Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting here from GSD:
"We were really looking forward to sharing that Olympic moment together. It's an incredibly difficult situation for everyone involved, but certainly I don't think that it's fair to any of the athletes who medal that we have to forego that Olympic moment ... it's hard to go home empty-handed," Hubbell said.
Donohue added that he hopes the situation would be solved "as quickly as possible," both for the athletes and for the integrity of sport.
"We have a whole team of athletes that have finished competing and are staring looking at an empty box and the unknown of the future and missing out on that Olympics moment," Donohue said.
The two ice dancers were among the US skaters that met with International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach on Wednesday, which Bach described on Friday as "very fruitful."
Both Hubbell and Donohue said they appreciated meeting Bach to share their perspectives on the Valieva issue.
"We didn't leave the meeting feeling, I don't think any better about this situation, but at least you know, we had our chance to kind of say what it feels like to be an athlete in our shoes," Hubbell said.
Donohue confirmed that they have received Olympic torches from the IOC, which Bach earlier clarified was a "token of appreciation" for an honest meeting, not a consolation for a medal.

Sylvia

TBD
Thank you to @DORISPULASKI for "gifting" this 2/20/22 Washington Post article in the C/B fan thread.

Madi & Zach were among a small group of Team USA figure skaters who met with IOC President Thomas Bach (refer to the CNN article linked above) in a media interview room at the Athletes’ Village - excerpting their quotes below:
“My hope is that this is not taken as pressure around a medal,” said Zachary Donohue, another ice dancer. “There is going to be a medal at some point; that’s not my concern. . . . There needs to be more decisive action taking against any kind of doping issue and protecting the integrity of the sport.” [...]
“This is an opportunity for this sport to take strides, and it would be a shame if it gets buried under the rug,” Donohue said. “One of the main points [is] to put pressure [on the IOC], like: ‘The world is watching, and we have a chance to stand for something more than just one Games, but for the future of the integrity of the sport.’ ”
“Emotions are running high, and it was great he allowed us to say exactly what we were feeling, and I can say from my own personal standpoint I didn’t hold back,” said Madison Hubbell, Donohue’s partner. “It’s a tough conversation to have, and so I absolutely felt like he was listening.”
She said Bach promised the U.S. skaters he would “make the [medal] ceremony of our dreams, whatever those might be.”

bcash

I rewatched the 2018 Olympics Free Dance competition for the first time last night and I must say, as much as I still like that FD, and for all the complaints about their programs this quad, I realized how much they've grown since then (from that already stellar level in 2018), in the sureness of their skating and the maturity of their expression, which are on moving display in their programs these past two seasons.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
This is a stunning photo made by Melanie Haney of Madi and Marie-France before the FD:

Sylvia

TBD
Fan Zone article by Karen Rosen (March 7):
Even before this season began, Hubbell and Donohue announced that it would be their last.
Hubbell said other people — some very close to them — questioned the wisdom of revealing that decision because they constantly would be asked to talk about it.
"They know that we're very emotional, especially me," she said. "I can be listening to music in the warmup area and just start crying."
But other people understood that their true nature is to be very vulnerable.
"They saw every day in training the proof that we were living up to what we said, which was, 'We're making this choice because we think it will put us in the moment, that we think it will make us appreciate every day because it's heartbreaking to walk away in some way,'" said Hubbell. "Skating and the things that we experienced together are irreplaceable."
But even after Worlds, they won't really be walking away. They plan to move back to the United States and will do shows and work toward building their own schools and becoming coaches.
They each have partners off the ice. Hubbell is engaged to Spanish ice dancer Adrian Diaz and planning a June 2023 wedding. Donohue is dating Australian ice dancer Chantelle Kerry and will visit Sydney this June.
"We've always dreamed of the possibility of skating with absolute freedom and creativity and we can't wait to explore all the possibilities of what skating can be like with no points system," Hubbell said.
"Oh," said Donohue. "Bring that on, please."

sk9tingfan

I wonder where Zach is going. He indicated that he wanted to establish his own dance academy, but I would think that he would want to get some direct coaching experience at an established entity.

A friend of mine is an adult skater who told me that someone is pouring money into the Simsbury rink to bring it up to its former glory; it has deteriorated in the last few years after being neglected. However, I think that most if not all of the singles and pairs skaters have left for Letov's shop up in Boston. Maybe I can hope...

barbarafan

I wonder where Zach is going. He indicated that he wanted to establish his own dance academy, but I would think that he would want to get some direct coaching experience at an established entity.

