Broadway musicals

Which Broadway show would you recommend ?

• Aladdin

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Anastasia

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Cats

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Miss Saigon

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • The Book of Mormon

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • The Phantom of the Opera

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Wicked

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other

Votes: 24 25.0%

• Total voters

peibeck

Simply looking
Ten time 2018 Tony Winner "The Band's Visit" is scheduled to close April 7th.

Meanwhile "Frozen" and "Mean Girls" play on. :shuffle:

screech

This makes me really excited, especially since I'm currently watching the show on Prime. Fran Drescher has teamed up with Rachel Bloom and Adam Schlesinger to bring The Nanny to Broadway!

Unfortunately Maxwell Sheffield isn't producing (but at least it isn't Andrew Lloyd Weber!), though the team that produced Dear Evan Hansen is. And the director is the same who produced Beatuiful: The Carole King Musical.

I think Rachel and Adam will do a fantastic job with the music. Fran and her ex-husband, who was co-creator and producer of the show will both be involved too.

As I'm rewatching the show (for first time since it ended 20 years ago), I'd forgotten how funny it is! I watch episodes on the subway on my way to work, and I've gotten looks from people when I'm literally laughing out loud at parts (I have no idea how Charles Shaughnessy kept a relatively straight face in that scene). And it was a show where you can tell the studio audience was genuinely having a blast.

No word yet on casting. I really hope they can find someone to perfectly portray Niles' scathing remarks to CC.

clairecloutier

There's an article in The New York Times about the new stage production of West Side Story.

The article is really long, but it's interesting if you're a fan of the play/movie. (When I was a kid, my parents had the original Broadway soundtrack of the musical, and I listened to it endlessly.)

4skating

There's an article in The New York Times about the new stage production of West Side Story.

The article is really long, but it's interesting if you're a fan of the play/movie. (When I was a kid, my parents had the original Broadway soundtrack of the musical, and I listened to it endlessly.)

Thanks so much for the link. I don't know how I feel about such a different take on a musical that I have known and loved for so long. I also wonder how it will impact reaction to the upcoming Spielberg film. It will be quite a year for WSS fans, no matter what.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
At one point all the local youth theater groups were putting on productions so I got to see the play a few times and also the film (because my daughter wanted to study it since she was in one of these productions). I think it holds up really well for being as old as I am (it was released the year I was born). I'm not sure it actually needs to be "reimagined."

But the article makes the new version sound really interesting. Maybe a trip to NYC is in order. :D

smurfy

I saw 'Moulin Rouge' on Broadway this past weekend.
I really loved it - fun.
Karen Olivo was not in the show, it was the understudy. Her voice was wonderful but she seem stilted.
The rest of the cast was amazing. Audience was into it.
Some of the same songs from the movie and lots of changes with new songs.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I saw West Side Story last night with my mother, we both did not like it:

I see we're both on the same Broadway message board. I'll be interested to see how the reviews of the show line up with their opinions over there. Most of them seem to like it and will brook no dissent (which is pretty much par for the course over there :lol: ).

canbelto

I see we're both on the same Broadway message board. I'll be interested to see how the reviews of the show line up with their opinions over there. Most of them seem to like it and will brook no dissent (which is pretty much par for the course over there :lol: ).

so much drama ... but then again it is a theater board, I have feeling reviews will be mixed. The ppl who love this seem to really love it and the ppl who hate it feel as strongly.

VGThuy

I saw West Side Story last night with my mother, we both did not like it:

Your review has like confirmed my worst fears with this revival. Some times I think these wannabe "geniuses" try too hard to make something classic feel relevant for today, but they themselves are actually out-of-touch with the real world as well. It's just the presentation of being real without actually getting or understanding it. So much of new theatre style has no subtlety or subtext. It's all in your face and full speed.

canbelto

In other news, there's big drama surrounding Sophia Ann Caruso's sudden departure from Beetlejuice.

annie720

Broadway Cares has updated its playlist of the Broadway Backwards performances over the years, and I've been happily viewing these all morning. Broadway Backwards is an annual fundraiser for HIV where some of the stage's biggest stars put an LGBTG twist on some well-known Broadway numbers. This year's show was supposed to have been last night and alas, it wasn't. These are a blast! Here's the playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtHnJHHPnhP_3Xt-u0nOhYzoyLAC_SfaQ

So far I've watched Sixteen Going on Seventeen, A Lot of Livin' to do (an awesome number with Ariana DeBose!), Cell Block Tango, There's Nothing Like a Dame (with an 80-year-old raunchy Florence Henderson). If you love Broadway and haven't seen these, check them out!

Last edited:

4skating

Along the same lines, I discovered YouTube recordings of the annual MCC's MisCast gala, where performers do songs for roles in which they would never best cast--men in women's roles and vice versa. A few of my faves:

Last edited:

4skating

Broadway.com is doing a special episode of the Rosie O'Donnell show on its youtube channel tonight. Some of my favorite musical performers are appearing, with fundraising for the Actor's Fund.

Aaron Tveit, Sutton Foster, Jeremy Jordan and more.

7 pm ET tonight

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Don't know if this was posted already, but just in case anyone missed it:

You can watch some Broadway musicals free online for a limited time

From the site: BroadwayHD, a theatre streaming service, hit the web in 2015 and quickly became a popular option for people to catch their favourite shows without having to flock to their nearest showing (probably at a far greater cost).

It’s priced at $8.99 per month or $99.99 for a full year – however, amid the surge of folks staying at home at the moment, the company has introduced a seven-day free trial (after which you’ll need to pick one of the affordable payment plans).

Last edited:

screech

Because theatres shut down, some shows didn't get their official opening night. The original cut-off date for official openings (not previews) is April 23. I'm assuming that will be moved, but then that will affect next year's eligible shows.

Looking at the list of (currently) eligible shows, there's not a lot there on the musical side! FOUR original musicals, and ZERO musical revivals!

VGThuy

Terrance McNally, author of some great plays, such as Master Class; Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune; Love! Valour! Compassion!; and author of the books for the musical Kiss of the Spiderwoman and Ragtime, died yesterday from complications from well...you know. The thing we're social distancing for.

You can see his work in this long clip of Zoe Caldwell (and Audra McDonald) in Master Class:

Caldwell was such an amazing actress, wasn't she? I saw clips of Faye Dunaway, as we all know a celebrated film actress in her own right, do this part and I remember people saying she was amazing in the role, but seeing Caldwell and comparing them...there's something different about being a theatre-trained and bred actress working on an stage with an audience. There's such a command and ability to make the lines land.

BTW, this page has tons of treasures from Broadway productions...some things I thought I'd never see.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Check out this rare 40 second clip of Gwen Verdon in the 1953 musical Can Can in stunning quality:

I wish I could see the whole thing now. No wonder she got that opening night applause in the middle of the show that stopped it cold. And this video wasn't even showcasing the number that did that.

screech

Adam Schlesinger, best known as a founding member of the band Fountains of Wayne, died today of COVID-19.
In addition to that, he's incredibly well known for writing one of the best movie songs of all time (and just a fantastic song in general). The fact that the song is heard something like 11 times throughout the movie, and you don't get sick of it? That's something special. Here's another of my favourite moments that it plays.

He was Rachel Bloom's songwriting partner for the show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. For Broadway, he co-wrote the music for the stage version of Cry-Baby, The Bedwetter (which was scheduled to begin previews on May 9), and was working with Bloom on the music for the stage adaptation of the show The Nanny. His music won him a Grammy, 3 Emmys, got him an Oscar and Globe nomination, and 2 Tony nominations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information