Chantastic....the return of Patrick

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Patrick skating on the roof of a camper van :eek: for an ad. So weird, and random.

cheremary

Patrick has announced that this year's Stars on Ice tour will be his last, and that he and his wife are expecting another boy this summer. I'm so glad to have seen him skate in the gala at Montreal Worlds and hope that he will continue to do occasional skating appearances if not a full tour.

tylersf

Patrick has announced that this year's Stars on Ice tour will be his last, and that he and his wife are expecting another boy this summer. I'm so glad to have seen him skate in the gala at Montreal Worlds and hope that he will continue to do occasional skating appearances if not a full tour.

Congratulations on his achievements and progeny!

Sylvia

TBD
I was able to read the entire article by Simon Houpt (April 26, 2024) on my phone by clicking on the link in this post: https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1783985430163296302

Excerpts:
Then [after the SOI tour ends on May 16], Chan, 33, will go home to Vancouver, where he lives with his wife, skater Elizabeth Putnam, whom he married in 2020, and their 2 1/2-year-old son, Oliver – they’re expecting another child later this year – and clock in for work in his first year as a wealth-planning intern at a local wealth-management firm. Already, one post-skating career for which he had high hopes, as a commercial realtor, didn’t pan out. It has all, he admits, been quite an adjustment.
What do you consider your lowest depths of misery?
The first six months after my son was born, we were kind of coming out of the pandemic, I had started a new career in commercial real estate, and that combination of walking through uncharted territory in two different worlds, I felt like I had no control, I had no experience. I just felt so unprepared for all of it. I would rush off to work and then come back really upset or frustrated with whatever was going on there. I had zero patience by the time I got home and treated my wife and my son really unfairly. I wasn’t necessarily present or patient. That was a really dark time. We went to couples therapy and I went to a therapist for myself, personally. Just trying to figure out, how do I grow from this?
How did being a father change you?
My parents were immigrant parents and went through a lot of struggles as young adolescents, and I’m not blaming them, but I want to be a better version of them. And that took a lot of work – it’s still ongoing. Whether it’s as simple as – I hate to admit it, but just, like, being extremely frustrated, or yelling, being really impatient, all these things that I thought I had a good handle on – I didn’t really. It wasn’t a real test until I had a child. So, thank goodness for my wife, who is five years wiser than I am, and a perfect counterbalance to my personality. I’ve had to really put my ego aside and admit that I approach things maybe not the best way. So that’s taken a lot of vulnerability. Just to be like: Yeah, I was wrong and I messed up and I’m sorry.
Becoming a father is my greatest achievement. Getting to this place where I can comfortably say this is the end of one chapter and I’m prioritizing the next. I’m riddled with fear and uncertainty, but I know that this is what I want, and I can’t wait to see how this develops and grows.
Do you have a greatest regret?
I have a few regrets. They’re all quite great. Not going to university as a young boy, to push myself to balance skating and school at the same time. The other thing would be a couple of coaching choices in my career I think could have pushed me further, and I think I could have been more successful near the end of my career. But now we’re just being nitpicky.

Last edited:

Firedancer

I would love to hear him expand on the question about regrets, specifically, the coaching choices and how he could have been more successful near the end of his career. I definitely agree he could have been. I wish Patrick the best going forward. I am happy I got see him skate one last time in Montreal.

skateboy

I was able to read the entire article by Simon Houpt (April 26, 2024) on my phone by clicking on the link in this post: https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1783985430163296302

Excerpts:
I have often thought about Patrick, and the 2014 Olympics. Does anyone else remember the expectations of him winning the gold medal? If you go back and read archives here on FSU, there were actual threads titled: "Who will win silver and gold?" EVERYONE thought that Patrick would be the undisputed gold medalist.

Must have been incredible pressure. And, at the end of the day, Hanyu won with a VERY flawed long program... even he thought he had blown it. Then Patrick (who was a far better skater at the time) made even more mistakes and ended up with silver. Patrick took it all with a smile, but it had to have been a devastating loss. I haven't heard him talk much about it.

Kudos to him for this interview. I wish him the best.

Sylvia

TBD
“Send In the Clowns”: Patrick Chan Farewell by Beverley Smith (April 28):

cheremary

Patrick is the featured episode of the "Don't Change Much" podcast:
I found the interview really thoughtful and honest. I hope the best for him and his family.

I completely agree. I recently listened to the podcast that @Sylvia posted above, and thought that interview and these two articles from the Globe and Mail and Beverley Smith really show the work that Patrick has put in in reflecting on his life and a level of self awareness that will serve him in good stead going forward.

It's not easy to change careers, particularly if you don't have the educational background in the new profession, and coupled with being a new parent is a lot of change all at once. As he said, he could've easily had many opportunities in skating, and it takes courage to want to develop new skills in new areas of life, and that's incredibly commendable.

I'll certainly miss him on the ice but hope that he'll want to put on that comfortable pair of old shoes again at some point. I do wish his final tour had been announced earlier (though it sounds like he didn't even know himself until recently) so that more people would be able to see him live, and can only hope there will be good quality videos posted from CSOI, particularly as the theme sounds quite interesting this year! And if Elvis Stojko is any indication, he can always come back to skating when the kids are older.

Japanfan

I have often thought about Patrick, and the 2014 Olympics. Does anyone else remember the expectations of him winning the gold medal? If you go back and read archives here on FSU, there were actual threads titled: "Who will win silver and gold?" EVERYONE thought that Patrick would be the undisputed gold medalist.

Patrick took it all with a smile, but it had to have been a devastating loss. I haven't heard him talk much about it.
I didn't think he was going to win because he was so defensive in interviews in the lead-up to the games. So unlike Yags who years before had said that winning Olympic Gold was his destiny - and skated all season like it was.

I don't know that Patrick was devastated by the loss. I think he was just glad to have it all over with.

He was a great skater, but not a great competitor.

Sylvia

TBD
"This Week in Skating" podcast episode (May 5, 2024):
In this episode, Daphne and Gina talk with three-time World champion, three-time Olympic medalist and 10-time Canadian Champion Patrick Chan. Patrick announced in April that the 2024 Stars on Ice Canadian tour will be his last tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information