ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
My personal experience with the IOC members decades ago was that they were an entitled (literally, in several cases), snobby, and out-of-touch group who actively disdained "the little people." Sharing an office building with them during the LA Olympics was very unpleasant. It included a requirement that we step out of the elevator - even if it wasn't on the correct floor - if an IOC member stepped in. They ignored us, though that might have been cultural.

They also smoked. In LA. In buildings. I was glad when we were all released to go away during the Olympics.

On the good side - the clothes and shoes were pretty fab, the cars (with drivers) were always sparkling, and they left the building better than they found it, with fresh paint, new carpet in carpeted areas, and snazzified bathrooms on one floor.
My dad worked broadcasting those games and I showed him your post. He agrees and says they’ve probably never changed and never will. “A bunch of crooks.”

peibeck

Simply looking
Apparently Peacock checked Plazas/Fernandez? Based on their looks in the k-n-c maybe a mercy chack?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And even for a normal Gala, they can invite non-eligible athletes. But normally this means retired skaters and pros not banned athletes.

Sylvia

TBD
On Friday, September 15, 2023:

Sept .13:
Oct. 23:
Machine translation:
Figure skater Margarita Drobyazko said that she filed a complaint against the decree of Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda to deprive her of citizenship.
Earlier, the President of Lithuania signed a decree depriving Drobyazko of Lithuanian citizenship, which she received as an exception in 1993. She and Povilas Vanagas were also excluded from the list of holders of the Order of Gediminas, V degree, for participating in Tatiana Navka’s show “Swan Lake” in Sochi.
"“I know that I am supported by the majority of Lithuanians, who over the thirty years that I have been a citizen of Lithuania have become people as close to me as those living in my historical homeland - in Russia, who also support Povilas and me in today’s situation. Today I am happy to announce that I have found the strength to fight for what I consider right and important. I filed a complaint against the decree of the President of the Republic of Lithuania to deprive me of Lithuanian citizenship, and my complaint was accepted by the Vilnius District Administrative Court. The court ordered the President of the Republic of Lithuania and his office to comply with the deadline no later than October 30, 2023, provide materials confirming the charges brought against me. Then, within the framework of the current legislation, the case will be considered by the court," Drobyazko wrote on Instagram (the activities of Meta (social networks Facebook and Instagram) are prohibited in Russia as extremist).
“I believe in justice and fairness, which I consider my duty to defend not only for myself, but also for those citizens of Lithuania who, like me, can become victims of unworthy political games,” the skater noted.

airgelaal

"“I know that I am supported by the majority of Lithuanians, who over the thirty years that I have been a citizen of Lithuania have become people as close to me as those living in my historical homeland - in Russia, who also support Povilas and me in today’s situation. Today I am happy to announce that I have found the strength to fight for what I consider right and important. I filed a complaint against the decree of the President of the Republic of Lithuania to deprive me of Lithuanian citizenship, and my complaint was accepted by the Vilnius District Administrative Court. The court ordered the President of the Republic of Lithuania and his office to comply with the deadline no later than October 30, 2023, provide materials confirming the charges brought against me. Then, within the framework of the current legislation, the case will be considered by the court," Drobyazko wrote on Instagram
“I believe in justice and fairness, which I consider my duty to defend not only for myself, but also for those citizens of Lithuania who, like me, can become victims of unworthy political games,” the skater noted.
Judging by the comments in Lithuanian, this is not true :shuffle:

caseyedwards

Judging by the comments in Lithuanian, this is not true :shuffle:
Her shows were always hugely popular events. She spent all her holidays there and probably much more

airgelaal

Dmytro Sharpar, a former Ukrainian figure skater from Kharkiv, died near Bakhmut.
At Youth Olympics-2016 he was part of the Ukrainian team along with Ivan Shmuratko and Maria Holubtsova / Kyrylo Byelobrov. Meanwhile, Russian skaters continue to pretend that nothing is happening.

russia yesterday destroyed the house where Dmitro's parents lived. Exactly a year after they killed their son.

While russian figure skaters are happy to spend bloody budget money, Ukrainian figure skaters are collecting money to help the victims.

airgelaal

An article about Ukrainian participants in the Youth Olympic Games was published in Korea. A few quotes :(

Sophia lost someone who was like a family member due to the war. Her godmother was struck by bullets from Russian soldiers guarding her path while evacuating in a car. I participated in the Olympics while countless neighbors and family members were dying in my home country. For the Ukrainian athletes, this competition has a meaning beyond the Olympics where they compete for medals.
For Vadim, who had to watch his friends leaving for the front lines, the Olympic stage was a battlefield given to him. “Many of my friends have already left for the war,” Vadim said. “The task given to me is to participate in the Olympics and fight on behalf of my country, and I think this is helping the Ukrainian people mentally,” he emphasized several times.

Bigbird

They were not forced. They just live in an alternate universe having different values. If the fiasco with Valieva hasn't taught us that, nothing will. They will do anything for the result. The regime is harsh, very, like their winters. I'm beginning to sense that Valieva knew exactly what she was doing, not on her own of course, but she will never, tell the truth. Never.

caseyedwards

“Invited” is a threat. Putin has as prisoner an athlete to have children by.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, Russia has angered the IOC again by voting against the 2024 Olympic Truce in the UN General Assembly and their plans to organize their own "Friendship Games" as well as how they are approaching other countries' governments about participating through their embassies rather than their sports federations.

My thoughts - Golly, gosh, gee, IOC - Russia is politicizing sport and you're only just now realizing that all your overtures in the past year were foolish? Nice words there. Let's see some teeth behind it and stop this nonsense of allowing any Russian athletes to participate in international competitions under the guise of "neutral".

Sylvia

TBD
I’ve posted an Associated Press article by Graham Dunbar on this topic in the Other Sports forum along with this:
Comment on this article by AP’s Stephen Wade: https://x.com/stephenwadeap/status/1770070706300342630
“Be clear. This is financial threat to IOC’s billions. IOC is not worried about so-called politicization of sports. It’s a billion-dollar business protecting its bottom line and monopoly. IOC not a charity. Not the Sports League of Nations. It’s a business with a corrupt history.“

Karen-W

I’ve posted an Associated Press article by Graham Dunbar on this topic in the Other Sports forum along with this:
Yes, that was one of my other takeaways reading between the lines of their press release. They are pissed that Russia might succeed in diluting the Olympic brand. Putin ain't as good of a friend as Bach wanted him to be, lol.

Karen-W

I will bet anyone $5 that there will be no Russian skaters next season ('24-'25) in international competition. Meaning if they do participate in the Olys at all, one skater/team per discipline is the best they can do.
Today's IOC press release would lead me in that direction too but I also don't quite trust the ISU to not unveil some plan to let some Russian skaters back in next season.

airgelaal

It's so funny. russia has never hidden its attitude towards the whole world. But for many years the world found an excuse for them. They don’t really think like that, these are just the thoughts of a few people, they change, they won’t do this anymore, they are afraid, they are hostages.
But it turned out that everything was always as it seemed. What a surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information