Music when we were young

Xela M

I have always loved soundtracks from musicals - starting with Lady and the Tramp, Annie, Grease and old stuff like Judy Garland and Shirley temple to Mamma Mia! Rock of Ages, Phantom etc.

I have passed on the Carly Simon to my daughter as well as musicals. It's something fun we share. I liked oldies like Jim Morrison when i was in HS as well. Kind of funny, but since I didn't listen to music of my age peers, the new oldies radio stations play all the stuff I missed. :D

Love musicals and Jim Morrison is one of the sexiest people who ever lived. His voice is intoxicating

quartz

scratching at the light
Oh, she has lots of great music! Check out the albums Anticipation, No Secrets, Boys in the Trees, Comin' Around Again, etc. If you're pressed for time, check out "The Best of Carly Simon."
I do know Carly. This post was in reference to me getting all butt hurt over something someone posted in another thread. ;)

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Regarding Carly Simon. I have a huge collection of her music which includes albums and cassettes. Carly Simon, Carole King and Stevie Nicks are my favorite female singers of all time.

I love all of Carly's music. However there is one song I particularly love more than any of her other hits, etc.

I Get Along Without You Very Well

PeterG

Regarding Carly Simon. I have a huge collection of her music which includes albums and cassettes. Carly Simon, Carole King and Stevie Nicks are my favorite female singers of all time.

I love all of Carly's music. However there is one song I particularly love more than any of her other hits, etc.

I Get Along Without You Very Well

That song is from Simon's 1981 album, "Torch". One of the most under-appreciated albums of all time in my opinion. Two years before Linda Ronstadt released her "What's New" album, so as far as I'm aware, it was the first time a contemporary singer did an album of standards. So (maybe) Simon was there first! :) My favourite from the album is her version of Not A Day Goes By. Stunning and haunting both.

topaz

I was born in 1970 so some of my earliest memories(my family tells me I stood up in a restaurant at the age of 3 or 4 and sung Smokey Robinson's "Oh Baby Baby". I don't remember this). I would say I remember disco and funk as prominently in when I was 8 years old. I recall using my allowance money to buy Sister Sledge "We are Family" album. I recall buying the Grease soundtrack too. But I really started to understand and listen to music when I was 10 or 11 years old. I loved Blondie, David Bowie, Queen, Duran Duran, Prince and Rick Springfield as a pre teen. Early hip hop like Africa Bambaataa, Whodini, LL Cool J, Kurtis Blow and other I listened to alot in my preteen/early teen years. Teen years, I listened to and loved Janet Jackson, Wham!, Prince, Public Enemy, Culture Club, The Cure, Depeche Mode and etc. I love all things 80s music, Glam Rock of the 70s, New Wave and R&B.

*Story - when I was in the 7th or 8th grade I went to a small private school. We would have "sock hops" on Friday afternoons. The teachers would let us bring our own music and dance for a hour or so. I brought in a Prince album called "Controversy". My mom did not know I had bought the album(in cassette form) with my allowance money. Anyway, I brought in the CD and ask the teacher to play the title song. After the sock hop, Mrs Greene(my teacher) asked me politely NOT to bring in this cassette anymore as it contained some inappropriate songs. I apparently did not know that "Do me baby", Sexuality and Jack U off were "inappropriate". The innocense of youth. I did know that Prince was "sexual' but I did not know to the existent of that. I was attracted to his sexy nature :)

I started listening to oldies(50s) and 60s in my early twenties.

Last edited:

aliceanne

My first music memories were Motown and the Beatles. I was 11 when the Beatles first came to America, and although they dominated the top 40 playlists, I don't think they were a guy thing. I look at all those clips of Beatles concerts and there will be one or 2 boys (presumably dates) looking stone-faced amid all those girls screaming, crying, and tearing their hair out.

All our school dances were dominated by the Temptations, 4 Tops, Supremes, and Smokey Robinson.

Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools" really resonated with all the 7th grade girls. We fully appreciated the torture of being with a no-good man, and looked forward to experiencing it some day.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Resurrecting this thread because tomorrow is the anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Gordon Lightfoot & 'Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald' (has a link to the song & an interview with Gordon Lightfoot):

http://communityvoices.post-gazette...rdon-lightfoot-wreck-of-the-edmund-fitzgerald

Lightfoot's tribute to the Edmund Fitzgerald continues to give it life beyond its watery grave :

http://www.startribune.com/lightfoo...-it-life-beyond-its-watery-grave/343871892/#1
Lightfoot said that he wrote the ballad after reading about the sinking in Newsweek.

