2022-23 ISU Grand Prix Assignments are published

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Matte/Ferland are no longer listed on the MKJW entries (grid isn't updated) - https://results.isu.org/events/gpgbr2022_Pairs.htm

Since we're within the two week window, they don't have to be replaced, though there are some options, should BIS decide to issue an invitation. My guess would be Osipova/Epstein (if she can get a visa), but the Crafoords and Piegad/Strekalin are other potential options. Also, interestingly, the US Pairs Final doesn't include Wessenberg/Eisenach on the start list and they train with both of the US teams assigned to MKJW, so it's not out of the realm of possibility they're heading to Sheffield instead.

Pairs - 1 spot open @MKJW
Crafoord/Crafoord SWE 130.62 (63) (SkAm)
Osipova/Epstein NED 146.06 (69) (none)
Yunoki/Ichihashi JPN 140.46 (none)
Piegad/Strekalin FRA 138.36 (GPdF)
Wessenberg/Eisenach 138.22 USA (none)

Karen-W

Matte/Ferland are no longer listed on the MKJW entries (grid isn't updated) - https://results.isu.org/events/gpgbr2022_Pairs.htm

Pairs - 1 spot open @MKJW
Piegad/Strekalin FRA 144.71 (GPdF)
Wessenberg/Eisenach 138.22 USA (none)
The grid has now been updated to show Matte/Ferland crossed out, but the space isn't blank, which is what happened with GPdF when PengJin withdrew within the two week window and the FFSG opted to not replace them, so I'm hoping we might see a replacement team still even though it's only three days away.

I'm also crossing Wessenberg/Eisenach off the alternates list because they are not listed as competing in the US Pairs Final nor do they have a bye to Nationals, so I suspect there must be either an injury issue or a split.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
It’s not Wednesday in the UK would Bradie already be at the venue practicing if she is going to compete? Has there been any reports yet?

Karen-W

It’s not Wednesday in the UK would Bradie already be at the venue practicing if she is going to compete? Has there been any reports yet?
Official practices don't begin until tomorrow. Today would be her travel day from Nice to Sheffield. It's dead of night in Europe right now though, so I wouldn't expect any sightings yet. FWIW, the USFS included her in their brief little GP preview clip earlier today. I think it's all but certain she'll be competing.

Karen-W

The pairs grid was updated again - https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...-3/entries-7/29099-entries-pairs-2022-23/file

Open spot at MKJW will be left open and Matte/Ferland are out of Espoo. We are more than 14 days out from the Espoo Team Leaders meeting, so they will have to fill this spot.

I'm not sure if Osipova is able to get a visa to travel to Finland (she's Russian and they didn't compete at Finlandia). My guess is that the Crafoords will be invited to fill this spot - an additional 5 weeks of training on the road back from Greta's injury will probably result in a far better showing than they had at SkAm.

There has to be some level of concern, though, that either SafBeru or SmirSiia (or both) will also wind up withdrawing from Espoo and one or both of those spots would probably need to be filled. On the plus side, Vaipan-Law/Digby are at MKJW and, if they manage to earn the total score minimum, they would be added to the pairs alternates list.

Pairs - 1 spot open @Espoo

Jammers

Are there no Chinese skaters on the GP this season? Has China given up on skating and being competitive?

Karen-W

Are there no Chinese skaters on the GP this season? Has China given up on skating and being competitive?
Zhu, Jin, and Peng/Jin were withdrawn from their events due to injuries. Jin is now in Toronto at the Cricket Club, so there's some hope he'll be able to compete during the second half of the season.

Wang/Liu have been in Montreal for a couple months now and there's no reason to think they won't be able to compete in their two GPs - NHK & Espoo.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
You can also read some of the small Russia-China sports-news tidbits that I’ve been uploading…”because we’re not really supposed to know…”

Karen-W

Pairs grid

Zukova / Bidar withdrawn from NHK

Osipova / Epstein added to GP Espoo
The grid doesn't show that Safina/Berulava have been withdrawn from Espoo, but the entries page does.

Technically, neither open spot needs to be replaced, however I would not be at all surprised if the JSF added Yunoki/Ichihashi since they train in Japan (though they might be injured since they didn't compete at either the E,

Also, the Pairs alternates list could be expanded after Saturday if Vaipan-Law/Digby can manage to earn the total minimum score (they're short by .09). The other possibility (which I think is pretty unlikely, but I'm trying to think of any and all scenarios) is, because there are so few pairs teams alternates left, that McBeath/Bartholomay are extended an invitation to one of those spots, especially if they skate really well this weekend.

Last edited:

happycamper2554

The grid doesn't show that Safina/Berulava have been withdrawn from Espoo, but the entries page does.

Technically, neither open spot needs to be replaced, however I would not be at all surprised if the JSF added Yunoki/Ichihashi since they train in Japan (though they might be injured since they didn't compete at either the East Japan or West Japan Sectionals to qualify for Nationals).

I do expect to see the open Espoo spot filled by either the Crafoords (especially since Aljona's now going) or Piegad/Strekalin, because there's still a chance that Smirnova/Siianytsia will wind up withdrawing and reduce the field again.

Pairs - 1 open spot at NHK; 1 spot open @Espoo
Osipova/Epstein NED 146.06 (69) (Espoo)
I wonder if Kam/O'Shea would be added if they won and that is why they were sent out instead of to the pairs final. The pairs competition is not a challenger though. They seem to make up the rules as they go though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information