2024 Eurovision Grand Final - Finally Facing Our Waterloo?

airgelaal

I have nothing against Switzerland. Ukraine is the only!!! country that gave Switzerland 24 points. But when the winner is only 5th in televoting, then there is something wrong with the system.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Waking up after the night before and it is still not credible that the Irish public gave 10 points to Israel in our televote. If you are going to manipulate a vote, you’re going to have to make it more believable than that. :p

Miezekatze

Waking up after the night before and it is still not credible that the Irish public gave 10 points to Israel in our televote. If you are going to manipulate a vote, you’re going to have to make it more believable than that. :p
But people voted for Israel because of shit like that.

I didnt even bother to watch the ESC or listen to any of the songs, because it got on my nerves before it even started, but i voted 15 times for Israel.

I'm sure in Ireland there are also lots of people who are annoyed by loud people with an enormous ego imposing their ignorance and political opinion on others while probably mistakingly thinking they are a majority, while they thankfully are Not.

Plus if some contestants think they need to make the Contest political they'll have to Deal with reaping what they sow.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

I didnt even bother to watch the ESC or listen to any of the songs, because it got on my nerves before it even started, but i voted 15 times for Israel.

I'm sure in Ireland there are also lots of people who are annoyed by people with an enormous ego imposing their ignorance and political opinion in Others while probably mistakingly thinking they are a majority, while they thankfully are Not.

Plus if some contestants think they need to make the Contest political they'll have to Deal with reaping what they sow.
You didn’t watch the show, but you voted 15 times for a song as some kind of a counter protest? That is just f*cking weird.

Anyway, I guess it is true what they say about fools and their money being easily parted. :shuffle:

Miezekatze

You didn’t watch the show, but you voted 15 times for a song as some kind of a counter protest? That is just f*cking weird.

Anyway, I guess it is true what they say about fools and their money being easily parted. :shuffle:
My wallet will survive the dramatic loss of a 2,50 Euros. :lol: (I'd say it's rather foolish to not predict this sort of backlash and be surprised)

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
My wallet will survive the dramatic loss of a 2,50 Euros. :lol: (I'd say it's rather foolish to not predict this sort of backlash and be surprised)
I am so glad people made their political point by checks notes voting for a song in a television programme they didn’t even watch. That’s really sticking it to the man. :lol:

On the upside, maybe people on here can stop saying Ireland is pro-terrorism since our 10 points show how much support Israel has here. :p

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
In case anyone missed it, Iceland finished last in Semi 1 and Malta last in Semi 2.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
Many of my friends voted for Ireland many times on various platforms bc it would piss off all the wanna be righty christian folk.

They did not care for the song but didn't hate it either. The effect was the entertainment enough.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Many of my friends voted for Ireland many times on various platforms bc it would piss off all the wanna be righty christian folk.

They did not care for the song but didn't hate it either. The effect was the entertainment enough.
Hey, I can get behind that because at least they watched! I am always about doing my due diligence on what I am voting for. :D

Imagine voting for something you haven't even seen and later realising it was the most GFB in history. Now that would be embarrassing. :shuffle:
Your reactions show clearly that people care.
Care about what? :confused:

airgelaal

Imagine voting for something you haven't even seen and later realising it was the most GFB in history. Now that would be embarrassing. :shuffle:
Ukraine-2017
Among my friends there was a huge promotional campaign for O.Torvald. Everyone suddenly wanted Ukraine to be represented by a rock band. I asked everyone: have you even heard the song and seen them perform? But no one cared, they were confident in their rock performance. And I was sure of the last place and we got it.

lexeoe

I wanted Croatia to win but Switzerland was just very good. I'm just glad we don't have another Cha, Cha, Cha to deal with this year. That song in my opinion was extremely overrated, can't believe people fell for that song.

Asli

Indeed. This international show of solidarity wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the unprecedented pile-on by some competitors on a fellow (young) competitor and some of the scenes from the demonstrations in Malmö. Apparently the Israeli singer was told to remain in her hotel room for her security and tons of police were deployed. This just shouldn't happen in the ESC !

IMO many of the Eurovision songs are interchangeable. I watch Eurovision for some light entertainment and forget almost all of the songs immediately afterwards. So a protest vote is as valid a vote as any. It's not the parliamentary vote! ;)

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Yeah I’ve now been watching this for five or six years, for which FSU and Allezfred bear the guilt. The musical quality is trash even by pop standards, over-orchestrated mindless ditties “sung” by now-cliched sexually indeterminate folks and cookie-cutter flashy women. Hence, the appeal.

But it’s usually harmless. This year’s combo of a very unpopular war and a location rather infamous for antisemitism was unfortunate.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
As usual, our own ranking had nothing to do with the real result.

We had a tie for 1st place for Finland and Germany
2nd was Israel
3rd was a tie between Armenia and Croatia

Switzerland only got like 4 points or so among our group.

