Four new elements to be added to periodic table

ilovepaydays

Some news for us geeks to get excited about! :)

CNN - Four new elements to be added to periodic table
Official press release from IUPAC

"IUPAC has now initiated the process of formalizing names and symbols for these elements temporarily named as ununtrium, (Uut or element 113), ununpentium (Uup, element 115), ununseptium (Uus, element 117), and ununoctium (Uuo, element 118)." .........With the discovery process now over, researchers have another tricky task at hand: coming up with permanent names and symbols for the elements.

According to the IUPAC, new elements can be named after a mythological concept, a mineral, a place or country, a property or a scientist.

After the proposed names are submitted, they will be open for public review for five months before the organization makes a final decision.

I wonder what names the researchers will come up with for their discovered elements.

Too bad The Big Theory already did an episode about Dr. Sheldon Cooper "discovering" a new element.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This is exciting. I look forward to their names and symbols.

Why are elements 114 and 116 missing?

Last edited:

Vagabond

According to the IUPAC, new elements can be named after a mythological concept, a mineral, a place or country, a property or a scientist.

I nominate quintupletoeloopium, quintuplesalchowium, quintuplerittbergerium, and quintupleflipium.

The symbols, of course, would be 5T, 5S, 5R (or 5Lo), and 5F.

:COP:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information