25
Andrew Torgashev 8.18

I hope you all had a fab laugh at that

Putting Camden skating skills in third is a little shocking. I felt like he was the weakest of that group in terms of the actual skating skills.

peibeck

Simply looking
Well, Ilia was sensational, as usual. In a class by himself and all that. He truly is wonderful ... BUT ..... I think, by the end of the week, I'm going to be "Ilia-ed out." SO much off-ice camera coverage .... SO much gushing by the commenators ... just SO much Ilia .... I think I might be feeling a bit of Ilia-overload.

BUT ... WOW ... he's a great skater and seems like a pretty decent kid.

Same "treatment" they gave Nathan Chen. And if Isabeau pulls off a second title, and then a World medal? :scream:

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
in case anyone is interested let's look at the ranking of skating skills according to the judges:

Ilia Malinin 9.21
Jason Brown 9.11
Camden Pulkinen 8.39
Maxim Naumov 8.25
Andrew Torgashev 8.18

Ilia getting 10.00s is wild. The GOE on the combo was ludicrous as well. It’s sad, because he’s clearly improving and putting in some work, but judging is on absolutely hyper speed to convince us he’s unbeatable.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Ilia getting 10.00s is wild. The GOE on the combo was ludicrous as well. It’s sad, because he’s clearly improving and putting in some work, but judging is on absolutely hyper speed to convince us he’s unbeatable.
Didn’t watch yet but I called this last night. And now somewhere, someone will assume that he’s really improved to that level because the trained judges said so.

BittyBug

Disgusted

Ilia Malinin 9.21
Jason Brown 9.11
Camden Pulkinen 8.39
Maxim Naumov 8.25
Andrew Torgashev 8.18

That is a crime. I would have:

Torgy
Brown
Pulkinen
Malinin / Naumov

@Carolla5501 Pulkinen is a little like Alexander Abt - gets huge ice coverage with very little effort and gets into the ice and his knees more than most.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
:rofl: I can't believe people are still all up in the air about Maria B's comments. I think everybody knows where Malinin was born. Including him and his parents.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I couldn’t see the K&C last night. Now that I’m seeing it I am laughing along with all the rest of you.

I feel like A&A were given talking points on Ilia and phrases to use: “his skating skills have improved so much” “he is such a charismatic performer” “phenomenal jumps” “world champion material”

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I couldn’t see the K&C last night. Now that I’m seeing it I am laughing along with all the rest of you.

I feel like A&A were given talking points on Ilia and phrases to use: “his skating skills have improved so much” “he is such a charismatic performer” “phenomenal jumps” “world champion material”

I don't think AA are the biggest Ilia fans--they seem to be more the Jason Brown type fans. They did their talking points and moved on. It's actually kind of nice, if we have to have commentary, you can choose your poison...and I do mean poison. I mean, it's like when your choices for National Champion were Tim Goebbel and Todd Eldredge, to bring back the 90s/early 00s. YIKES.

Jason and Tomoki should be virtually tied.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Camden is 23 and has been to worlds once. Torgy is 22 and has been to worlds once. Why would Camden need the experience more than Torgy?
No I already ASSUMED Torgy is #2 and going and only the third spot is up for grabs! :D

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
No I already ASSUMED Torgy is #2 and going and only the third spot is up for grabs! :D
I don't think there is a clear #2 or 3 for Worlds yet based on how these guys skated this afternoon.

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Malinin’s score and especially PCS were ridiculously inflated, but he was a clear first.

Jason Brown OTOH should be no better than fifth after a fall on his underrotated triple axel. Did he deserve higher PCS than Malinin? Sure but I’m not going to complain that the judges didn’t prop him up even more than they already did :blah:. His program also, to me, didn’t have some of the complexity and star quality that some of his previous programs had. Torgashev and Pulkinen were robbed!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
In what universe are Jason Brown's and Ilia Malinin's PCS the same? (Apologies if this issue has already been voiced. It probably has. But it can't be said enough. Ridiculous.)
Ilia’s flamenco moved me more.

By the way, is Jason repeating last year’s Impossible Dream free skate, as per his bio? Weren’t we supposed to get Tarzan instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information