Bad Callers - Calling out Bad Calls

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Hi again everyone. I'm going to also do a video series called Bad Callers, where I call out bad calls from Tech Panels. The technical panel during last night's Women's SP at US Nats inspired me.

I'm going back to Ice Dance for the next video, doing One Foot Step Sequences. There will be two, one going over the one foot turns required, another explaining the levels.

orbitz

I wish there was a voice over explaining why you think so and so jump was incorrectly called. I mean I saw the slow-mo of Bell 3-3 and lutz, for example, and didn't see any under-rotations. The same goes for Liu's 3-3. You think that was under-rotated ?

I did enjoy watching the video though. Much appreciated.

VGThuy

I think the new TES box that shows when an element is being reviewed by literally spelling out the word has been the most casual fan friendly thing they’ve done since the invention of the TES box. I liked the earlier version this season where they showed the maximum score a skater could get for an element Side-by-side with what the score that skater was actually getting for that element.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think the new TES box that shows when an element is being reviewed by literally spelling out the word has been the most casual fan friendly thing they’ve done since the invention of the TES box.
Yes, they could maybe turn the element box itself yellow when it's under review to make it a little more obvious but that's a small nitpick because I do really like the new TES box. Now, if only they'd give us the jump stats the way Japanese TV does, and that amazing ice coverage graphic.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Interesting @thvu. One thing that I think leads to viewer frustration, though, is that the callers have a different camera angle than the public, which means we each see different things. Maybe they could show the caller's view as part of the post-skate analysis.
True. I am sure that would be an easy fix. Which of course would require a commitment to transparency.
It would make it more difficult for the ISU to anoint the skaters they want, rather than using actual skating as a measure.

With so much technology available there should be no discrepancies.

Little people with too much power.

I don't get why Peacock/NBC doesn't take care of that. It take away some of the confusion and mystery which should lead to a rise in viewership.

If they call me, I will let them know. :)

Rock2

Hi again everyone. I'm going to also do a video series called Bad Callers, where I call out bad calls from Tech Panels. The technical panel during last night's Women's SP at US Nats inspired me.

I'm going back to Ice Dance for the next video, doing One Foot Step Sequences. There will be two, one going over the one foot turns required, another explaining the levels.

Love this. Thanks for putting this together. Can you please do Zhou's LP? Don't want to bash the guy but genuinely curious.

On some of the jumps, I question if you paused the video precisely when the skater's blade hit the ice. Hard to discern exactly when that happens but I think you jumped the gun on a few.

I always wonder about situations such as Mariah's 3T. I think sometimes skaters get dinged for landing backwards and then turning an EXTRA quarter turn on the ice. So if you consider the direction of Mariah's momentum on the 3T, it's 90 degrees less than the direction her blade runs out, because of that extra 1/4 turn on the ice. I felt this was the culprit on some of Nagasu's under calls back in the day. Wonder what the rule is on that? I would hope that as long as your blade is pointing backwards according to the momentum you should be ok.

ETA, to be picky about the Mariah point, I am judging her momentum going into the 3T to be the direction she landed the 3F, as judged by her right foot on the landing. The waters get muddied a bit when she doesn't pick precisely behind her and sort of picks "around the corner", which does change the direction of her momentum a bit.

Overthinking this a little, but it is a game of fractions-of-an-inch....

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information