A friend of mine is an adult skater who told me that someone is pouring money into the Simsbury rink to bring it up to its former glory; it has deteriorated in the last few years after being neglected. However, I think that most if not all of the singles and pairs skaters have left for Letov's shop up in Boston. Maybe I can hope...
Marie-France & Patrice have always said their idea of the academy was not just to train skaters to be brilliant but also to groom them to be great dedicated coaches and how to manage a school to turn out great skaters. They lived away from home for countless yrs when they skated and know what it is like.

Sylvia

TBD
Hartford Courant article on the 2 Stars on Ice skaters with connections to CT (April 20) - Hartford will be the 5th show of the tour on Saturday:
Excerpt re. Zach's plans:
After the Stars tour is over, he and his girlfriend are going on vacation, then coming back to the U.S. to start a business encompassing athletics and skating.
“I’ll be staying in the sport but taking a different approach,” he said. “Part of the business will be coaching, educating athletes, not just in skating but in general athletics and their health.
“I’ve always wanted to be a coach. It’s evolved into the impact I want to have on the sport. I really want to affect the health, both physically and mentally of the athletes, as well as helping other disciplines outside of ice dance to evolve and become more efficient.”

Sylvia

TBD
I didn't see this posted earlier... Madi & Zach won the PSA's Ice Dance "Best Performance" award at 2022 Nationals - the Professional Skaters Association published a press release back on April 14, 2022 ("The award is based on the "total performance" with an eye to costuming, presentation, music selection, choreography, style, and technique."):

Best Performance Ice Dance
Madison Hubbell / Zachary Donohue — Championship Dance Free Dance Program
PSA Coaches – Marie-France Dubreuil, Patrice Lauzon, Pascal Denis, Romain Haguenaur, Josée Piché, Benjamin Brisebois
Choreographers – Marie-France Dubreuil, Scott Moir
Music Selection – "Drowning" by Anne Sila
Costume Designer – Josiane Lamond for Madison; Susan Hubbell for Zachary

ETA: H/D previously won this award in 2021 and 2018.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Madi has not yet shared details about her post-SOI plans but this was posted on May 31 in the Dance Hall thread, ICYMI:
Madi Hubbell actually mentioned "London, Ontario" and Madi Chock replied "what a coaching vibe" in Stars on Ice's 5/27 Instagram Live from Spokane, WA (after 2-minute mark): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeFUbxxp6cG/
Yes, in the IG Live that she and Madi C did for SOI on Friday night (posted on SOI IG), it was mentioned that Madi H would be moving to London, Ontario and coaching, so we can probably assume she and Adrian will be working alongside Scott.
Upsetting! :(

Sylvia

TBD
Chantelle will be running and participating in a colloquium called "The Athlete's Voice" for her university in Sydney on Wednesday, June 22, 2022 and Zach is also featured (free registration to watch via Zoom):

Sylvia

TBD
IDC tweeted thic pic yesterday from Lake Placid: https://twitter.com/icedancecom/status/1552484402994839552

ETA: They are coaching 4 senior teams in Lake Placid -- Sales/Wamsteeker (CAN), Hensen/Lickers (CAN), Ritter/Brykalov (AZE) in the international event and Dozzi/Papetti (ITA) in the domestic/club event.

"A cell phone photo of Madison Hubbell and Adrian Diaz at the boards! #LPIDC": https://twitter.com/icedancecom/status/1552799969085620224

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the Dance Hall thread:
Video of Madi Hubbell reflecting affectionately on Lake Placid, its Olympic history, and its ice dance event:

IDC got a quote from Madi in Lake Placid about what it's like to be behind the boards now: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgmhjlDtZdZ/
As well as a quote from Adrian: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgorOlWsyNf/

Meanwhile, Zach has returned to Japan to instruct at the All Japan Junior Training Camp (JGP skaters) in Osaka: https://twitter.com/WFS_JP/status/1553368972795338752

aml78

It looks like Zach and his fiancé bought a home and are settling in. Does anyone know where he’s landed? I don’t think he’s officially announced what he’s up to so I’m curious where he’s setting down some roots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information