It was a fun party, Germany didn't come in last and next year the Swiss will do a great show.
So, all in all, I am a bit happy.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
This international show of solidarity wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the unprecedented pile-on by some competitors on a fellow (young) competitor and some of the scenes from the demonstrations in Malmö.
I would hardly call it an international show of solidarity - there was a concerted effort by the very worst on the right wing in Europe to promote voting for Israel. Literally people who espouse anti-abortion, anti-LGBTQ+, racist opinions on the daily were calling on people to vote for Israel. That is not the kind of solidarity I would want for my country.

And there was no “pile-on” on the Israeli performer by the other performers. A number of the competing musicians expressed their opposition to what is going on in Gaza as is their right to freely express their opinions. The same musicians also got a huge amount of negativity for competing at all from those on the left.

And the Israeli broadcaster was absolutely lapping up the negative attention.

Debbie S

And there was no “pile-on” on the Israeli performer by the other performers. A number of the competing musicians expressed their opposition to what is going on in Gaza as is their right to freely express their opinions.
Oh, really?

During Golan's rehearsals on Wednesday of her song Hurricane, which was reworked from an early track October Rain (thought to be a reference to the attack by Hamas), she was booed and there were reportedly shouts of 'free Palestine'.

One person wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter: 'The atmosphere inside the arena was horrible. You could feel the tension. Shouts of 'free Palestine' in the quiet parts. Booing audible in places. People arguing in the standing section.'
Another person, who posted a video of boos raining down on the singer, added: 'The atmosphere was so uncomfortable.'
Golan, who was born in Israel but grew up in Russia, has faced death threats ahead of her performances at the Malmo Arena, while even her fellow contestants have been accused of bullying her during a press conference earlier this week. Greek singer Marina Satti caused a stir after she was seen dramatically yawning and pretending to fall asleep while Eden was speaking to the press during a panel event.
Meanwhile, Ireland's entry Bambie Thug, 31, revealed they cried with their team after discovering Israel had qualified for the grand finale.

Booing, heckling and bullying tactics are not political expression. In this context, they are unprofessional and juvenile and have no place in an event like this.

Eden has nothing to do with Israeli gov't or military policy. She is an artist just like everyone else there and shouldn't have to prepare for her finale performance by having her team boo her so she can get used to it. (If anyone from any other country or identity had to do that here, there would be outrage.)

airgelaal

Eden has nothing to do with Israeli gov't or military policy. She is an artist just like everyone else there and shouldn't have to prepare for her finale performance by having her team boo her so she can get used to it. (If anyone from any other country or identity had to do that here, there would be outrage.)
How pathetic. But she was very comfortable singing in russian-occupied Crimea. She could continue to sing there,and not climb onto the Eurovision stage. In the illegally occupied territories of Ukraine, terrorists would continue to applaud her. In fact, her pro-Putin colleagues continue to do this publicly.

alexikeguchi

They are giving boos for any country giving Israel points, too.

The disparity between Israel’s jury and televote points is the largest we’ve ever had since this voting system started in 2016.

You didn’t watch the show, but you voted 15 times for a song as some kind of a counter protest?

I did listen to the frontrunner songs but didn't vote since I'm in "the rest of the world" and didn't see my votes counting at all. FWIW, Israel was my first choice, and Ukraine was my second which lined up exactly with the televote. So maybe not everyone was trying to make a political statement but just has different taste? Just sayin'...

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
You have to laugh really. One day someone doesn't even understand how the competition is judged and the next day has very strong views on how the competition should be conducted :lol:

And that comment has nothing to do with politics. Just a comment on what comes with a ROTW vote. :D

But on to the next great event for me, swimming trial season starts tomorrow :cheer2:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Booing, heckling and bullying tactics are not political expression. In this context, they are unprofessional and juvenile and have no place in an event like this.
I mean it just shows that you have no idea about the contest that you posted this. The other competing artists were not the ones booing, heckling, etc. It was the paying audience. The other artists never even met her as she was kept away from them.

Debbie S

You have to laugh really. One day someone doesn't even understand how the competition is judged and the next day has very strong views on how the competition should be conducted :lol:
I don't think you need to be an expert on the judging to be opposed to a contestant being booed, heckled, bullied and subjected to death threats.

I mean it just shows that you have no idea about the contest that you posted this. The other competing artists were not the ones booing, heckling, etc. It was the paying audience. The other artists never even met her as she was kept away from them.
The assumed the rehearsals weren't attended by the paying audience. I stand corrected. But the article specifically references behavior by other artists at the press conf where it sure sounds like they were together.

airgelaal

The assumed the rehearsals weren't attended by the paying audience. I stand corrected. But the article specifically references behavior by other artists at the press conf where it sure sounds like they were together.
How else does the audience get there? The organizers always sell tickets for these rehearsals.
I categorically disagree with the way the public behaved, but it affected not only Eden. For example, this is how a participant from Lithuania felt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information