Lori Nichol

arakwafan2006

Hello,
I knew that this day would come one day but, it seems like Lori is truly waning in popularity and i do not know why. I have some ideas such as, she is not strongly attached to a coach like Frank Carrol. She does work with Lee Barkell and the Chinese but, i think that's it. I don't know how a skater would not look at for instance what she gave Satoko over the past couple seasons and not run to her but I am a bit sad. I know that Lori's price tag is steep but, man do you get what you pay for.

Am i missing something? Have i just not looked closely at who she's working with? I hope so and hope more that that, that she is being phazed out. To be honest, I miss Marina's aesthetic in dance and sometimes pairs ( not singles) and the creations have been so bad in some cases, especially in Russia that i have... (bringing myself to type it), missed Morozov's work. Anyhow, i just wanted to ask. Lori has historically been strategic with her interviews as well so her visibility is sparse. She, is truly the best in that unlike some choreographers that give choreography, Lori, gives repertoire to her students and looks to create meaningful creations that stretch he skater and improves them.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I thought her work with the Chinese pairs teams was exclusive, so she isn't able to work with other countries' teams. Could be wrong, though.

Sylvia

TBD
I don't know how a skater would not look at for instance what she gave Satoko over the past couple seasons and not run to her.
April 2022 article:

This was posted in last season's U.S. Men's news & updates thread after Vincent Zhou won 2021 Nebelhorn Trophy:
... I credit Lori Nichol for helping Vincent find his inner artist.

Vincent participated in some jump competitions earlier in the season. I watched the videos. When Vincent was just skating from one end of the rink to the other setting up jumps, he looked very much like the old Vincent, but when you put Vincent in a Lori Nichol program...he transforms...he starts listening to the music...and using the music to express choreographic points... he starts stretching and extending...he holds his head up in a Lori Nichol program (rather than his old tendency to look down at the Ice)...Vincent really commits to the choreography (in a Lori program). I really appreciate Lori Nichol's work with Vincent.
Nichol also has choreographed for Yuma Kagiyama -- starting in the 2020-21 season -- and is listed as the choreographer of his 2022-23 FS to Ezio Bosso's "Rain, In Your Black Eyes": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuma_Kagiyama#Programs

Marco

I love it when she partners with inner artists like Michelle, Mao, Carolina and Satoko.

But I don't think her popularity has waned so much as the pandemic has simply reduced overall skating activities / competitions in the past 2 season or so, plus (up until this season) the dominance of the Russian ladies meant her work wasn't featured so much by medalists / final flight skaters like a few years ago.

I would love it if she could work with Rino.

cohkaix

Yes, Hamada’s Jr students still work with Lori. Hana Yosida’s SP this season is a great Jr. level program (her FS is by Dickson). And I’m definitely looking forward to Mao’s FS: with a potential to become a podium making program at JWC (hopefully, and after watching the program twice via video before JGP starts)

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I think Lori is a talented choreographer, but like any successful choreographer the programs start to look alike. It's true for any successful choreographer.

puglover

I thought someone had recommended Lori a few years ago for T/M and Trankov had said that she was working exclusively with Chinese teams. She is listed year after year for Sui and Han including this last Olympic year where she did their short program to "Mission Impossible" and free to "Bridge Over Troubled Water". In the two years before that she did 2 blues short programs and then the free "Rain in Your Black Eyes" which they kept for two years and was a fan favourite.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
This is not a diss on Lori by any means (it's a diss on another choreographer :p) but people in any situation that involves rewards, like winning, do what gets rewarded. As @Bouffantrex says, when badly constructed ugly programs get high points and help skaters to win, what is the motivation to use a choreographer who cares about artistry and interpreting the music?

VGThuy

These were not the first programs she did and these were not even the first programs she did for Kwan but I do believe these are the two programs that turned Lori into a “must have” choreographer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information