2023 JGP last 3 US women spots Poll

Who should get the last 3 spots (if they don't save room for a 2nd assignment)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Although I think at least one spot will be saved to give someone a 2nd assignment, I am curious who people think should get the next 3 spots if no spots were saved. Interesting how the 2023 Nationals top scorers are different from the Junior Cup top scorers vs. the other summer comp overall top scorers...makes decisions pretty tough!

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Keira’s too young.

Yeah, the women’s selections aren’t obvious because a lot of skaters have produced inconsistent results between last season and throughout this summer.

Everhardt would be my next pick.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I agree, @her grace, about Everhardt being the next pick, but I also didn't expect Josephine to get the 2nd assignment based on her summer results - I thought it would go to Elyce.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I think J. Lee got a JGP both because her score ceiling is potentially very high and because she’s too young for a senior event. Some of the poll contenders will probably get Senior B assignments.

Karen-W

I think J. Lee got a JGP both because her score ceiling is potentially very high and because she’s too young for a senior event. Some of the poll contenders will probably get Senior B assignments.
Herrera is the only one on that list who I think is in the mix for a senior B or two. It took 170+ scores at NQS comps to get skaters like Alena Budko and Ava Ziegler their Challenger assignments last year. So far, Herrera is the only one on this list that has that high of a Sr NQS score.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
It looks like USFS is prioritizing the younger juniors so we might see Herrera and Everhardt at a Sr. B instead.

Chao 13-years-old
J. Lee 15-years-old
Lin-Gracey 16-years-old (sr eligible)
Kalin 15-years-old
S. Lee 14-years-old

Wonder what USFS will do with Chao's 5th-place result? Is it enough for a second assignment?

happycamper2554

It looks like USFS is prioritizing the younger juniors so we might see Herrera and Everhardt at a Sr. B instead.

Chao 13-years-old
J. Lee 15-years-old
Kalin 15-years-old
S. Lee 14-years-old

Wonder what USFS will do with Chao's 5th-place result? Is it enough for a second assignme

Chao 13-years-old
J. Lee 15-years-old
Kalin 15-years-old
S. Lee 14-years-old

Wonder what USFS will do with Chao's 5th-place result? Is it enough for a second assignment?
I don’t think it is. A low score especially in the free

Karen-W

Chao 13-years-old
J. Lee 15-years-old
Kalin 15-years-old
S. Lee 14-years-old

Doubtful, but it could depend on how the other skaters do in the coming weeks. There are plenty of other junior girls - Logan Higase-Chen, Sherry Zhang, Katie Shen - who are chomping at the bit for a JGP despite poorer performances at the Junior Team Cup, so I expect they (and Everhardt) are probably going to be prioritized over a "meh" total score from Annika this week.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I thought Annika did very well, I would suggest like Amber years ago to drop the arms over the head until it’s better

I think Annika is my favorite USA juniors women’s skater in quite some time. I thought she was great this week.

She was third in the short program and fifth overall, I think she deserves a second assignment, go girl

on a sidenote, I don’t know how many more times I’ll be able to take this Adele song throughout the following season from everybody multiple times

happycamper2554

I thought Annika did very well, I would suggest like Amber years ago to drop the arms over the head until it’s better

I think Annika is my favorite USA juniors women’s skater in quite some time. I thought she was great this week.

She was third in the short program and fifth overall, I think she deserves a second assignment, go girl

on a sidenote, I don’t know how many more times I’ll be able to take this Adele song throughout the following season from everybody multiple times
This was an incredibly weak field and she performed poorly. She won't get another one.

Stephanie

With limited JGP spots available I’m starting to think that Everhardt may be sent to challengers instead since she’s old enough.

Karen-W

With limited JGP spots available I’m starting to think that Everhardt may be sent to challengers instead since she’s old enough.
So, Everhardt got the spot at JGP #6 Gdansk, which leaves 2 open spots.

So far, after two JGPs -

Chao 164.04 5th place
J Lee 151.40 8th place

I think it's safe to rule out Josephine for a 2nd assignment at this point - she just hasn't been skating well all summer and this week was not great.

Annika might have a slim chance at a 2nd assignment, but her JGP Bangkok score would have only been good enough for 4th in Linz this week, so I'm not yet convinced the USFS will give her another one with other girls still in the mix for an initial assignment. Sherry Zhang, Cleo Park, Teryn Kim and Kanon Smith are all slated for Jr Women at Golden West this weekend.

I think we'll see 2 of Sherry Zhang, Katie Shen and Logan Higase-Chen listed as placeholders when the JGP #7 Yerevan entry lists come out next week, with Elyce, Mia, Soho and Sarah all still in the mix for a 2nd assignment contingent on how they do at their 1st JGPs.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Good thoughts.

I think we'll see 2 of Sherry Zhang, Katie Shen and Logan Higase-Chen listed as placeholders when the JGP #7 Yerevan entry lists come out next week, with Elyce, Mia, Soho and Sarah all still in the mix for a 2nd assignment contingent on how they do at their 1st JGPs.
I agree, except that I don't think Everhardt will be in the mix for a second assignment unless USFS decides to give her two before she skates her first event. USFS doesn't usually wait that late to finalize assignments. More likely, she'll be treated like Maxim Zharkov last season, and if she does well in her JGP, then they send her to a Senior assignment.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Honestly does it matter who gets sent? I was explaining to DH today that the US had medaled in three out of four disciplines in Linz: guess which one we didn’t come close. Our ladies are just not as a group competitive with the Japanese and Koreans, not to mention the odd European here and there.

Evgeniafan

It matters to the skaters.

But no, I’m not expecting great results from any of them. Still, USFS needs to develop the skaters by giving opportunities in a fair and reasonable manner.
I think there is talent amongst the girls, but certain coaches are given preference and the under rotations are not addressed, that is why they get zinged internationally. Most of the girls have good spins and artistry.

Karen-W

Honestly, while I get the thought process behind rewarding Josephine Lee for her 5th place in Sr Women at Nats - that was 7 months ago and she has not been skating well all summer.

Same with Soho Lee - sure, she was the only US JGP medalist last year, but, again, that was 11 months ago and she hasn't been lighting it up domestically this summer either.

Having said all that, it isn't as though any of the US Junior women are skating like fire so far this summer. We'll see how Elyce does next week - she's probably been the most consistent in scoring well enough to potentially medal on the JGP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information