International Figure Skating magazine & website

Sylvia

TBD
For anyone wondering why IFS magazine's website is down, Jack Gallagher reported at the end of his latest column that Susan Russell has died (no source provided): "....It appears that it may be the end of the line for IFS, as the website has been taken down and no plans have been announced about the magazine's future. Skating journalists at the recent World Junior Championships in Calgary held a small gathering to remember Russell in the Media Room following the final press conference of the event."

Link to IFS' Facebook page (most recent post is dated February 17, 2023): https://www.facebook.com/IFSmagazine/
IFS' Twitter and Instagram accounts have been silent since mid-February.

ETA link to IFS' YT channel (2 skater interviews were published this past fall): https://www.youtube.com/@IFSMagazine

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Susan D. Russell's obituary is published: https://www.legacy.com/ca/obituaries/thestar/name/susan-russell-obituary?id=51566372

RUSSELL, SUSAN D. October 2, 1952 – February 28, 2023 The skating community is saddened to learn of the passing of Susan D. Russell, a longtime figure skating journalist from Toronto and passionate supporter of the sport at all levels. A native of Australia, Susan had a two-decade association with International Figure Skating (IFS) Magazine, first as a freelance photographer, but eventually advancing to writing and senior editing roles. Several years ago, she acquired ownership of the publication from an American company, and also served as its publisher and editor-in-chief. Under her direction, the magazine grew to become a leading voice in the sport, and Susan also worked tirelessly to provide daily updates on IFS' website and social media channels. During her time with IFS, Susan covered four Olympic Winter Games (2006, 2010, 2014 and 2018), numerous World Championships, Grand Prix Finals, and other international competitions, along with being a regular presence at national championships in Canada and the United States. She had planned to be at the recent ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships in Calgary, but sadly passed days before it began. Susan's family is making arrangements for her body to be returned to Australia, where she will be buried in her beloved homeland. A memorial is being planned for Toronto at a future date.

Published by Toronto Star on Apr. 5, 2023.

ETA: Thanks to Europe On Ice for tweeting the link; Skate Canada has since tweeted as well.

Last edited:

sunvalleygirl

Does anyone have any more information about IFS Magazine? Both phone numbers I have don’t work anymore. I sent a check for a year’s renewal and they have never cashed it. Not worried about the money but where is the check sitting? I called about a month ago and didn’t get much info and now that number is out of service. They have managed to cancel phone service and the website management but haven’t notified subscribers of anything. I don’t have an address where the renewals go, I think it’s a different address than the magazine office. Just wondering.

Moto Guzzi

Does anyone have any more information about IFS Magazine? Both phone numbers I have don’t work anymore. I sent a check for a year’s renewal and they have never cashed it. Not worried about the money but where is the check sitting? I called about a month ago and didn’t get much info and now that number is out of service. They have managed to cancel phone service and the website management but haven’t notified subscribers of anything. I don’t have an address where the renewals go, I think it’s a different address than the magazine office. Just wondering.
I renewed by check around the time Susan Russell died but before it was made public. Today my renewal form and check were returned to me with the envelope stamped "Return to Sender, Attempted - Not Known, Unable to Forward" and another stamp "No Longer at PO Box 3000".

I had my bank stop payment on the check when the website was taken down. I used to subscribe to American Skating World and had sent in a renewal check for three years. I was unaware when I sent my check that the publisher had died recently and the newsletter was being discontinued. Instead of doing the honest thing and returning my check, whoever had control of his assets cashed the check and kept the money. I'm glad whoever is handling Susan's affairs has more integrity.

I miss IFS. Thank you, Susan, for all you did for skating.

sunvalleygirl

I renewed by check around the time Susan Russell died but before it was made public. Today my renewal form and check were returned to me with the envelope stamped "Return to Sender, Attempted - Not Known, Unable to Forward" and another stamp "No Longer at PO Box 3000".

I had my bank stop payment on the check when the website was taken down. I used to subscribe to American Skating World and had sent in a renewal check for three years. I was unaware when I sent my check that the publisher had died recently and the newsletter was being discontinued. Instead of doing the honest thing and returning my check, whoever had control of his assets cashed the check and kept the money. I'm glad whoever is handling Susan's affairs has more integrity.

I miss IFS. Thank you, Susan, for all you did for skating.
Thank you for your help. I did put a stop payment on the check last week because I didn’t want it to fall into the wrong hands. I will miss IFS too. The last magazine left is Skating Magazine but they don’t cover much internationally.

caseyedwards

Sad news. I bought the magazine all the time. I had no idea it was largely a one woman show and that it wouldn’t be continued. It was in Barnes and noble for years and years.

YukiNieve

You mean "international figure skating publication" in English, right?

There are various figure skating magazines/magazine books published in Japan.
You will be amazed if you go to the sport section in the bookstores in Tokyo.

One of the long-lasting ones is World Figure Skating, whose latest issue is the 98th.
This issue, for example, has interviews with Chock & Bates, Ilia, Keegan, Adam, Mateo, Jason, Boyang, Daniel, Andrew, Leona, Isabaeu, Jun-hwan, Bradie, Haein, Orser, etc...

One of the most popular magazine books is Figure Skating Life, with more focus on Japanese skaters.

With the development of linguistic AI, I hope that more skating news/articles in Japanese will become readily available for non-Japanese readers...

And I did love and read IFS and still have many past issues at home, and even talked via emails with Susan to ask something about getting extra copies. She was very nice.

ETA: World Figure Skating held a farewell dinner party for Johnny Weir and his fans when Johnny was in Tokyo for Fantasy on Ice show.

Last edited:

sunvalleygirl

You mean "international figure skating publication" in English, right?

There are various figure skating magazines/magazine books published in Japan.
You will be amazed if you go to the sport section in the bookstores in Tokyo.

One of the long-lasting ones is World Figure Skating, whose latest issue is the 98th.
This issue, for example, has interviews with Chock & Bates, Ilia, Keegan, Adam, Mateo, Jason, Boyang, Daniel, Andrew, Leona, Isabaeu, Jun-hwan, Bradie, Haein, Orser, etc...

One of the most popular magazine books is Figure Skating Life, with more focus on Japanese skaters.

With the development of linguistic AI, I hope that more skating news/articles in Japanese will become readily available for non-Japanese readers...

And I did love and read IFS and still have many past issues at home, and even talked via emails with Susan to ask something about getting extra copies. She was very nice.

ETA: World Figure Skating held a farewell dinner party for Johnny Weir and his fans when Johnny was in Tokyo for Fantasy on Ice show.
Yes, I was thinking publications in English 😀. I haven’t mastered any other languages yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information