2024 US Nats Pairs FS - Chaos in Columbus

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Lmao. If ChanHowe are healthy... 2 Italians, 2 Canadians, MiuKih and maybe 1 German team beat them. They'll probably be good for 7th at the worst, maybe higher. But we certainly won't have another team in the Top 10 with the 2 Germans, the Georgians, Hungarians, PengWang and GoluGM there as well. We're definitely dropping a pairs spot for Boston. And I'll be delighted when those two teams representing thr US are the two SCoB teams of ChanHowe and EfiMit.

:huh: You don’t need two teams in the top 10 to keep 2 spots. If one team makes the top 10, the other doesn’t even need to make the LP.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I am rather in a daze. what did we just watch?
Was this the event that my mom & I used to watch live in the late 1970s/early 1980s, won by people like Tai & Randy and The Carrutherses? Jill Watson & her two partners? Wachsman/Waggoner?

Can Rod Ludington’s spirit return? John Nicks, come out of retirement! He’s a strong 94!

BaileyCatts

Okay, so we just have the men's final to watch and we all know who is going to win that title. But, I really DO want to see Jason's (possibly) last US Nats performance and my son (from Ontario ... I'm in Nova Scotia) is very likely to make his weekly call to us during that time period. Would I be a TERRIBLE parent if I just turned my phone off so he'd leave a voicemail and then I'd call him back in an hour? Oh ... my consience .... :confused:
Nope. Turn dat phone off girl!!!!! :p

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
You don’t need two teams in the top 10 to keep 2 spots. If one team makes the top 10, the other doesn’t even need to make the LP.
I know. I was refuting the notion that ChanHowe will be lucky to finish 9th. They're better than HocKun and the 3rd Canadian team by a long shot, so I think they'll be no lower than 7th, possibly higher.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Lmao. If ChanHowe are healthy... 2 Italians, 2 Canadians, MiuKih and maybe 1 German team beat them. They'll probably be good for 7th at the worst, maybe higher. But we certainly won't have another team in the Top 10 with the 2 Germans, the Georgians, Hungarians, PengWang and GoluGM there as well. We're definitely dropping a pairs spot for Boston. And I'll be delighted when those two teams representing thr US are the two SCoB teams of ChanHowe and EfiMit.
And China. We’ll be hoping for top 15.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I know. I was refuting the notion that ChanHowe will be lucky to finish 9th. They're better than HocKun and the 3rd Canadian team by a long shot, so I think they'll be no lower than 7th, possibly higher.

You said “we’re definitely dropping a pairs spot for Boston.”

ETA: issue solved below. I repressed that the US has to send THREE pairs to worlds.

Last edited:

Jammers

I mean, it's Nationals. That happens more often than it doesn't. And this is the only discipline that I have real issues with. K/O should have been below P/F.

I was OK with ChoBates winning overall, I just think they should have been 3rd in the FD.

And honestly, pairs wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. We've watched some of these pairs where they were waaaay more wobbly. This event was messy, but it wasn't scary.
I disagree in the past decade most US champions skated well when they won and the quality was way better the what we've seen this week. This week we've seen just horrible performances from across the board that we haven't seen from US Nationals champions and former champions in a long time.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Free Skate & Final Results - https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2024/33688/SEGM015.html

110Ellie Kam, Thunderbirds FSC
Danny OShea, SC of New York
27Alisa Efimova, SC of Boston
Misha Mitrofanov, SC of Boston
38Valentina Plazas, Panthers FSC
Maximiliano Fernandez, SC of New York
46Chelsea Liu, SC of New York
Balazs Nagy, SC of New York
59Katie McBeath, Winterhurst FSC
Daniil Parkman, SC of New York
65Isabelle Martins, Chicago FSC
Ryan Bedard, Northern Ice SC
74Nica Digerness, Broadmoor SC
Mark Sadusky, St. Moritz ISC
83Ellie Korytek, SC of New York
Timmy Chapman, SC of New York
92Maria Mokhova, Greater Grand Rapids FSC
Ivan Mokhov, Greater Grand Rapids FSC
101Linzy Fitzpatrick, SC of New York
Keyton Bearinger, SC of New York
WD Emily Chan, SC of Boston
Spencer Howe, SC of Boston
WD Megan Wessenberg, SC of Boston
Edoardo Caputo, Individual Member

kalamalka

Okay, so we just have the men's final to watch and we all know who is going to win that title. But, I really DO want to see Jason's (possibly) last US Nats performance and my son (from Ontario ... I'm in Nova Scotia) is very likely to make his weekly call to us during that time period. Would I be a TERRIBLE parent if I just turned my phone off so he'd leave a voicemail and then I'd call him back in an hour? Oh ... my consience .... :confused:
Just tell your son in advance that you're really looking forward to talking to him, but NOT while the event is on (or turn your phone off). He should know by now that live skating matters.

skatfan

Was feeling down about our pairs. The thing is, as many have noted, the judges just sent completely the wrong signal. Sending a pair out without a decent triple throw as our national champions? We will get what we deserve.

Here’s to hoping that the SoCal pairs keep improving, that Delilah goes back under a rock after the safe sport report comes out, and Chan and Howe can come back fully!

Last edited:

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
Somewhere Scott and Dulebohn are smiling that their 2003 title is no longer the worst in history :lol:.

We all knew that this was going to be bad, but my god :yikes:. Leave the title or maybe the entire podium vacant.

I also think it's time for some "systemic failure" deductions in pairs, e.g., -5.00 deduction for not completing either throw jump cleanly and an additional -5.00 for not completing either side-by-side jumping pass cleanly. Honestly it would be better to see doubles than all of these mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information