Indeed, reporter James R. Gaines wrote an evocative account that began: “According to a legend of the Chippewa tribe, the lake they once called Gitche Gumee ‘never gives up her dead.’ ”

With its haunting guitar line and the lilting, wave train waltz of a sea shanty, the song epitomizes how powerful the junction between history and music can be.
I visited Orillia, ONT in 1987 (also Brian Orser country!) & have been to many Gordon Lightfoot concerts, most recently about 6 years ago when he did not look well & his voice wasn't what it used to be. But no one can take away those songs. Sing one tomorrow for Gordon Lightfoot.

paskatefan

Oh, boy! Another Lightfoot fan! Yes, he has had his health issues, and his voice is not the same as it used to be, but what an amazing repertoire! We saw him most recently in concert this past July (first time we ever saw him in concert goes back to 1977). :encore:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
When I was an angsty ninth grader mooning after this boy or that, "If You Could Read my Mind" was my favorite song. Of course, listening to it now, it's very much about a grownup relationship not working out, but it's still a folk masterpiece.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Carly Simon finally makes it official, at least for the 2nd verse -

Carly Simon: Warren Beatty was 'You're So Vain' subject :

http://www.mercurynews.com/celebrities/ci_29134128/carly-simon-warren-beatty-was-youre-so-vain
Carly Simon Let's Her Big Secret Out
It has been over forty years and Carly Simon is finally coming clean about the subject of her infamous song 'You're So Vain." The 70-year-old singer told People magazine that she's "confirmed that the second verse is Warren." That's Warren Beatty, Hollywood icon. The subjects behind "You're So Vain," released in 1972, have been a matter of speculation for years. The singer revealed her No. 1 hit is about three men, including Beatty, though she isn't naming the others just yet.
I always thought the first verse sounded so Beatty (apricot scarf), but instead he's the clouds in the coffee! :)
You had me several years ago when I was still quite naive
Well you said that we made such a pretty pair
And that you would never leave
But you gave away the things you loved and one of them was me
I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee
Clouds in my coffee, and...
Anyway she has a new autobiography, & it sounds like apricot scarf is still alive, so we shall see if she ever names the other two.

Tinami Amori

To anyone Russian out here, my dad used to listen to Vladimir Vysotsky in his car and I still absolutely adore his songs and actually have them on my iphone.

:D лукоморья больше нет...... от дубов пропал и след....... дуб годится на паркет...... так ведь нет... True today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4pUMIFJB60

... протоми ты мне баньку по белому...... a man comes out Stalin prison and still has his tatoo and devotion to him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncIIG-p01KQ&spfreload=10

...... next generation after WWII.......... we still want to carry the knifes........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_DQWWbC8dc

всего там так много

Thank you! someone listens to good stuff.

Xela M

:D лукоморья больше нет...... от дубов пропал и след....... дуб годится на паркет...... так ведь нет... True today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4pUMIFJB60

... протоми ты мне баньку по белому...... a man comes out Stalin prison and still has his tatoo and devotion to him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncIIG-p01KQ&spfreload=10

...... next generation after WWII.......... we still want to carry the knifes........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_DQWWbC8dc

всего там так много

Thank you! someone listens to good stuff.

He was a true poet! Unbelievable texts to his songs from the hilarious to the tragic, about any topic as if he had lived it himself - Stalin's camps, war, mountaineering etc. Even though he had never experieneced either.

What a tragedy that he was an alcoholic and died so young. He actually once visited my grandparents' home in Moscow through mutual friends (unfortunately I wasn't born yet) and he played his then new song about a spy with gloves. But apparently, he got drunk very quickly and wasn't such great company in real life.

I still get goose bumps listening to some of his songs! "About the one who did not shoot..." or "All corridors end with walls..."

Tinami Amori

I still get goose bumps listening to some of his songs! "About the one who did not shoot..." or "All corridors end with walls..."

I quote him a lot, still.... and i was 13 when i left Moscow in '74.... and still his work has meaning for me.

This is pretty much about me, only a decade later than he's describing.....

Все - от нас до почти годовалых -
"Толковищу" вели до кровянки,-
А в подвалах и полуподвалах
Ребятишкам хотелось под танки.
Не досталось им даже по пуле -
В "ремеслухе" живи да тужи;
Ни дерзнуть, ни рискнуть,- но рискнули
Из напильников сделать ножи.

:=)

Susan1

(I seem to be having a chatty day here; nobody else to talk to...)

Does anyone else's classic rock station play Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving NOT MACY'S) Day? It's hysterical. I've listened to it every year as long as I can remember. Stopping whatever I was doing for 18 minutes at noon. I'm not even old enough to know anyone who went to Vietnam and little ol' Miamisburg, Ohio didn't really have any actual hippies, but it's just a tradition.

If you are old enough to appreciate hippies and Vietnam, check out WTUE, 104.7 (online) at noon on Thanksgiving. Don't be confused if another song is on. They usually play something that runs a couple minutes long anymore. I'm sure it's also on Youtube, but it's more fun to just listen to it on the radio once a year.

Off to go to the gas station with my 40 cents off Kroger fuel points...........

Susan1

I bet they had some hippies in Miamisburg. They just left town for hipper places. :lol:

Apparently! But, hey, we had a sit-in in 9th grade (1973) to protest the cafeteria food! (I came from a Catholic school where you had to eat everything on your sectioned plate or pack a lunch, so I sure didn't notice anything wrong with the food in public school. It was so cool to be able to just get french fries and an ice cream bar if I wanted!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information