2020 Worlds - What would have happened?

olympic

As some may know, I lurve my FS speculation threads -

How do you think 2020 Worlds would have went down if YKW (1) didn't occur or (2) countries closed down a couple of weeks later in March:

IMO -

Men: I think this is the last worlds where Nathan and Yuzu would have legitimately dueled for the gold; Yuzu posted around 322 points at SC in 2019 and Nathan set the WR at the GPF, but Nathan likely would have won. Bronze would have also been a battle: Jason was having his best ever season even quadless, and Dmitri Aliev was Euro Champ. Both scored evenly at their latest events, but thinking Aliev likely would have grabbed bronze as a RUS man with a quad and good artistry. Yuma was new on the scene and would have likely been in the final group but not a medalist yet. Boyang Jin was starting to fade around this time but had a CoC win and was 4th at 2018 Olympics.

Conspicuously absent were Shoma who was MIA that season (the wiki entry stated that he changed coaches that year?), and Kolyada did not go to Euros. 2019 World Bronze medalist, Vincent Zhou was having a mediocre season and finished 4th at Nationals that year, and I don't think he would've mattered.

Women: Pretty solid predictions going in - Thinking that a RUS sweep would have happened, led by the most-watchable Eteri skater, Aljona Kostornaya, then Anna Shcherbakova and Alexandra Trusova. All were a good amount of points ahead of Rika Kihira, whom I don't think was yet struggling with injuries but was a solid 4th. Bradie Tennell was having the season of her career and could have been fighting for 5th with Young You, another skater taking the sport by storm that year. Wasn't this the season that Bradie used the red dress for that divine SP? Mariah Bell was also really sharp this season (Britney Spears SP?) and may have helped Bradie secure 3 spots for the US in 2021. JPN ladies Kaori Sakamoto and Wakaba Higuchi did not skate very well at 4CCs, and Satoko was kind of fading.

Pairs: Likely RUS win - Boikova / Kozlovski were having their best season, but there was a fight amongst those who would also be players in Beijing 2022: Sui / Han, Tarasova / Morozov, and Mishina / Galliamov. T/M were still screwing up on the big stage and wouldn't really nail an LP until Beijing, and M / G were not yet as good as we would see them by 2022. Moore-Towers / Marinaro were a lot more competitive at that time and may have pulled out an extra special something in front of a CAN crowd. Peng / Zhang also mattered (the CHN much more in play a few years ago), but maybe behind CAN by the time Worlds occurred.

Cain / LeDuc would still have likely been a top 10 team, and I think this was the year that Chris Knierim quit skating right after 4CCs. But, Calalang / Johnson had the LP of their life at Nationals and may gone to Worlds and also finished in the top 10

Ice Dance: Papadakis / Cizeron would likely have still won skating in Montreal, a sort of home crowd for them, but I think this was the year that unfortunately, SinKats crept up on them at Euros (?) which was a travesty. Chock / Bates or Hubbell / Donohue were candidates for Bronze, but was this also the year where Hubbell / Donohue were sliding backwards in the ranking a bit, perhaps allowing Gilles / Poirer, winners at SC, to sneak in for Bronze in front of a home crowd. It may have broken the streak of US medals in the discipline.

Any takers?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Ice Dance: Papadakis / Cizeron would likely have still won skating in Montreal, a sort of home crowd for them, but I think this was the year that unfortunately, SinKats crept up on them at Euros (?) which was a travesty. Chock / Bates or Hubbell / Donohue were candidates for Bronze, but was this also the year where Hubbell / Donohue were sliding backwards in the ranking a bit, perhaps allowing Gilles / Poirer, winners at SC, to sneak in for Bronze in front of a home crowd. It may have broken the streak of US medals in the discipline.

Any takers?
This was the season ChoBat had their marvelous snake charmer FD that won them Nats and 4CCs. They beat GilPoir by 3 points at 4CCs and, as noted, HubDon were on a bit of a backward slide that season so I expect that bronze would have been theirs for the taking.

olympic

This was the season ChoBat had their marvelous snake charmer FD that won them Nats and 4CCs. They beat GilPoir by 3 points at 4CCs and, as noted, HubDon were on a bit of a backward slide that season so I expect that bronze would have been theirs for the taking.
Wow. How could I forget the snake charmer LP? Their best ever! Yeah, in that light, I could see a bronze for C/B but I remember TSL talking a lot at the time about the CAN team competing well in their home country for Worlds. I also just remember TPTB being down on H/D that season ...

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I always thought Kosternaia was most robbed by the cancellation, she was the clear favorite that year and never again would be. All the other contenders had good chances to win a year or two later and most took them. B/K did get overtaken by M/G so I guess they also feel robbed.

sheetz

Conspicuously absent were Shoma who was MIA that season (the wiki entry stated that he changed coaches that year?),
Shoma Uno was not MIA that season. Early on he split with his longtime coach and struggled on the GP, but then later joined Lambiel and came back to win JP Nationals, defeating Hanyu. He most certainly would have figured in the medals.

Evgeniafan

Shoma Uno was not MIA that season. Early on he split with his longtime coach and struggled on the GP, but then later joined Lambiel and came back to win JP Nationals, defeating Hanyu. He most certainly would have figured in the medals.
And Kevin Aymoz was 3rd at GPF 2019, terrible short at Europeans but still could have been 3-6

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Jason was actually landing a 4T that year (had it called clean in a B comp and << at US Nats but stayed upright) and his Schindler's List was at its full power. He had all the momentum of a bullet train at top speed. I fully believe that had Worlds gone ahead, Jason would have taken the bronze.

zigzig

Would have been a once in a generation competition with one coach sweeping the ladies event.

So bummed I didnā€™t get to see Kosto's Leftovers program and Scherb's dress change live. And all the quads and triple axels from this camp.

If only Worlds was scheduled to start a few days earlier šŸ˜­

olympic

I did not see him at 4CCs (wonder why), but if he beat Yuzu ... then, he may have definitely been a medalist.

olympic

Jason was actually landing a 4T that year (had it called clean in a B comp and << at US Nats but stayed upright) and his Schindler's List was at its full power. He had all the momentum of a bullet train at top speed. I fully believe that had Worlds gone ahead, Jason would have taken the bronze.
As nice as it would be to see Jason w/ a world medal, I don't think he would've beaten Aliev, who had good artistry and on good days was more likely to land a quad, and as someone said, Shoma was indeed to be there (I assume he was named to Team JPN), Jason was not unfortunately going to get a medal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information