Grand Prix of Espoo 2023 - Rhythm Dance - The Finn-al Countdown.

topaz

7-2 split between Chock & Bates and Fournier Beaudry & Sorenson

6-3 split between Carreira & Ponomarenko and Zingas & Kolesnik

Only two 5s given out by the panel.

Chock & Bates only got one +2 for their twizzles. :shuffle:
Shout out to J5 who gave 8.5 to Chock/Bates in SS and 8.25 to FB/S in SS.

However, the +4 GOE in the MiSt is not good judging in my opinion. +3/4 GOE on the lifts absolutely deserved.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Can Laurence just do all the steps for this team while Nik skates around her looking cute.

Isn't that what they already do?

Laurence & Nikolaj! :cheer2::cheer2:

OK, now that I've given the obligatory 🇨🇦 standing "O", I have to mention that some of those levels NEED to come up. And, I'm looking mostly at YOU, Nikolaj. If you don't want to feel a skate toe pick kicking your very attractive tush, you'd better pick it up a bit.

Still love them though .....

Enjoying your snarks today. Congratulations, FSU has corrupted you! :respec:

Errr, don't pick your nose and then eat it in the k&c, kay?

Who did that??

My sister called just as CPom were about to start, and I kept her on the phone and talking all the way through. Helped with the nerves a little. :lol: Now I have to go back and watch it with the volume up. But happy for a good solid RD! :cheer2:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Isn't that what they already do?

Enjoying your snarks today. Congratulations, FSU has corrupted you! :respec:

Who did that??

My sister called just as CPom were about to start, and I kept her on the phone and talking all the way through. Helped with the nerves a little. :lol: Now I have to go back and watch it with the volume up. But happy for a good solid RD! :cheer2:
If it was we wouldn't be seeing her getting L4 on her steps and him L2's :p

Cayuse

Yuka's mother makes her costumes. I heard her explain on someone's podcast (sorry, just a link I got from FSU) that she wasn't sure how her mother would feel about her wearing a body suit. Her mother agreed to make it, but she definitely wasn't going to include "rocket boobs" (Yuka and Juno's description of Madonna's iconic look.) I agree, it would have been too much.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
MiStW3+MiStM2
Stationary Lift 4
Pattern Step Sequence 2
SqTwW3+SqTwM4 - she checked the rotation of the 3rd set

Choreo Rhythm Sequence

Good skate - still not really impressed with this program.

I am watching now. Me either. Last year I thought they should’ve been on the US worlds team but I’m not impressed with the programs this season. In this costume she’s wearing for Michael Jackson gives hers no neck. I don’t like this program at all and I also still think if you choose Michael Jackson or Madonna -5 points off the start. To me that shows you’re not creative if you go for the obvious.

Michael Jackson Medleys are done every single year regardless, if there’s an 80s theme or not.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Finally, someone did salt and Pepa

I really thought we were gonna see so much creativity when it was announced 80s theme. Like where is tainted love? Where is all the fun stuff?

mtnskater

I really enjoyed Zingas and Kol’s Michael Jackson. And I’m usually :rolleyes: at Michael J programs (the only other one I really liked was Hubbell & Donahue Olympic season). So sharp and both can really move and have great dance moves. They are really getting on my radar for the future if they stay together. I hope they aren’t a couple because….

Bash & Beaumont are lovely skaters who I enjoyed in juniors and here. Nice debut. I noticed a lot of distance between their bodies/hips in dance hold.

Mrazeks are a clinic in power back crossovers but I don’t feel anything with them and don’t feel like I’m seeing dancing, just power skating. She is very young and I hope it comes.

Much preferred Turkilla & Vers even though slower. They always make me feel something. And their dancing is beautiful and memorable to me. Gentle with finess and beautiful lines.

Thought C&P were excellent except for the shaky curve lift and seat of the pants twizzle. They have power too with an engaging, strong performance quality. Really liking them this year.

FB&S just love this team these days. Always look forward to watching them. They melt the ice. Yes, he is still a bit weaker, but he has really improved the last couple of years. Would love to see them medal at Worlds.

Chock & Bates just make everything look seamless and effortless. Yes, twizzles could use more speed but they do other things better than all the other teams. And her performance quality is not matched right now. Love that yellow dress so much!!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
So I had to miss the RD to meet a choose-a-kitchen-counter deadline…yay for replays.

Yuka and Emilia are born performers and so much fun to watch. Technically maybe not the top girls but they dance wonderfully for this theme.

