Chinese skating news & social media updates pt. 5, 2023 onwards

On My Own

😭 Not Schindler's List again 😭

Can't wait for the twitterati to call these skaters and choreographers "Zionists" and "genocide supporters".

Sylvia

TBD
Young Goose Academy’s Instagram account had a clip of Li/Rodin practicing before the May 10th show:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
ISU Communication No. 2634 Decisions of the Council (May 13, 2024): https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/33778-isu-communication-2634/file

2025 Europeans location now TBD (Croatia can't host); JGP #1 in France has been moved to become #7 in Wuxi, China; Grenoble confirmed as new city of GPF/JGPF in December 2024.
https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1790081788867432490/photo/1
As I commented in the ISU Allotments thread - that's one way for China to regain some of the JGP spots it lost due to not competing at Jr Worlds this year.

raruki

As I commented in the ISU Allotments thread - that's one way for China to regain some of the JGP spots it lost due to not competing at Jr Worlds this year.
Given that the new generation of Chinese junior girls is so crowded and competitive (and also losing spots and quotas because of the stupid political reason for not sending any delegates to WJC this year), good to see CFSA's positive move so more girls can have more chances to compete. Team China might be able to compete in JGPF with this batch of girls.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Given that the new generation of Chinese junior girls is so crowded and competitive (and also losing spots and quotas because of the stupid political reason for not sending any delegates to WJC this year), good to see CFSA's positive move so more girls can have more chances to compete. Team China might be able to compete in JGPF with this batch of girls.
Not just the girls but also the ice dancers - there are a couple of those junior teams we should be keeping an eye on, I think. Same goes for their junior men. :cool:

otisgear

I'm so bummed that it's not gonna have pairs. I get that they're replacing a non-pairs spot but still...
China could really use those pairs spot more so than any of the pairs JGP hosting countries lol
I get that the up and coming Chinese Junior girls have potential but let's be real, if there's gonna be any shot at a JGP medal I think pairs is much more likely than womens.

On My Own

I'm going to be a bit of a damper and say that none of the juniors will be medaling. But I'm happy about them getting a shot.

Last edited:

On My Own

Why do you think their pairs cannot medal?
Because they're not competing at this event?

For the rest, I'd have to look at the fields. Maybe the Luan Bo pairs would have a shot at a medal, but I think it's their first junior season? Not necessarily going into international competition with experience might hurt them.

Chen yudong may have a shot at medals for the men's event
He's not junior eligible. He's 20 this September.

raruki

Well, Tian Tonghe and Wang Yihan were so close to the podium last season, especially Wang Yihan (with a very tiny margin). With Jin Shuxian and Gao Shiqi, good technicians who consistently land difficult layouts internationally and domestically, they certainly have a chance to get to the podium in JGP. Feel bad for the pair teams though, they should have more chances to compete, hope that they can have some Junior B events to attend next season.

On My Own

Well, Tian Tonghe and Wang Yihan were so close to the podium last season, especially Wang Yihan (with a very tiny margin). With Jin Shuxian and Gao Shiqi, good technicians who consistently land difficult layouts internationally and domestically, they certainly have a chance to get to the podium in JGP.
Maybe? It will depend on the other fields (Korean/Japanese/American). I do like Tian, so would be happy if he does medal, but need to see him going for at least a 3A at this stage. I think that's in general my opinion on Chinese men, and maybe also the women. The jumps need to be better, because PCS is largely rep based and takes time to grow.

zebobes

Well, Tian Tonghe and Wang Yihan were so close to the podium last season, especially Wang Yihan (with a very tiny margin).

I thought the CFSA was so shortsighted in only giving Tonghe one jgp for two years in a row. Of course, there was nothing they could do about the first year back, but last year they gave away their extra spots, and this year they will once again be short.
I do like Tian, so would be happy if he does medal, but need to see him going for at least a 3A at this stage. I think that's in general my opinion on Chinese men, and maybe also the women. The jumps need to be better, because PCS is largely rep based and takes time to grow.
And all of the missed opportunities for competition are preventing his rep from improving. His programs last year also weren't ideal, very jump focused, but he has so much potential to be an expressive skater.

On My Own

And all of the missed opportunities for competition are preventing his rep from improving. His programs last year also weren't ideal, very jump focused, but he has so much potential to be an expressive skater.
Well he needs to be consistently "up there" in terms of rankings, too, which is where having a 3A will help. He already beat Yudong at junior nationals, he clearly has huge potential. He needs to get that 3A, which I'm not even sure he's training.

otisgear

what ever happened to SHI Wenning / WANG Zhiyu. they medalled in austria but then bombed nats and NWG.
No official announcement, but I'm fairly certain they've split. Neither appear to be continuing pursuing pairs at the moment. They downgraded their tech content for nats due to Zhiyu's shoulder injury and completely skipped NWG. Zhiyu posted a cryptic post on weibo (that was swiftly deleted) around NWG alluding that he was prevented from taking part in NWG against his own will (and not because he was injured). Keep in mind that Shi/Wang are a Jilin/Heilongjiang collab team, so you know...

Anyways, I don't think they're a huge loss to the Chinese junior pairs scene. They kinda lucked out on the JGP medal and their tech content doesn't really hold up anymore against the other teams that will move up to junior next season. Twist and throws are weak and jumps were always inconsistent/underrotated. Their lifts used to be their strength but that probably wouldn't have held up anyway with how much Shi has grown.

otisgear

Anyways, I don't think they're a huge loss to the Chinese junior pairs scene.
I should probably add that I do think Zhiyu is a very solid pairs boy despite being on the shorter side. I would love it if he could find a suitable partner and make a comeback. It was a crime that he was split from his original partner Zhang Jiaxuan so that Jiaxuan could partner with that obnoxious baby that is Huang Yihang.

Zhang/Wang would most likely have done better than Shi/Wang at JGP last season. And now Jiaxuan is in an age limbo partnership and Zhiyu is left without a partner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information