Blade Switch

USxsk8tr

Skated in Gold Star all through career and coaching, and now blades are worn down to nothing. Blades about 35 yrs old 😵‍💫. Need to transition to something much easier for recreation, light adult skating. Same MK family. Any suggestions? Never worn anything else, started with in GS in prelim. But as old lady def don’t need it now, don’t have balance for it anymore. Very unsteady on them. Is there anything that will allow an easy transition?

bladesofgorey

It's been a while since I checked in on blade updates, but it sounds like a good general-use blade like MK professionals might work even though they are considered decent for basic jumping?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I've always had Coronation Ace blades (waiting for a new pair right now) and they are an excellent all-purpose blade for all levels of skating.

Debbie S

I think MK Pro and Coronation Ace are basically the same blade? And yes, both are good for FS, moves, dance....an all-purpose blade. When I skated, I had MK Pros, starting in Basic 4 or 5 through single rev jumps and Juv and Int level moves.

USxsk8tr

Skated in Gold Star all through career and coaching, and now blades are worn down to nothing. Blades about 35 yrs old 😵‍💫. Need to transition to something much easier for recreation, light adult skating. Same MK family. Any suggestions? Never worn anything else, started with in GS in prelim. But as old lady def don’t need it now, don’t have balance for it anymore. Very unsteady on them. Is there anything that will allow an easy transition?
Thanks everyone! Think I’m actually going to buy new GS..trying to go to a whole new blade would be a disaster I think…if I were young and competing would be no sweat to switch. Have to stick with what you know 💪🏻

bladesofgorey

Thanks everyone! Think I’m actually going to buy new GS..trying to go to a whole new blade would be a disaster I think…if I were young and competing would be no sweat to switch. Have to stick with what you know 💪🏻
I think that's a logical choice. I went with Phantoms again after an over 20 year break from stepping on the ice even though they are way over my level now because that's what I was used to and don't regret it.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
@USxsk8tr Old post but thought I would chime in.

I skated on GS's in my competitive years and kept using them in my adult skating life.

When I bought a new pair, it took me about a month (if not more) to adjust to a new blade because my rocker had been worn down so much. I honestly thought they were defective at first; spinning has never been a problem for me and here I was struggling to center spins.

With a new blade, give it a little more "oomph" on the elements that came easily before and you should be back in business pretty soon.

If you're looking to downgrade for cost reasons (Gold Stars are $$$$!), MK Pros are the closest in profile. At this point, they may feel more familar given that everything on your current blade has worn down 😂

fan

I’d like to switch from coronation ace to danceblades. Anything I should know?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I’d like to switch from coronation ace to danceblades. Anything I should know?

Depends what blades you are switching to. FWIW I did the first two levels of dance in Coronation Aces and they were fine.

fan

Depends what blades you are switching to. FWIW I did the first two levels of dance in Coronation Aces and they were fine.
I’m working on my golds, so one of the higher level blades. I don’t know anything about dance blades though

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I’m working on my golds, so one of the higher level blades. I don’t know anything about dance blades though

From what I've been told, the main difference is that the heels of the blades are shorter. But a good skate shop or technician should be able to recommend a blade with a similar rocker to what you have now, so it won't be too much of an adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information