My love for Nadia and Peter continues unabated. So polished for a young team and she nailed the look. Still utterly :confused: Why SCI didn’t give them a host spot instead of the forgettable team that was there.

Mrazeks just need not to sacrifice precision to speed. I’m not sure how to do that, of course, but they look more junior than B/B to me.

Can Christina C and Caroline G skate together? And fix that lift!

Love the Danadians. I don’t think they’re sitting ducks for LaLa, it will be a battle. They’ll always have a better connection to each other and it shows.

After all that, C/B: what can you say. They sell the shit out of it and lifts are the best in the business. Need to rework that middle section where it lags.

I’m really happy with this ‘80s theme, a lot of fun to watch.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

OK watching the rhythm dance and with three teams in it it’s already been a Michael Jackson and a Madonna medley. Oh my goodness. not sure what he’s wearing, doesn’t give me any 80s feel at all.

Nadia and Peter I’ve been wondering where they have been… I still think when juniors come up to seniors they should be guaranteed senior grand prix, like missing Phebe and James from the UK

Jennifer and Benjamin well I appreciate the different fun 80s music

Katerina and Daniel, Laura Branigan now that’s what I’m talking about. Love the speed. And then, right into Bonnie Tyler and what many other teams are doing as well. why just why? Lol.

Juulia and husband Taylor Dayne. Yayyyy 🕺🏼🕺🏼. I’m not sure I understand their costumes or her tutu but ok

Man, I wish somebody had done cold hearted snake by Paula Abdul. That could be such a great program if somebody had chosen that.

Carpon i’m not sure what their costumes has to do with 80s. I think the team that got it right the most are Piper and Paul with their 80s costumes.

top gun Canada, well, I certainly appreciate the theme. Wait a second was that gaga? This is 2022. OK now we’re already into Berlin, way way way too many edits. And now danger zone? Oh my gosh are we already up to six songs at this point? Lol.

OK, Maddie and Evan, serve it. if Maddie taught hip-hop at my gym studio I would be there every day taking her class

goodness has next year’s rhythm dance been announced yet? I think at this point I’m ready for the Viennese waltz.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I really enjoyed Zingas and Kol’s Michael Jackson. And I’m usually :rolleyes: at Michael J programs (the only other one I really liked was Hubbell & Donahue Olympic season).
Teensy correction - HubDon skated to JANET Jackson during the Olympic season. The only top-level team that has had an MJ program in recent years was SinKats back in 2019, IIRC.

Re: ChoBat - I agree with the others who've said the first half really works, but the 2nd half isn't quite there yet. There is something about Madison's movement in the first half of the dance that really captures the music and essence of the '80s. They lose that vibe after the pattern dance element, but if they can find a way to pick it back up/recapture it, that would leave a much stronger impression for the 2nd half. But, on the whole, I really enjoy their RD and find it much better than what the rest of the top 5 have given us this season.

hlp728

Juulia and husband Taylor Dayne. Yayyyy 🕺🏼🕺🏼. I’m not sure I understand their costumes or her tutu but ok

Carpon i’m not sure what their costumes has to do with 80s. I think the team that got it right the most are Piper and Paul with their 80s costumes.
Juulia’s RD costume looks similar to what Taylor Dayne wears in the music video for “Tell It to My Heart.”

Christina’s dress to me has a 1980’s Stevie Nicks vibe as well as a hint of Kelly Kapowski and the Cindy Mancini suede dress from Can’t Buy Me Love.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Juulia’s RD costume looks similar to what Taylor Dayne wears in the music video for “Tell It to My Heart.”

Christina’s dress to me has a 1980’s Stevie Nicks vibe as well as a hint of Kelly Kapowski and the Cindy Mancini suede dress from Can’t Buy Me Love.
I've maintained since CarPon debuted their RD back in August and Christina had her hair pulled back with a barrette in a half up-half down look that she really needed to add a red & gold feather clip to complete the particular '80s look she was going for.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I can definitely see how Christina's costume evokes Stevie Nicks but I feel like the crop top version is very 2020s.
The top looks very silly. And I feel like she should have gone pastel or shimmery—would have evoked Stevie Nicks better than black.
I'm sorry but that little hoppy thing Madison does makes me laugh like how can I take this seriously
I have a hard time taking anything remotely “sexy” with the dimpled and dorky Evan. Always have.
It still kills me to know those twizzles will be +5 by worlds.
Poor ice coverage there for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information