In Memoriam

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

text_skate

RIP Maryse Condé, she was an excellent writer and essayist. I've came across her a couple of decades ago, enjoyed quite a few books and essays, interesting, good stories.
I'd like to recommend her biography "La Vie sans fards" (What Is Africa to Me? Fragments of a True-to-Life Autobiography)

Cachoo

Loved him in Freaks & Geeks, when I heard I quoted a frequent topic of his from the show (dark humor). May he rest in peace.
Here is the best of Mr. Weir in "Freaks and Geeks": That cast, the writing, all of it great---RIP Joe.

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

I wonder to what extent the Brown and Goldman families would be able to sue the estate. I don’t think either family got nearly any of the judgment $$$ from the civil case.

attyfan

I wonder to what extent the Brown and Goldman families would be able to sue the estate. I don’t think either family got nearly any of the judgment $$$ from the civil case.
They can't sue the estate because they already got the judgment against OJ, even if they didn't get paid. They can make a claim on the estate based on those judgments, but I am not sure what they can collect (certain assets may be exempt, etc.) If OJ's estate goes to his kids, I doubt that the Brown family will be making any claim, anyway.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Did he ever look in a mirror?
Exactly. My dad recorded with his VCR each and every day of the trial. I don't know how many VHS tapes he used. He lived in Logansport during that time and was married to my step-mom. My step-mom nearly went crazy because of that! :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
Roberto Cavalli has died at 83:
Roberto Cavalli, the Italian fashion designer who celebrated glamour and excess, sending models down the runway and actresses onto red carpets wearing leopard-print dresses, bejeweled distressed jeans, satin corsets and other unapologetically flashy clothes, has died. He was 83.
His company announced the death on Instagram but provided no details.
Women's Wear Daily:

Sylvia

TBD
Robert MacNeil, creator and first anchor of PBS ‘NewsHour’ nightly newscast, dies at 93:
Robert MacNeil, who created the even-handed, no-frills PBS newscast “The MacNeil-Lehrer NewsHour” in the 1970s and co-anchored the show for with his late partner, Jim Lehrer [died January 23, 2020 at 85], for two decades, died on Friday. He was 93.
MacNeil died of natural causes at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, according to his daughter, Alison MacNeil.
MacNeil first gained prominence for his coverage of the Senate Watergate hearings for the public broadcasting service and began his half-hour “Robert MacNeil Report” on PBS in 1975 with his friend Lehrer as Washington correspondent.
The broadcast became the “MacNeil-Lehrer Report” and then, in 1983, was expanded to an hour and renamed the “MacNeil-Lehrer NewsHour.” The nation’s first one-hour evening news broadcast, and recipient of several Emmy and Peabody awards, it remains on the air today with Geoff Bennett and Amna Nawaz as anchors.
Born in Montreal in 1931, MacNeil was raised in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and graduated from Carleton University in Ottawa in 1955 before moving to London where he began his journalism career with Reuters. He switched to TV news in 1960, taking a job with NBC in London as a foreign correspondent.
In 1963, MacNeil was transferred to NBC’s Washington bureau, where he reported on Civil Rights and the White House. He covered the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in Dallas and spent most of 1964 following the presidential campaign between Kennedy’s successor, Lyndon Johnson, and Republican Barry Goldwater.
In 1965, MacNeil became the New York anchor of the first half-hour weekend network news broadcast, “The Scherer-MacNeil Report” on NBC. While in New York, he also anchored local newscasts and several NBC news documentaries, including “The Big Ear” and “The Right to Bear Arms.”
MacNeil returned to London in 1967 as a reporter for the British Broadcasting Corp.’s “Panorama” series. While with the BBC, be covered such U.S. stories as the clash between anti-war demonstrators and the Chicago police at the 1968 Democratic Convention, and the funerals of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Sen. Robert Kennedy and President Dwight Eisenhower.
In 1971, MacNeil left the BBC to become a senior correspondent for PBS, where he teamed up with Lehrer to co-anchor public television’s Emmy-winning coverage of the Senate Watergate hearings in 1973.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
This is really sad news. Park Boram was with two friends when she was found dead in the bathroom at one of their houses. She was only 30 years old.

Popular K-pop star Park Boram has died at age 30, according to multiple reports.

Several South Korean news outlets including AllKPop reported that a police report stated the singer unexpectedly died on Thursday, April 11 following a private night of drinking with friends, during which she collapsed and was taken to the hospital.

The publication reported that Park was with two friends at one of their homes when she went to the bathroom around 9:55 p.m. and remained there for a while. Eventually, one of the friends reportedly searched the house and found her unconscious, leaning over a sink.

According to The Korea Herald, Park was in cardiac arrest when she was found by the friends.

Park's friends called authorities and attempted to revive her with CPR before she was taken to Hanyang University Guri Hospital and later pronounced dead at 11:17 p.m., per AllKPop. An autopsy will reportedly be conducted soon in an attempt to determine her cause of death.

On April 12, Park's agency Xanadu Entertainment reportedly issued a statement on her death. "Park Bo Ram suddenly left us on the late evening of April 11. Our hearts are deeply troubled as we deliver this sudden news to her fans," read the note, according to AllKPop.

text_skate

R.I.P. I've enjoeyed a lot of Auster's books
and :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information