Grand Prix of Espoo 2023 - Men’s Short Program - (Fin) Land your jumps!

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Wow, judge 3 REALLY didn't like Miura (or really anyone... harsh scores all around!)
J3 is so real for her scoring until you get to Aymoz's PCS. I wish more judges would score everyone conservatively because it's more realistic. Like, yes, Miura's spins suck. A lot of big jumps have issues. Only a handful of people deserve PCS above 8 in any category.

But this standard needs to be applied to everyone instead of being used to prop up skaters like Aymoz (or Uno, whose 4F should be getting the same treatment as Sato's.)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Well, I fell asleep at 2:30am and slept completely through the men, which was going to be an option regardless of what time I fell asleep last night and, after watching the replay, I do not regret sleeping through it, lol.

I have no words - and, frankly, there are none when we live in a world where Jimmy Ma does not skate clean and still winds up in 3rd after the SP. Not that I expect this placement to stand the test of the FS.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
Starostin is not very good, is he? I don't notice a lot of progress, and tbh having a disco program is probably the worst way to show how modern one is. I'm not a fan. I feel like he's from the Misha Ge school of skating, where the bad basics, weak edges and lack of ballet training is hidden behind taking pseudo-dancy poses.

Ok, I should probably remember Shimada because he's different from the rest of the Japanese boys, and not in a good way. Well, he's still very young, but so far I'm not a fan either. Very little control over the edges and the upper body. The elbow-length sleeves are not improving the over all excess of limbs. He's cute though, so I predict he might become popular for no reason. Oh, that's Dolfini? He aged.

Arlet is fun. Why can't an Estonian boy have both some jumping ability AND good skating? He looks more like a French skater than an OES one, and that's not only because of the French language music (is that Stromae?) but the way he moves and the corky choreo.

Jimmy Ma - I didn't really pay any attention to him, and I still don't plan to, but this was a good skate. He's an overall good skater, obviously, but there's something a bit off with his landing technique. Very high jumps and probably not enough control for this height. But I always appreciate some good edges and positions, so good for him. Given he's 28, I somewhat have my doubts for the bright future that expects him, but I'm always there for an old guy.

Memola is still the least favorite of the Italian boys for me, but I kind of have to rethink my opinion about his potential, because well, his jumping technique is excellent. I think it's still too much to ask to have a 195 cm height boy landing quads successfully, but I was impressed. I don't think he's 195, btw, looked shorter to me.

Kevin and his shiny granny's bra didn't really impress me, tbh. A pleasant to see, but I much more enjoyed his spunky "Horns" - that was delightful. This "I'm a Cizeron minus the edges" type of programs is nice but not very original anymore.

I'm having a hard time being invested in the Japanese boys. They are all excellent, and just nothing exciting. I had to look up whether I've seen Shun Sato before, and the answer is "yes", and for the life of me I couldn't remember anything from him. A good skate. Technically he can be a potential medalist at worlds too, but I hope not - there are a lot of guys I'm much more excited about.

Same about Miura. I saw him last year, obviously, and there's not a single cell in my brain that holds any information about him. But real time watching him is more fun, at least there's something original and interesting about this program. Maybe I should invest in him a bit more.

Rizzo is nearing that awkward stage when a "flying stool" is losing his technical superiority and tries to reinvent himself a more all-round skater, usually unsuccessfully. I like him a lot, and I actually think he's a fun skater, but he was totally off and should consider himself very lucky being 6th.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
SP results:

1​
Kao MIURAJPN
93.54​
51.79​
41.75​
8.25​
8.21​
8.54​
0.00​
#11​
2​
Shun SATOJPN
90.41​
49.54​
40.87​
8.07​
8.04​
8.36​
0.00​
#10​
3​
Jimmy MAUSA
80.19​
43.45​
36.74​
7.25​
7.36​
7.39​
0.00​
#7​
4​
Koshiro SHIMADAJPN
77.81​
40.66​
37.15​
7.39​
7.54​
7.32​
0.00​
#5​
5​
Kevin AYMOZFRA
73.94​
31.05​
42.89​
8.61​
8.57​
8.50​
0.00​
#9​
6​
Matteo RIZZOITA
73.37​
34.18​
40.19​
8.14​
7.93​
8.00​
1.00​
#12​
7​
Nikolaj MEMOLAITA
72.11​
36.49​
36.62​
7.36​
7.36​
7.21​
1.00​
#8​
8​
Nikita STAROSTINGER
71.99​
38.65​
33.34​
6.64​
6.71​
6.61​
0.00​
#3​
9​
Liam KAPEIKISUSA
69.10​
36.00​
34.10​
6.82​
6.64​
6.96​
1.00​
#4​
10​
Ivan SHMURATKOUKR
66.30​
32.77​
34.53​
6.89​
7.07​
6.71​
1.00​
#2​
11​
Arlet LEVANDIEST
61.82​
27.10​
35.72​
7.21​
7.18​
7.00​
1.00​
#6​
12​
Makar SUNTSEVFIN
54.44​
26.71​
31.73​
6.50​
6.21​
6.29​
4.00​
#1​

Protocols link: http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------QUAL000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

correct me if I’m drinking, but I think Frangi still has the highest Italian short program score

Milan

does it escape some that Arlet's mother is the super great & elegant Anna Kondrashova of the former USSR?!

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I believe his concept is hips. And shoulders. But mostly hips.
Did I spy a double butt slap there as well?
Levandi needs a freaking 3A!!! If his mother can't teach it, she should send him to a new coach! It's true he's only 17, but this is his second season as a senior if I'm not mistaken. It's really easy at this stage to fall into a routine and neglect the pursuit of new technical content since seniors are usually treated as complete skaters who need to deliver results by their federations rather than as works in progress that should be invested in. He needs a change of scenery before the right age to get a 3A (and a quad!) passes him by.
Sounds like a lot of people talking about Jason Brown years ago.
Very well done for Sato!

While I love his soft flowing style, I would like to see him bring a bit more fire and intensity to this tango.
His jump position is just perfect.
Miura, Kao 🇯🇵
Coach: Noriko Sato, Nobuko Fukui, Koji Okajima
Music: This Place was a Shelter by O. Arnalds

4S+3T
3A
Fly Camel Spin 4
4T
Step Sequence 4 - slight stumble
Ch Comb Spin 4

Ch Sit Spin - no level given

Much better than Skate Canada. Not sure about this program, but his skating quality is evident.

93.54 = 1st Place

Note that Miura's CSSp received 0 points on review :( I had wondered why his Tech score dropped from 55+ to 51+.
So was it not enough revs on each foot or what? I am not up to speed on current rules.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
So was it not enough revs on each foot or what? I am not up to speed on current rules.
I believe it had something to do with the height of his leg as he started the spin - Jackie Wong (RockerSkates) said:
It’s a rule in the short that if you don’t get into the position, then the whole spin is invalidated. Different in the free skate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information