Keeping Track of Criminal Cases & SafeSport Suspensions in Skating

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The lawsuit was against eight players. From the TSN report about the 94-page police report:
Other players were witnesses, Younan wrote, adding that, “Others may or may not become suspects.”
There may be others along the way. I don't know anything about whether there can be immunity deals for witnesses in the Canadian court system or if, for example, taking the video of the assault is a criminal offense and can be prosecuted as well.

skategal

Bunny mama
The lawsuit was against eight players. From the TSN report about the 94-page police report:

There may be others along the way. I don't know anything about whether there can be immunity deals for witnesses in the Canadian court system or if, for example, taking the video of the assault is a criminal offense and can be prosecuted as well.
There is a rumour that an eyewitness is corroborating and that some players were present but didn’t take part.

Former Lurve Goddess

X Post/Tweet from Amelia Cline from Gymnasts for Change:
"The sport system needs to be burnt to the ground and rebuilt.The 2018 story is the smallest tip of the iceberg. Nothing has changed, abuse remains rampant and those who actively cover it up have not only never been held accountable but continue to hold positions of leadership"
Amelia also retweeted/reposted this from Samantha of the Broadcast Podcast:
"today and every day, believe survivors. the highest court in canada has acknowledged the legal system is not well equipped to handle sex assault cases. perhaps your trite tweets about legal concepts like presumption of innocence and due process are inapt and unnecessary."

Judy

IMO it's only an important distinction if there is video evidence that that tried to stop what was happening.
Ideally but it doesn’t always work that way. I believe video footage (phone likely) was provided by at least one player that was not ok with it. Without that video evidence there would be nothing. People tend to be naive imo. Very naive.

Vagabond

The ice hockey case has nothing to do with SafeSport or figure skating. Perhaps someone would care to start a new thread about it in Other Sports.

Colonel Green

IMO it's only an important distinction if there is video evidence that they tried to stop what was happening.
From the perspective of criminal liability, if they were present in the room but did not themselves assault the complainant then whether they were considered to be accessories would be very context-dependent. Because at law, as a general rule, you have no responsibility to help anyone — so the prosecution would have to show that they had behaved in such a way as to align themselves with the assaulters.

Former Lurve Goddess

From the perspective of criminal liability, if they were present in the room but did not themselves assault the complainant then whether they were considered to be accessories would be very context-dependent. Because at law, as a general rule, you have no responsibility to help anyone — so the prosecution would have to show that they had behaved in such a way as to align themselves with the assaulters.
However, it is illegal to record sexual acts without consent.

Tangoer

The ice hockey case has nothing to do with SafeSport or figure skating. Perhaps someone would care to start a new thread about it in Other Sports.
Hockey Canada is part of OSIC which also investigates figure skating grievances in Canada so it is interesting to see how the Hockey Canada case was mishandled by OSIC when looking at current figure skating cases before OSIC. Unless the case was “resolved” before they joined OSIC in 2022?

Judy

Hockey Canada is part of OSIC which also investigates figure skating grievances in Canada so it is interesting to see how the Hockey Canada case was mishandled by OSIC when looking at current figure skating cases before OSIC. Unless the case was “resolved” before they joined OSIC in 2022?
OSIC was founded in 2021/2022? It’s tough to say except this crime was already under investigation. 🤷‍♀️

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The original police investigation was closed in 2019. The investigation by Parliament committee and the second investigation were opened in 2022.

Was OSIC officially involved in the Hockey Canada case? If so, when did it become involved?

skategal

Bunny mama
The original police investigation was closed in 2019. The investigation by Parliament committee and the second investigation were opened in 2022.

Was OSIC officially involved in the Hockey Canada case? If so, when did it become involved?
October 2022 Hockey Canada came under the OSIC umbrella.

I don’t know if this case was grandfathered in or not.

But maybe anything related to this case after that date would be?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

IIRC the case was "resolved" by the London police and Hockey Canada refusing to proceed with the complaint. Which is why the complainant went public. I imagine that OSIC would look at that situation and refuse to accept a complaint that had already been rejected twice.

Tangoer

IIRC the case was "resolved" by the London police and Hockey Canada refusing to proceed with the complaint. Which is why the complainant went public. I imagine that OSIC would look at that situation and refuse to accept a complaint that had already been rejected twice.
I am not sure because the cases are sealed unlike Safesport that appears to have a database making things pretty transparent.

It depends on the OSIC code whether the case applies to them, because they investigate different matters than the police or sports federations. They oversee the program signatories so they can decide to investigate what hockey Canada refused to and hold sport federations accountable. As for the police, playing a sport is a privilege not a human right so the OSIC process is separate and would be additional to a criminal one.

The fact the hockey players are now being summoned back to Canada for a reopened criminal case means it was reopened right? I would be interested in seeing whether that changes anything.

IHH0628

Another factor in this is that men in pairs and ice dance IME tend to be treated more leniently because there are relatively fewer of them. Women know that it will be pretty easy for their male pairs or dance partner to find another partner, so they may put up with poor behaviour just to keep the partnership going (NOTE that I am not saying that this is what Laurence has done or is doing, just that it generally can happen).

Also, IME again, pairs and dance guys tend to have a bit of macho swagger, partly because of the gender roles in the sport. Some of them take it a little too much to heart, and take advantage of knowing they're "the guy" and that they can't easily be replaced.

If Sorensen was a singles skater, the dynamics around how to address this situation would be quite different IMO.
In my child's unfortunate experience male singles skaters can have a similar power differential.

IHH0628

I want to apologize for jumping 2 weeks late into the conversation like this. With a family member who profoundly affected by SA perpetrated by a member of the national team I am extremely triggered by this newest accusation. Know without a doubt that the statistics are right: There are countless more victims out there.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I want to apologize for jumping 2 weeks late into the conversation like this. With a family member who profoundly affected by SA perpetrated by a member of the national team I am extremely triggered by this newest accusation. Know without a doubt that the statistics are right: There are countless more victims out there.
Please continue to use your voice as a parent to advocate for victims. Unfortunately I think skaters, coaches, clubs and associations (& fans), continue to deny the realities of the situations. I am so sorry your child went through this.

Tinycities

Debbie S

This quote : :mad:

Grabbing butts of underage children, touching them, hugging them, kissing them — things that are just simply inappropriate for someone over the age of 50,” Hood said.
"Over the age of 50"? How about "anybody"? I'm glad the lawyers are bringing these cases to light but if they would feel differently if the coach was 25, they're part of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information