Jennifer Kirk talks about eating disorders in figure skating on CBC Radio

Perky Shae Lynn

I have so much respect for Jenny. She keeps it real. Eating disorders are a HUGE issue in skating, in sports, and in every day life. I have little boys. Girls in their respective grades (1st and 3rd) are already freaking out about their bodies & looks. Coming home and crying to their mothers that they were called ugly, thick, too dark, too pale, too whatever in school. Ugh.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I'm really proud of Jenny for coming forward about her issues, this is the time for her to do it and make a positive impact on the sport. It needs to be talked about. These skaters get a lot of crap thrown their way constantly, and it's great that she's willing to put herself out there, not hide from it, and get people to talk about something that's genuinely negatively affecting the sport. This is so much bigger of a problem in this sport than anybody here even realizes.

She's got my respect back and I can speak from personal experience working with her that she has a great heart.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I miss Jenny Kirk being a prominent voice in the skating community. I'm glad that she's coaching and contributing to skating in that way, but I also think that it's a shame that someone with her perspective, so well spoken and likeable hasn't continued to cover skating like she did while being a part of the skating lesson. I hope that she continues to be a prominent voice within the skating community

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I can't begin to imagine what it is like for elite skaters to have every detail of their performance and appearance scrutinised. Especially, in the age of the internet, where everyone has the potential to be an armchair critic.

Having said this, I sometimes do freelance work, and there was one client I had a few years ago. She was an older lady involved with skating, and every time I met up with her, she would make subtle yet negative comments about my appearance.

Not that I asked for them (or that I am particularly overweight for that matter), but even as a grown adult, it made me very self conscious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information