Ilia Malinin Going to the 2025 Four Continents Championship!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Ilia Malinin declared that his main aim in 2025 will be to win the ISU Four Continents Championship in Seoul, Korea, even if it means missing the Art on Ice tour! He is aiming to win the championship that was first won by his mother, Tatiana Malinina, in 1999.

p.s.- It’s April Fools Day. 🤪

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships [Provisional allotment] Feb 04 - Feb 09, 2025 Seoul /KOR
Art on Ice's 2025 tour dates are February 6-15 in Switzerland (Zurich, Fribourg & Davos).
:p

P.S. Yes, I know it's April Fool's Day. ;)

Jammers

I just don't get Ilia not wanting to compete at 4CC every great skater from North America has competed their at once or twice. He can do shows anytime he wants.

skatfan

I just don't get Ilia not wanting to compete at 4CC every great skater from North America has competed there at once or twice. He can do shows anytime he wants.
His parents competed at it. I’m sure they’ve weighed in on its worth. ;) The only time I remember Nathan skating it was the year before Pyeyoungchang Olympics because it was at the Olympic arena.His current strategy seems to be working.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I just don't get Ilia not wanting to compete at 4CC every great skater from North America has competed their at once or twice. He can do shows anytime he wants.
I understood the rationale last season and even this season to an extent. He needed to work on his performance skills and doing shows is a better venue for that than another competition, plus it comes so soon after US Nats that it isn't always ideal to try and ramp up for it.

I do hope that he decides to compete at 4CCs next season - he's never skated in Korea and this would be a good opportunity to get some exposure to that market. Maybe Ari will think about this but probably not. And I'm sure the ISU won't care if Ilia skips 4CCs in favor of Art on Ice as long as he's there for their stupid ISU Awards show.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
His parents competed at it. I’m sure they’ve weighed in on its worth. ;) The only time I remember Nathan skating it was the year before Pyeyoungchang Olympics because it was at the Olympic arena.His current strategy seems to be working.
When Malinina and Skorniakov were still skating, it wasn't like the US consistently (or at all) sent their top teams. When did Kwan, Hughes, or Cohen ever compete for example? The first edition in which Malinina won featured skaters that finished 3rd, 5th, and 6th at US Nationals in the ladies' event. Shepherd Clark and Trifun Zivanovic went while Michael Weiss opted out. It was just finding it's ground and allowing full teams from countries like Mexico the ability to compete at a 'major' international event when they weren't getting Grand Prix nor 'senior B' competitions.

Now, second-tier skaters in the powerhouse countries can be sent to these events and gain valuable World Standing points if need be. Things may have changed and shifted throughout the years (then again, Japan and the US have still sent B-teams here), but I still don't understand the fascination a certain poster has over this event and said skater being a jerk

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Some of us care about history and family pride. At least Ilia and his mom now share the Grand Prix Final championship. I’m sure that the dough 💰 that he earns through Zakarian/Art on Ice makes the family happy…so there. I’ll unjerk him if the parents are happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information