Junior Events - Short & Long Programs

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I'm not sure how many of us will be able to watch the Junior events live, so maybe it makes sense to just have everything together in one thread?

Junior Mens SP is starting now: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8qyqb8

Start order:
1 Jacob Cote NS
2 Vladimir Furman QC
3 David Howes MB
4 John Kim ON
5 David Li BC/YK
6 David Shteyngart ON
7 Grayson Long ON
8 Herman Lau ON
9 David Bondar ON
10 William Chan BC/YK
11 Brennan Webb NB
12 Étienne Lacasse QC
13 Neo Tran BC/YK
14 Christopher Manis BC/YK
15 Jake Ellis ON
16 Julien Lévesque QC
17 Terry Yu Tao Jin ON
18 Liam Schmidt QC

JoannaLouise

Davey Howes struggling a bit with the jumps (fall on the lutz, and just squeaking out the 3t-3t combo), but I really appreciate his skating skills and the energy he's bringing to the program.

@shutterbug I hope you're there to cheer for all the MB skaters! Did you bring stuffies for them?

JoannaLouise

Nice 3a from John Kim! :cheer2:

Barely hung on to the 3f-3t combo, but at least no fall. And a very nice 3lz as well.

I know anything can happen when it comes to the men (especially in juniors!), but I'm going to go ahead and pick John for the podium.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Nice 3a from John Kim! :cheer2:

Barely hung on to the 3f-3t combo, but at least no fall. And a very nice 3lz as well.

I know anything can happen when it comes to the men (especially in juniors!), but I'm going to go ahead and pick John for the podium.
Ted & Kaetlyn referred to him as the "wild card" as he didn't compete last year.

JoannaLouise

David Li had some nice spins, and a lovely step sequence with great ice coverage. He showed good patience to hang on to the landing of the 3lz after the error on his combo.

JoannaLouise

David Shteyngart reminds me of Nic Nadeau, both physically (he looks so tall!) and in terms of performance quality. That was a fun program! He's clearly a bit of a ham. :)

JoannaLouise

Standings after Group 1:

John Kim
67.79​
David Shteyngart
65.65​
David Li
61.72​
David Howes
60.08​
Vladimir Furman
51.05​
Jacob Cote
43.53​

I probably won't be able to watch everyone, so if anyone wants to do pbp please jump in!

JoannaLouise

Disaster lutz for Grayson :yikes:

His PCS may keep him in the hunt as long as he has a good performance in the LP.

ETA: Kaetlyn saying that he didn't hold the camel position long enough in the combo spin, so loses credit for that feature.

JoannaLouise

Herman Lau opened with the most beautiful 3lz we've seen today, but then really struggled through the rest of the program. :(

JoannaLouise

A credible 3a attempt from David Bondar, even though it wasn't clean. His other jumps were very secure and he looks like he has solid technique.

I'm looking forward to when these guys move up to senior and we can have the Battle of the Davids. :lol: (3/4 of them did make up the Novice podium a few years ago, if I'm remembering correctly.)

cygnus

A credible 3a attempt from David Bondar, even though it wasn't clean. His other jumps were very secure and he looks like he has solid technique.

I'm looking forward to when these guys move up to senior and we can have the Battle of the Davids. :lol: (3/4 of them did make up the Novice podium a few years ago, if I'm remembering correctly.)
Yes, we have some promising young skaters here. And in some past years I haven't been able to say that.

JoannaLouise

We don't often see skaters from NB at Nationals - nice to see Brennan Webb representing the Maritimes!

Kaetlyn says he was the last qualifier. His jumps were a bit tight, but there were some nice moments in his program, particularly the step sequence, and he looks like he has a solid technique base to work with. He'll surely have a much better finish today than his qualifying spot.

JoannaLouise

I missed most of Etienne Lacasse's skate, but it looked like he was struggling with the jumps; he's not getting a lot of height. Kaetlyn reminded us that he will be competing later in Junior Pairs, which I had forgotten!

Standings after Group 2:

John Kim
67.79​
David Bondar
67.45​
David Shteyngart
65.65​
William Chan
64.74​
David Li
61.72​
David Howes
60.08​
Grayson Long
56.59​
Vladimir Furman
51.05​
Brennan Webb
48.46​
Étienne Lacasse
44.65​
Jacob Cote
43.53​
Herman Lau
35.56​

JoannaLouise

Neo Tran didn't look like he was skating with a ton of speed, but I did enjoy his program overall. I'm assuming the opening combo was supposed to be a 3t-3t; based on his solid 3lz it does look like he's capable of more difficulty.

JoannaLouise

I would like to see more speed from Christopher Manis, and more connection with his music/commitment to the choreography.

JoannaLouise

Jake Ellis has lovely flow and posture, and he's very expressive. Unfortunately the jumps really weren't on his side today. :(

JoannaLouise

Julien Lévesque had such a charming program. Jumps don't seem to be his strength, but I would love to see what he could do in ice dance - he has solid skating skills, control of his edges, and good musical sense.

ETA: Kaetlyn says he's in Novice Dance, so I guess that's my wish granted already! :lol:

JoannaLouise

That was a very enjoyable event! Junior men can be so chaotic; I wonder what the LP has in store for us?

Final SP standings:

1John Kim
67.79​
2David Bondar
67.45​
3David Shteyngart
65.65​
4Terry Yu Tao Jin
65.22​
5William Chan
64.74​
6David Li
61.72​
7David Howes
60.08​
8Grayson Long
56.59​
9Neo Tran
56.26​
10Vladimir Furman
51.05​
11Brennan Webb
48.46​
12Liam Schmidt
48.41​
13Julien Lévesque
47.85​
14Jake Ellis
47.62​
15Étienne Lacasse
44.65​
16Jacob Cote
43.53​
17Christopher Manis
42.25​
18Herman Lau
35.56​

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Host for Jr. Pairs is Kaitlyn Weaver with analyst Kirsten Moore-Towers.

Start order (3 groups of 3 pairs): https://cssterminalserv.skatecanada.ca/results/24CDNSJuniorPairSP1SO.pdf
1 Julia Quattrocchi / Simon Desmarais QC
2 Natalia Custodio / Christopher Hammer AB/NT/NU
3 Jazmine Desrochers / Kieran Thrasher ON
4 Annika Behnke / Kole Sauve AB/NT/NU
5 Beau Callahan / Christophe Roch QC
6 Martina Ariano-Kent / Charly Laliberté-Laure QC
7 Noémie Rolland / Étienne Lacasse QC
8 Ava Kemp / Yohnatan Elizarov ON
9 Megan Yudin / Aidan Wright ON

OOPS - this got posted by 2 of us pretty simultaneously :)

Last edited:

JoannaLouise

Junior Pairs SP warmup is on now!

1 Julia Quattrocchi / Simon Desmarais QC
2 Natalia Custodio / Christopher Hammer AB/NT/NU
3 Jazmine Desrochers / Kieran Thrasher ON
4 Annika Behnke / Kole Sauve AB/NT/NU
5 Beau Callahan / Christophe Roch QC
6 Martina Ariano-Kent / Charly Laliberté-Laure QC
7 Noémie Rolland / Étienne Lacasse QC
8 Ava Kemp / Yohnatan Elizarov ON
9 Megan Yudin / Aidan Wright ON

JoannaLouise

Not the highest level of technical difficulty for Quattrocchi/Desmarais, but all of the elements they did were executed very cleanly and with confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information