alilou's Adventures in Wonderland 2 - all over the map

Alilou

Ubercavorter
A new blog post is ready. So thrilled to have been interviewed by Gil and Gene for their podcast Retire There.
They are New Yorkers headed towards retirement. They know they want to retire elsewhere but don’t know where, so they started a podcast interviewing people who had moved away for retirement.
Fun conversation! About travel, life, retirement, and the fabulousness of Vancouver.

Why Vancouver After Years of Travelling? – a new interview

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I have a new blog post ready. Vancouver has a really vibrant Japanese community, and the post is about their two annual festivals - Nikkei Matsuri and the Powell Street Festival. Both are a great reminder of Canada's multiculturalism, and are an authentic introduction to Japanese culture. Plus Taiko drums! :encore:

Of course they were cancelled last year, and maybe again this year, but next year hopefully for sure!

Matsuri Magic! Vancouver’s Japanese Festivals

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Summer got in the way. This is not a bad thing 😂. With river tubing, and kayaking, and visiting friends, and a sister visiting I got a bit behind my usual (self-imposed :rolleyes:) schedule.
I finally have a new blog post ready. Travelling solo to Steveston. I wish I could say travelling solo to Turkmenistan, or Greece, or even to eastern Canada. But hey, it is what it is and Steveston will have to do. It's a quaint fishing village about an hour out of Vancouver. Not Turkmenistan, but still worth a visit. A day that felt like a warm hug, until the end when the cops took me off the train (The Consequences of Righteous Outrage: false accusation and police interrogation).

Catch Of The Day: Steveston fishing village, and the Richmond dykes

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I think Steveston is where they filmed the Once Upon a Time tv show - I use to love that show!
I don't know that show (must go look it up) but I did read that a lot of filming happens there because of all the restored buildings and quaint setting.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Behind again with blog posts - this time we both got colds and are still recovering. Tested and no it's not cov1d, just a cold. We have no idea how we could have possibly caught a cold since we wear masks in indoor public paces, and only go indoors for grocery shopping. Anyway this too shall pass.

So I finally put together a small post - a photo essay of a couple of kids playing wild and free on a west coast beach, just because I love the photos (though apparently not many others) and wanted to share them.

Girls At The Beach – a photo essay

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I've just published a new blog post. This one is the first in a series covering the highlights of all our travels - places, festivals, experiences. This post is about covering vast distances in South America by bus (🚌 - yes, by bus - luxury bus!), a 4x4 trip across the Bolivian Altiplano, and island 🏝 hopping across the Pacific.

Going The Distance: the best way to get from A to B

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I have a new blog post ready. I did something that scared the crap out of me. :yikes:Well kinda rattled me anyway. Scary and Fun. It's about going solo. And the need to practice doing it.

Out Of My Comfort Zone

kedrin

I enjoyed the kayak story. I took up kayaking a few years ago when I started volunteering with a free kayaking organization here in New York City. We have to deal with winds and tides- and ferries! It can be a learning curve.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I enjoyed the kayak story. I took up kayaking a few years ago when I started volunteering with a free kayaking organization here in New York City. We have to deal with winds and tides- and ferries! It can be a learning curve.
A learning curve - no kidding 😂 but fun, I'm glad we did it. Your kayaking experience sounds amazing, and challenging. Winds and tides is a lot, let alone ferries too.

kedrin

A learning curve - no kidding 😂 but fun, I'm glad we did it. Your kayaking experience sounds amazing, and challenging. Winds and tides is a lot, let alone ferries too.
You will have to try it if you ever get to NYC! We'll keep you in the safe area. No ferries allowed!

Alilou

Ubercavorter
You will have to try it if you ever get to NYC! We'll keep you in the safe area. No ferries allowed!
OK! Would love to! I've wanted to get back to NYC for so long. I spent a total of 5 days there in about '97 and totally fell in love with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information