Kristi Yamaguchi joins Barbie’s “Inspiring Women Series”

Sylvia

TBD
Associated Press article today (April 24, 2022) - Olympian Kristi Yamaguchi is ‘tickled pink’ to inspire a Barbie doll by Terry Tang:
“It’s a huge, huge honor. I think a lot of pride comes along with it, not just recognizing the Olympic achievement, but also being recognized during AAPI Month and following in the footsteps of some incredible women that I idolize — Anna May Wong, Maya Angelou and Rosa Parks,” Yamaguchi told The Associated Press. “It’s hard to see me put in the category with them.”
Yamaguchi, who became the first Asian American to win an individual figure skating gold medal, at the 1992 Winter Olympics, has been immortalized as a doll for Barbie’s “Inspiring Women Series,” Mattel announced Wednesday. The release is timed for Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, in May.
VIDEO (also embedded in the article) is captioned Champion figure skater Kristi Yamaguchi now has her own Barbie. The May release of the doll, part of Barbie’s “Inspiring Women Series,” is timed for Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. (April 23): https://apnews.com/video/san-francisco-new-york-888951b7c9594a2dacc84cbb5e590763

ETA that Tessa Virtue joined Barbie's "Role Models" series (in honor of Barbie's 60th anniversary and International Women's Day) in March 2019: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...doll-tessa-virtue-role-model-series-1.5045638

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Am I remembering correctly that back in the day, when Kristi was world champion and Olympic gold medalist, Mattel/Barbie was one of the companies that was reluctant to hire her as an endorser/spokesperson, because the world apparently wasn't ready for an AAPI Barbie?

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

ETA a correction to an age typo in the article: "Her daughters, Keara, 20, and Emma, 20 18, ..." (as of this Feb. 2024 article: https://people.com/kristi-yamaguchi-and-daughter-keara-attend-shogun-premiere-8583057).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
By Kristi Yamaguchi (May 1):

Excerpts:
In this chapter of my life, I want to give kids that same chance to find their passions and relentlessly pursue them. But there’s a key ingredient to this, and it starts with having a wild imagination and role models whom you can look up to.
There are multiple ways we can cultivate an imaginative spirit in kids. Books, for example, unlock imaginations, and that’s where dreams are born. When children open up a book, they open up their world.
Once I achieved that dream of winning an Olympic gold medal in 1992, I felt like there was something more I could do. I had so much support as a young skater – from my family, community and coaches – and I wanted the same opportunity for other kids.
Through working with children and raising my own girls, I quickly realized that a child’s success in life starts with a foundational education and an interest in reading.
In 1996, I established Always Dream, a nonprofit organization that aims to increase children’s literacy by providing access to books and encouraging families to read together. The name comes from how I signed off when I used to do autographs (“Always Dream, Kristi”) – a piece of inspiration taken from Brian Boitano, who once gave me an autograph signed with the reminder: “Follow your dreams.”
I couldn’t be more thrilled that as part of our partnership, Barbie will be donating to my organization and helping to empower Asian American women and girls, while also increasing educational resources for all young girls.
As a mother of two daughters, I’m grateful for how far we’ve come in encouraging young girls to dream big – and I know that Barbie’s work to tell more diverse stories has played a part in that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information